Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here live in Wales?

Whats up everyone,
    I was just wondering if anybody here lives or has lived in Wales? I'm a big Joe Calzaghe fan and was watching some interviews with him at his gym in Newbridge and it looks like a real rugged, medieval (sorry thats the only word I can think of but I think you get my drift) type place. I guess what I mean is I've heard Wales has kept more of the Celtic traditions and history alive more than the other UK countries. I know theres tons of castles and tradition there. If someone could give me a overview of the place I would GREATLY appreciate it. (Maybe along with some cool places to consider visiting) I may even visit there someday.
    Thanks in advance guys,
    Jordan

Originally posted by ChainzCooper View Post
    Whats up everyone,
    I was just wondering if anybody here lives or has lived in Wales? I'm a big Joe Calzaghe fan and was watching some interviews with him at his gym in Newbridge and it looks like a real rugged, medieval (sorry thats the only word I can think of but I think you get my drift) type place. I guess what I mean is I've heard Wales has kept more of the Celtic traditions and history alive more than the other UK countries. I know theres tons of castles and tradition there. If someone could give me a overview of the place I would GREATLY appreciate it. (Maybe along with some cool places to consider visiting) I may even visit there someday.
    Thanks in advance guys,
    Jordan

Bob Hinton is your man in Wales. He leads tours and writes about Wales.

C
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I lived just down the road from Newbridge, next village down, for a lot of years. Parents are still there. I wouldn't call it medieval; but I would call it pretty bloody basic and not too many airs and graces along the valleys. Newbridge is part of old mining (coal) territory, so a lot of the housing reflects that (lots of little old terraced miners' cottages) and there's nothing too flash about it. As far as the wider area is concerned, there're a few things to see: Blaenavon is a world heritage site now, but I'm none too sure what there is to show for it: Big Pit (chance to go down a crappy shut-down mine), the heritage centre (very helpful people who will dig around for family histories and some nice Welsh cakes), a couple of book shops and the old steel works. Plenty of pubs everywhere. Most of the touristy stuff is a bit further afield than the valleys...but as Chris says, Bob's yer man for that. Mostly just nice hills, rough pubs with football on Sky, tarts, tattoos, bus stops and chip shops
      best,

claire

Comment

Hello you all!

So, I haven't been living in Wales ever (I would say sorry in Welsh here, if I could! ), but;

What's the best book about Wales?!

All the best
        Jukka
        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Check out my website. It gives you a taste of Carmarthenshire.

I do other tours besides Crime.

Comment

ah, you see, Carmarthenshire is very civilised compared to the Gwent valley, where Newbridge is!
            best,

claire

Comment

Originally posted by claire View Post
              I lived just down the road from Newbridge, next village down, for a lot of years. Parents are still there. I wouldn't call it medieval; but I would call it pretty bloody basic and not too many airs and graces along the valleys. Newbridge is part of old mining (coal) territory, so a lot of the housing reflects that (lots of little old terraced miners' cottages) and there's nothing too flash about it. As far as the wider area is concerned, there're a few things to see: Blaenavon is a world heritage site now, but I'm none too sure what there is to show for it: Big Pit (chance to go down a crappy shut-down mine), the heritage centre (very helpful people who will dig around for family histories and some nice Welsh cakes), a couple of book shops and the old steel works. Plenty of pubs everywhere. Most of the touristy stuff is a bit further afield than the valleys...but as Chris says, Bob's yer man for that. Mostly just nice hills, rough pubs with football on Sky, tarts, tattoos, bus stops and chip shops
              Thanks for your reply Claire. I couldn't think of another word medieval just kind of popped into my head. But this was a big help, thanks a lot.
              Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
                Check out my website. It gives you a taste of Carmarthenshire.

I do other tours besides Crime.
                I'll check out the website. Thanks Bob
                Jordan

Comment

no worries, Chainz, I wasn't caught up on the word Glad it was of help; let me know if you need anything else about Newbridge and its environs!
                  best,

claire

Comment

Visit To Wales

Dear Chainz,

Regardless which part of Wales you will be visiting if there's is anything I can do to help, like arranging accomodation etc, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what Wales has to offer.

Bob
                    son of Neddie Seagoon and daughter of Darkness.

Comment

Born in Blackwood me- and removed at a safe age!!!! Parents in law still living in Rhos- Pontardawe- got a DUTY visit 26/6 aaaaagh!!!
                      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hey everyone,
                        I appreciate everyones posts helping me out on this topic. I really want to go to Europe on my honeymoon but, unfortunately, I haven't met the right person yet. Its kind of depressing everyone I know my age is getting married or has gotten married ahhhhhhhh well we'll see what happens. Maybe you guys can send me some luck from across the pond.
                        Thanks again,
                        Jordan

Comment

If you come to Wales, you could probably meet the right person, get married and have said honeymoon all in one go Folk here are a pretty friendly bunch, in the main.
                          Blackwood, Suzi...very nice too
                          best,

claire

Comment

Hehe yeah maybe so the town I live in welll just idk.....its kind of in a sucky part of NC.
                            But anyways thanks for the message,
                            Jordan

Comment

Working...
                            X