Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockney Dialect To Disappear

Rest in Peace

This is London magazine has been established for over 65 years, providing readers with information about events, exhibitions, music, concerts, theatre and dining. As life returns to normal, Londoners are heading back into the Capital and many visitors are already coming from further afield.

I live in London and believe me, this is all true
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

The Cockney accent has been moving eastwards for generations. My mother's family started to move out of the docklands area out to Walthamstow in the early 1900s. As they prospered, they were able to buy nice houses 'in the countryside' and travel in to work on the trains. Many of my family still live in the Walthamstow/Chingford area and their accents are strictly cockney. I moved north 21 years ago and, although it is obvious I am from the London region, I do not have a cockney accent at all.

Many east enders moved out to the suburbs follwoing the second world war as they were re-housed on estates in places such as Dagenham, Debden, Harlow, Stevenage, Chingford etc. You can still hear braod London accents in these places. Take Barry Fry, a native of Bedfordshire. Is it Cockney or Mockney he speaks?

Comment

How I would have loved to talk to you Julie about these movements in vowel sounds and dialect when I was doing my M.Phil in 1888 ! I spent two years just studying accent , dialect and bilingualism in order to determine its effect, on the educational attainment of bidialectal and bilingual children in our schools.Of all the dialects in Britain, Cockney and Scouse are considered to be the most vibrant and imaginative in the words and expressions coined---but Cockney Rhyming Slang came out the tops for sheer inventiveness!
      Cheers
      Norma

Comment

Hi all..

What a rediculous theory...no more cockney dialect in the East End...

About as rediculous as the Jafaicans.

Believe me.... cockney aint going nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by anna View Post
          Hi all..

What a rediculous theory...no more cockney dialect in the East End...

About as rediculous as the Jafaicans.

Believe me.... cockney aint going nowhere.
          Someone's 'avin' a giraffe.

Comment

Hi Limehouse,

You are quite right to say that the cockney accent has moved out of London to the outlying counties, but regretably that seems to have been at the cost of the original Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire accents.

On a recent trip to Peterborough I noticed that the old "Fens" accent is giving way to both cockney and this jibberish they call Jafaicans

Rgds
            John

Comment

They are most certainly Chris...anyone believing that article.

And anyone who walks around wearing trousers so low everyone has to see their underwear....call each other "Bruv",and listen to "rap"...

Jaifricans...yawn....just another made up excuse to follow like sheep.

The majority of the little kids of many races are speaking with a cockney dialect in the East End.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                How I would have loved to talk to you Julie about these movements in vowel sounds and dialect when I was doing my M.Phil in 1888 ! I spent two years just studying accent , dialect and bilingualism in order to determine its effect, on the educational attainment of bidialectal and bilingual children in our schools.Of all the dialects in Britain, Cockney and Scouse are considered to be the most vibrant and imaginative in the words and expressions coined---but Cockney Rhyming Slang came out the tops for sheer inventiveness!
                Cheers
                Norma
                This is so exciting Norma. I'll PM you as I believe we have a lot in common concerning our areas of study.

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
                  Hi Limehouse,

You are quite right to say that the cockney accent has moved out of London to the outlying counties, but regretably that seems to have been at the cost of the original Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire accents.

On a recent trip to Peterborough I noticed that the old "Fens" accent is giving way to both cockney and this jibberish they call Jafaicans

Rgds
                  John
                  Hi John,

I live in Peterborough and you a right. When I first moved here, the Fen accent could be heard frequently everywhere. Now days, you have to go out of town - say to Yaxley, March, Whittlesey etc to hear the accent. Some of my husband's friends (and actually his younger brother) do have strong fenland accents.

I don't hear many cockney accents here - but do hear Jafaican and, strangelyu enough, it seems to eminate from second generation kids whose parents were born elsewhere. It is also taken up by recent immigrant kids, particularly those from eastern Europe.

I love living here! I love being surrounded to different languages, accents, dialicts etc.

Comment

Just had a butcher's at this thread. Are the Cockneys being disemvowelled?

Comment

'ere now

Hello Robert. Right. I think the accent is 'avin' a vowel movement.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                        How I would have loved to talk to you Julie about these movements in vowel sounds and dialect when I was doing my M.Phil in 1888 !
                        Well would you Adam & Eve it? I'd never have said you were that old, Nats!

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                          Well would you Adam & Eve it? I'd never have said you were that old, Nats!

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          Well Caz that certainly made me laugh out loud !

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            I knew someone would pick up this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              'aven't they always 'ad trouble pronouncing their vowels?

Comment

Working...
                              X