Hiding in the Vigilance Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding in the Vigilance Committee

Would anyone like to discuss the possibility that the killer was a member of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee and what advantages this would have offered him?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.
    "We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

sensible

Hello Ham. The "killer" could indeed have been a member of the Mile End Vigilance Committee.

This would be an eminently sensible move on his part--especially if he were cognisant of the first 2 killings and their particulars AND contemplated a possible later "house cleaning" for whatever reason. That would be its advantage.

Of course, I am merely pointing out a possibility--not necessarily my own opinion.

Good thinking!

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello Ham. The "killer" could indeed have been a member of the Mile End Vigilance Committee.

This would be an eminently sensible move on his part--especially if he were cognisant of the first 2 killings and their particulars AND contemplated a possible later "house cleaning" for whatever reason. That would be its advantage.

Of course, I am merely pointing out a possibility--not necessarily my own opinion.

Good thinking!

Cheers.
      LC

Hi Lynn,

Sensible indeed! And you'd think the members of the committee must have been watching each other to some degree since the possiblity must have occurred to at least some of them. Perhaps they had some way of vetting members, perhaps not.

Oh the endless conjecture!

Dean
      "We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

Comment

possibilities

Hello Ham. "[Y]ou'd think the members of the committee must have been watching each other to some degree since the possib[i]lity must have occurred to at least some of them."

Good point. Of course, all of us have tunnel vision at some juncture. Perhaps they were so single minded that they were not alive to that option?

At any rate, as you say, there is much room for fascinating (and perhaps fruitful) conjecture.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

VC strategies.................

It makes one wonder what were the rules or strategies of the VC? Was it like kids playing hide and seek..........you two guys take Berner St.....you three guys work commercial road..split up and meet in the middle.........stuff like that....I wonder if anyone knows how they went about there surveillance....? How many were there? How long did they stay out?
          Did they work alone? Many questions....If JtR was in there...he must have felt he had the privacy and the time and an undercover normal outfit that wouldn't arouse suspicion in order to do his deed......disappear and clean up.....and then perhaps return as a shocked vigilante..Leads to many thoughts....I'm sure someone knows something about the VC....I sure don't...

Greg

Comment

It makes one wonder what were the rules or strategies of the VC? Was it like kids playing hide and seek..........you two guys take Berner St.....you three guys work commercial road..split up and meet in the middle.........stuff like that....I wonder if anyone knows how they went about there surveillance....? How many were there? How long did they stay out?

This would seem to be Monty's cue to enter stage left and provide the answers.

I say this, Greg, because Monty has made a real study of the various vigilance committees in operation in Whitechapel during the fall of 1988.

Don.
            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

VC.........

Thanks Don,

I expected someone would know such things and perhaps pipe in.....very important especially if we analyze Le Grand via his VC membership as regards
              T. Westcott's essay................

Greg

Comment

Members Only?

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                Hi guys.

I'd be very interested to hear what Monty has to say on this subject.

One thing I've always wondered is whether the vigilance committee meetings were 'closed' and confidential, strictly 'members only',
                or if "concerned citizens" were allowed to attend on an informal basis?

After the meetings, did some members gather informally for a pint and a chat that others could possibly overhear?
                Attending and listening would have been quite a lark for the killer.

Best regards,
                Archaic
                Last edited by Archaic; 06-24-2010, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Supe

I say this, Greg, because Monty has made a real study of the various vigilance committees in operation in Whitechapel during the fall of 1988.
                  Great pitch for the new Examiner you did there, Don. You're a regular PT Barnum.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Photographs of Vigilance Committee Members?

I have another question about the vigilance committees.

Does anybody know if there are any photographs of the different committees, such as the Mile End Vigilance Committee?

Victorians were very fond of documenting important occasions, undertakings, and groups of people via photography. It seems likely that they would have taken photos of committee members, or at least of some of them. (Maybe as a smaller group.)
                    Their names weren't secret, so I think it unlikely that they avoided a photograph for security concerns. Besides, a photo would be in private hands and not necessarily on public display.

If a photo was taken I would expect Lusk to have a copy.
                    Has anybody ever looked into what happened to Lusk's estate when he passed away?

Thanks and best regards,
                    Archaic
                    Last edited by Archaic; 06-24-2010, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Neils article on the Vigilance Committee (titled 'Defenceless Whitechapel') appeared in Ripperologist number 95, and very good it is.

Rob

Comment

Hi Archaic, I know that we have photographs of three members - Lusk, George Reeves, and Charles Le Grand. There probably are photos of other members out there, such as Joseph Aarons, who in my estimation was the true leader of the Vigilance, but none of been looked for or found. I doubt a group photo was ever taken.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                          Neils article on the Vigilance Committee (titled 'Defenceless Whitechapel') appeared in Ripperologist number 95, and very good it is.

Rob
                          Someone read it !

Cheers mate....not good enough to win a Beadle award though....not that you remind me huh?

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Someone read it !

Cheers mate....not good enough to win a Beadle award though....not that you remind me huh?

Monty
                            I just looked at the pictures

Seriously it was a good read.

Rob

P.S. put a cheque in the post

Comment

I found Monty's article detailed and well-researched, if a bit rose-tinted, but that's just a matter of our differing perspectives. I have it printed out and on my table at home as we speak, because I intend to consult it for my book.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X