X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of Kosminski"s patch in the City

1.Leadenhall Street early on a Saturday morning
    2.Leadenhall Market also out of working hours
    3. The historic Aldgate Pump,looking at Aldgate and St Botolphs in distance-which is at the bottom of Houndsditch.The Aldgate pump itself marks the junction of Leadenhall Street ,Fenchurch Street and Aldgate and takes in Mitre Street -between taxi and blue car on mid left of picture-Mitre Street leads to Mitre Square.Picture is taken looking East .
    4.Houndsditch,also one Saturday morning just before Xmas 2007
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 04-06-2008, 02:10 PM.

1.another shot of Leadenhall Market,this time at Christmas.All the East Enders characters of 1888 would have been familiar with this,just like Spitalfields Market because it was a centre of cheap goods,just at the top of Leadenhall Street-patrolled by PC Watkins on the night of the Mitre Square Murder.In the newspaper article on Kosminski 1889 it says dogs were bought there.
    After leaving Leadenhall Street PC Watkins turned into Mitre Street then into Mitre Square.

2.Mitre Square-site of crime scene today.

Very Sorry something has gone wrong here and the wrong images have come up.They are from a set I took just before Christmas and posted on the previous message boards---oh well .......I will try to get the proper ones on now

I cant delete these last two placed by accident as my computer will only let me edit script

4.This is Carter Lane,a little further into The City.I am standing outside one of the original Barber"s shops of Carter Lane[1840's], with the old Barber"s sign of a red and white Pole indicating "surgery" could be done there-a sort of "bandage" sign!Jacob Cohen"s and his dog lived in Carter Lane!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 04-06-2008, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Well that was a bit farcical----sorry about that.Dont know quite what went wrong but I was trying to edit some photos I posted ages ago -at Christmas-anyway-this is one of the Barbers shops in Carter Lane -where Jacob Cohen lived.It was built before 1840 so was there when Aaron was walking the dog that belonged to Jacob Cohen.Both Jacob and his dog lived in Carter Lane,a place that still has several Barber shops of that time still oprating.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Natalie Severn; 04-06-2008, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Hi Nats
        many thanks for these - they are very much appreciated
        Hope all is well
        Chris

Comment

Excellent photos, Natalie. Thanks for that.
          Makes me miss London.

All the best
          The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Don't apologise for these Christmas shots, they are wonderful.
            I love the glare off the lights on the tree and high above in the market place.
            Great pictures, whose the young lady in them all??
            Regards Mike

Comment

1.Typical Cheapside narrow street called Martin Lane which leads to the River Thames.The street I took the photo from is Cannon Street,which leads on into Carter Lane-see above.So if Kosminski walked the dog from Carter Lane he probably passed Martin Lane which is on the way to Leadenhall Market.

2.sign on Barber shop

3.sign on Barber Shop showing date of shop.

4. Maybe just a bit of fun but a bit strange....?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                4. Maybe just a bit of fun but a bit strange....?
                What I would give to knock on the door and ask..."How much for a lady"...
                Regards Mike

Comment

Many Thanks Glenn,Chris and Mike.Glad you like them.
                  Mike,the one of me [no "young" lady but I like the compliment ]is taken in front of the Leadenhall Market Christmas Tree and one I took and posted here at Christmas last and instead of being deleted its come on twice!!!
                  Glad you like the lights in it....the place looked really resplendent at Christmas I must say.

Comment

A few more pics of the City etc

1.Minories-just a continuation of Houndsditch really.Starts at junction with Aldgate where it changes its name to Aldgate High Street.St Botolphs is at the junction itself.
                    2.Wardrobe Place-17th century square off Carter Lane

3."Free Beer" sign in the Carter Lane ,Barber Shop window.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The "Free Beer" thing is becoming quite common in Hull at the moment, especially in the smaller barbershops.

I suspect it is to draw the men away from the barbershops along the High Streets who charge silly price for a short back and sides!!

I was suprised to learn a friend of mine recently paid £65 for a hair cut recently, it looks like a lions mane/mullet and he never got a free beer!!
                      Regards Mike

Comment

Mike,
                        This place looked like it was for city kids with lots of spare cash.But Carter Lane is amazing.It looks like it hasnt changed in 120 years!
                        BTW,glad you were able to retrieve all your stuff-and I"m looking forward to reading your piece on Deeming-I havent had time yet.

Comment

This is where "Cheapside" begins-strictly speaking

and therefore is the area that Aaron Kosminski walked Jacob Cohen"s dog -which got him in trouble with the law in December 1889 because it wasnt wearing a muzzle.
                          Picture 1 The church of St Stephen Walbrook,otherwise known as The Lord Mayor"s Church situated alongside Mansion House.It was Christopher Wren"s favourite church of all those he designed.

Picture 2
                          Its fabulous interior.Its altar was bombed during WW2 and the sculptor Henry Moore redesigned a new altar for it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

St Mary Le Bow -Cheapsides most famous Church

This is the legendary church whose bells famously called, "Turn again Whittington, Lord Mayor of London".
                            It is also in the nursery rhyme "Oranges and Lemons"----the great church of Bow
                            and to be a true Cockney legend has it that you have to be within the sound of the Bells of this church in Cheapside together with the sound of the bells of Bow Church in the East End!
                            -the church stands close to St Paul"s Cathedral----all these churches were rebuilt by Wren
                            Attached Files

Comment

More views from Cheapside itself

narrow streets leading off to St Paul"s Cathedral
                              Kosminski may have gone down this street and crossed back to Carter Lane ---where Cohen lived with his dog!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X