decoding the postal directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decoding the postal directory

So here is a ge capture and the postal directory entry. Can someone explain to me where 1 Minories is? Dave
    Attached Files
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

more guesses

Here are some more guesses based on the directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave
    Attached Files

Comment

A Goad plan would show precisely which property it was, but it must have been somewhere close to the eastern side of the junction with Aldgate High Street.

In the 1892 electoral register, Joseph Levy was resident at 1 Minories, while occupying 79, 80 & 81 Aldgate High street. See also Scott Nelson's dissertation:

Comment

Hi Dave,

The numbering does not seem to be right, so I can only suggest the east side of Minories between Aldgate High Street and Church Street. Probably on the corner of Church Street.

Rgds
        John

Comment

thanks

Thank You fellas. It sure helps to know that I am not just a moron. Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

I assume 1 Minories then was the same it is today. Google 1 Minories London and go in the google map and use street view. That is, take the little brown man and lift him to the map where the marker is for 1 Minories. You will be standing on the corner of Minories and Aldgate, right across from St Botolph church. Pan around and there is 1 Minoires, now Kelly's delicatessan. In an old building. There is a large numeral 1 by the door.

I understand your confusion, though. I'm confused too by the 1888 directory listing above. The fact that there is 1 Minories in the directory, then nothing till the Three Lords after Church St.

Here is the 1882 directory. Notice how many more business listings there are 1-27. I don't know why these two directories are so different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	minories1882.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	659564

Anyhoo, hope this is of some help, and thanks again for the directory listings you have made available.

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
              I understand your confusion, though. I'm confused too by the 1888 directory listing above. The fact that there is 1 Minories in the directory, then nothing till the Three Lords after Church St.

Here is the 1882 directory. Notice how many more business listings there are 1-27. I don't know why these two directories are so different.
              I assume there was some redevelopment going on in 1888. In the 1895 directory (at http://www.historicaldirectories.org/) Colonial Avenue is listed between numbers 12 and 25:

Comment

it is not just 1 minories

I appreciate the tips on one minories, but what I am after is a way to accurately assign addys based on the postal directory description. I want to be able to do this for this whole area. Dave
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dave,

I am assuming that your term addys means addresses. Well, as far as I know, the only way to do what you want to do would be to procure the Goad fire insurance maps, which have all the address numbers. There are Goad maps for cities all over the world, in a range of dates.

Abesnt that, you could begin a sort of gigsaw puzzle approach. The directory you are using, as best I know, is a business directory. In other words, it does not list an address that does not have a business there. But it does show Public Houses in italics, and since the label PH is on the Ordinance map, well there's one down. There are so many PH's they can be useful placeholders. Plus certain things like schools and churches can be located in both the directory and the map and used as placehoders in your numbering scheme.

Okay, then there is the 1891 census which is free. And you will need to have the enumeration sheeets as a guide. I think Chris Scott posted them. Maybe using the census side by side with the directory would help to figure out the addys. I've not ventured into that. You would be on your own there pardner.

Plus there may be some Goad maps in the Photo Archives section of Casebook. Also, Rob Clack has been kind enough to post a few segments of his Goad maps in certain threads of Casebook to look closer at a certain parts of the district. You can hunt around and find them. Also, there is the knockout map John Bennett did under the lodging house thread, which has numbers.

So there are ways you could, step by step, put addresses to the maps. Slowly, methodically. I would be glad to help you my friend, but I've got to go back to work Monday, and unlike SCHOOL TEACHERS (whom some of my friends are, the bastards), I don't get the WHOLE SUMMER OFF.

Or buy the Goad maps.

Maybe someone else knows another way.

Roy
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

Here's Hanbury St, one side anyway. This is on Casebook, if you search Hanbury Street Census. There are lots of nuggets like this squirreled away on CB. For instance, that Scott Nelson dissertation. And I think Rob posted another map with numbers when Butchers Row was discussed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hanbury2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	659566

Good luck with that, Dave.

Roy
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Thank You Roy

I was hoping for a more straight forward method, but I will suck it up and go piece meal. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                        Here's Hanbury St, one side anyway. This is on Casebook, if you search Hanbury Street Census. There are lots of nuggets like this squirreled away on CB. For instance, that Scott Nelson dissertation. And I think Rob posted another map with numbers when Butchers Row was discussed.

[ATTACH]9360[/ATTACH]

Good luck with that, Dave.

Roy
                        Thanks for the map, it is in! Dave

Comment

Chris, thanks for the information about the changes on Minories and Colonial. And the photo. Isn't it sad that some historical photos are because of the bomb damage. Again, thanks.
                          ----
                          Dave, I cannot access files with a KMZ extension.

I believe you said somewhere to download Google Earth in order to access KMZ files . Is that all that needs to be done? Is there anything else? Is that the only way? Is there another way? Is there more than one way? Do I have a choice?

When I went to download Google Earth my computer told me that downloading is blocked due to a security risk. I don't want to do anything to mess up my computer security.

Please explain in the most excruciating detail what I need to do to safely access the KMZ files you have presented. I have not seen any of them yet. I am on a PC.

Roy
                          Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 06-07-2010, 05:40 AM.
                          Sink the Bismark

Comment

kmz's

yes Roy IF GE IS ON YOUR MACHINE IT IS AS SIMPLE AS DOWNLOADING AND CLICKING ON THE KMZ FILE.(stoopid caps lock). The features of ge make it worth while to download and use. I am currently just using the overlays without regard to the underlying terrain. I am not kidding when I say the features make it worth the while. Feel free to ask any ge questions I will try and answer them. GE also has many online tutorials and a vast community of geophiles. Dave

Comment

I am sorry Roy

It appears there is no other way. If your machine is like mine, it allows you to keep track of changes made when you install new software, so if need be the previous state can be restored. I do not know what to say, except I believe the program to be worth the pain in the ass to install. Good luck to you sir! Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X