Mitre Square land tax assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Square land tax assessment

I'm not sure whether this will be of any use to anyone, but I was looking through some City of London land tax assessments, and thought I might as well take a picture of the one for Mitre Square. This is for "the year 1888, ending 24th March 1889" [LMA MS 11316/478].

If anyone would like a higher-resolution version, they should send me a private message.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MitreSquare1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	670087

Click image for larger version

Name:	MitreSquare2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	670088

I didn’t want to start a thread just for this but I was looking at census records and came up with a blank for my line of enquiry. It involved looking at the returns for Mitre Square/Street in 1891 and 1901 and thought I would reproduce them in case anyone is interested.
    There were two unrelated George Clapps born in the East End within a couple of years of each other. For my purposes I discovered that the Mitre Square one is the wrong one!
    The slight remaining point of interest is that his wife Sarah Ann was 16 years older than him! She was ill on the night of the murder, and no wonder he didn’t hear anything with Mrs Tew the nurse about the house.

I wonder if there was access from the square into their yard?

Attached Files
    Last edited by Lechmere; 06-24-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

1901 census
      Attached Files

Comment

I wonder if there was access from the square into their yard?
        From what I can figure, there wasnt. Also, Heydemanns yard was checked by Watkins and found to be locked securely.

Chris,

Didnt you release this Land Tax info a while back? Because I have a copy and know someone sent it to me but cant recall who (thank you whoever you are, apologies for not remembering, I shall slap my hand).

Attached are a couple of snippets re Mitre Square which may interest someone. Ill let y'all figure them out however if you want further info just shout up.

Monty
        Attached Files
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
          Chris,

Didnt you release this Land Tax info a while back? Because I have a copy and know someone sent it to me but cant recall who (thank you whoever you are, apologies for not remembering, I shall slap my hand).
          Yes, I was the one. (Lechmere was responding to my post from last year.)

Comment

Here's the 1911 summary sheet.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X