Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name your top 3 suspects with top 3 reasons why you think so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name your top 3 suspects with top 3 reasons why you think so...

Sure it's been done but what the hell! Nothing else much going on on these boards so let's argue a bit...

Mine (in order from most to leeast)

1) James Kelly

A: Proven Himself a Killer by stabbing his wifes throat

B: Was believed to be in London at time of Murders

C: Was known to have contracted V.D. (quite possibly Syphilis) which could account for both his violent mood swings and could hint at a M.O. of punishing prostitutes whom he had frequented

2) Bury

A: Brutally Murdered wife

B: Grafitti in his apartment (which could only be reasoned he wrote, as his wife is believed to have been illiterate) made references to Jack the Ripper

C: Was known to have residence in Whitechapel at the time of the murders

3) Levy or Cohen

Seem like the kind of non-descript people with supposed violent tendancies. Idk seems plausible

I still can't shake odd feelings about Tumblety, especially after seen the special where his hand writing was compared to the From Hell letter..

1. Montague John Druitt

a) Druitt was an embarrassing too-late-suspect, being dead for over two years, and yet he was the first and only choice of the Deputy Head of CID and later Assistant Commissioner: Sir Melville Macnaghten. He was a top police administrator whose reputation was in no way hostage to the Whitechapel mystery, and thus with nothing to prove about 'Jack'. Yet he 'canonised' the five victims, with Kelly not Coles as the last one, and propagated [a disguised] Druitt's guilt via literary cronies.

b) We would not expect Macnaghten, an Anglican Gentile and a Gentleman, possessed of a jaunty temperament which sees the best in his fellow bourgeiosie, to accuse a fellow Anglican Gentile gentleman -- and yet he did. Thus he is a very strong source because he goes against the expected bias, which would be to dismiss Druitt as a suspect -- to get him off.

c) The conventional wisdom, that Macanghten did not know what he was talking about in regards to Druitt [eg. the Drowned Not-a-Doctor], is strongly countered by the identification of the 'West of England MP' in 2008. For the first time the sympathetic obituaries on Druitt, devoid of connection to the Ripper mystery, could be linked to Macnaghten's 1894 Report, and 1898 rewrite, via a loose-lipped Tory MP whom [fellow Tory] Macnaghten would priotect from a Liberal Govt. with the discreet appellation: 'private information'. The MP, Henry Farquharson, a Druitt near-neighbour [and the family worked in tory politics] would have to have provided accurate bio. information about Montie Druitt which Macnaghten was very careful about disseminating -- and disguising.

2. Dr Francis Tumblety

a) Retired Chief Inspector J. G. Littlechild still thought the American Quack was a likely suspect in 1913, strongly suggesting that this was the original chief suspect -- and that he had never been cleared. Littlechild was a top cop whose reputation was also not hostage to the Whitechapel Mystery. Thus he also had nothing whatsoever to prove, and yet he initiated the reply to George Sims, to make it clear to the latter -- as politely as possible to his social superior -- that the famous criminologist's 'Dr D' was a deflection fantasy.

b) Tumblety admitted to an American reporter in 1889, in an extraordinary primary source [and an extraordinarily funny one] that he was, indeed, in Whitechapel at the time of the murders, and that he had been arrested as a murder suspect -- though he claimed that the motive was crude extortion. Despite a busy social life he never claimed the obvious; any kind of an alibi for a single murder.

c) Sir Melville Macnaghten was determined that the Edwardian public, via Major Griffiths and Sims, knew that Scotland Yard had identified the Ripper as a deviant doctor, one who had 'permanantly' slipped through their fingers at the last moment in 1888. This mythical profile seems to fit Tumblety as much as Druitt, which is the very point about which Littlechild is trying to alert Sims. Macnaghten was ruthlessly exploiting a minor suspect, Druitt, to conceal a much more important contemporaneous suspect, Tumblety.

3. Aaron Kosminski

a) The head of CID at the time of the murders, Sir Robert Anderson, claimed that the Ripper's identity was known; a local, poor, Polish Jew, but that his being 'safely caged' in an asylum forever protected him from answering for his crimes. After all, the English were not the French, what with the latter's Napoleonic, police-state powers. Anderson was there, Macnaghten was not, and Littlechild was in Special Branch. Anderson came under tremendous political and public pressure and yet he, a devout Anglican with theological respect for Judiasm, never buckled and rushed to judgement, to throw some innocent wretch [Pizer, Sadler, Grainger] to the wolves.

b) Anderson was backed in his opinion by the operational head of the Whietchapel murders, Donald Swanson, who scribbled some notes in his copy of his former chief's memoirs. In a notation which never had to satisfy anybody but himself, Swanson backed up 100% Anderson's claim that there was a positive identification which collapsed, and that the suspect's name was 'Kosminski'.

c) Historian Martin Fido in 1987 found the records of an inmate, Aaron Kosminski, who in some key details matches 'Kosminski' in the Macnaghten Report and the Swanson Marginalia. Moreover the timing of Kosminski's incarceration dovetails with a clueless police chasing Tom Sadler, in early 1891, for being the Ripper. By implication, once the police let Salder go, and Swanson and Anderson examined information about Aaron Kosminski, they were certain that this local madman was almost certainly the fiend. The lack of a surviving file, and even the lack of anybody remembering his first name, makes sense because he was already beyond the law's reach being already permanently incarcerated [Macnaghten was an anti-anti-Semite, and could not face the fiend being anything other than 'one of us' which was far less politically explosive].

Comment

1.As yet,unknown/unnamed local man

Sorry for being a tad negative but for me alot of 'the suspects' have major doubts surrounding them,but have also big pluses for them being a suspect.
      As you see i just dont know.lol

Dixon9
      still learning

Comment

alternative

Hello Jonathan. Always a pleasure to read your posts! I can hear your neurons synapsing whilst I read.

Regarding 3b, I have heard an alternative interpretation suggested. It is along the lines of, "Swanson was not necessarily agreeing with Anderson in his marginalia--he was merely taking notes from his old chief's mouth, to see if he understood him."

What do you make of this argument? It strikes me as a bit tenuous.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

To Lynn

Oh, yes, of course.

There are counter-arguments to every suspect and every a, b, and c.

It is just that the poster was asking for reasons for, not reasons against.

I think and have argued that that Donald Swanson was recording what Anderson told him, word for word.

It sounds like Anderson in full pedantic old coot mode.

That melodramatic nonsense about the suspect knowing he had been identified. The bitchy whinging about rival police having 'difficulty', and so on.

I think that Swanson had no opinion about the Ripper's identity [though he may have thought, in 1895, that it was Druitt] but what he did think, was that his old boss was quite crackers about ... 'Kosminski'.

Swanson recorded this 'Anderson in Wonderland' nonsense because he knew he would never remember his old chief's sad mishmash of Pizer, Druitt, Sadler, the Seamans' Home, Kosminski, Lawende, Grainger et al.

It is also why Swanson never pulled anybody aside in his family to show them the name of the fiend, or drew their attention to the marginalia at all. It is also why Swanson never wrote a letter to 'The Times', in 1910, agreeing with Anderson about a Polish Jew suspect and some definitive identification.

Because it wasn't.

The Swanson Marginalia is, in my opinion, a minor, amused footnote about the self-serving, memory lapse of an ex-boss he revered.

Comment

thanks

Hello Jonathan. Sorry to be a dullard--I didn't realise that the argument I had heard was YOURS. And I was not sure what to do with it.

I think you are quite right that ANY investigation of the WCM must begin with the major police suspects. How long one remains there depends on various extraneous factors.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by FutureM.D. View Post
              1) James Kelly A: Proven Himself a Killer by stabbing his wifes throat B: Was believed to be in London at time of Murders C: Was known to have contracted V.D. (quite possibly Syphilis) which could account for both his violent mood swings and could hint at a M.O. of punishing prostitutes whom he had frequented..
              Hey Doc! I agree with above right to the letter.

2) Bury A: Brutally Murdered wife
              Yes. But he murdered her for a reason. He knew she knew he was the Ripper. That is why he went through such an elaborate plan to go to Dundee. The fake employment letter, the box, etc.

B: Grafitti in his apartment (which could only be reasoned he wrote, as his wife is believed to have been illiterate) made references to Jack the Ripper
              In addition, it appears he wanted to say something about it to the police. And London police went to investigate. He was a contemporary suspect.
              C: Was known to have residence in Whitechapel at the time of the murders
              Well it was Bow, which is close enough. He stayed out late. Some nights he didn't come home at all. Very suspicious. He was a woman-hating, wife abusing alcoholic.

For number (3) I go with Joe Lis (Silver). Charles Van Onselen gave about a dozen reasons in his book, but to pare it to two - Lis caught syphilis, which made him angry and he was criminally psychopathic. And I think it entirely possible the police were on to a Jewish suspect (Kosminski?) who was a young man who lived in the neighborhood. Problem is, the killer, budding criminal Joe Lis, took a boat in 1889.

Roy
              Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM.
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

1) Charles Le Grand. A known abuser of prostitutes with homicidal tendencies, skilled in the use of a knife, walking the streets of Whitechapel in silent shoes, was in the neighborhood of Berner Street at the time of Stride's murder, produced false witness testimony to throw the police off track, was thought to be the Ripper by inspectors and people who knew him. About 100 other reasons.

2) Aaron Kosminski. Unlike Druitt and Tumblety, very little information has been found to suggest there's any reason to disclude him as a suspect.

I can't choose a third because as yet I haven't seen a third individual with a strong enough argument against him for me to think there's a chance he was the Ripper. At one time I felt Druitt was a strong contender, and Tumblety a decent one, but recent discoveries, as well as their probable homosexuality, virtually rule them out as contenders for the Ripper throne.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

1] Mr Unknown

2] Mr Unknown

3] Mr Unknown.

We will never know how many suspects the police hauled in for questioning, but had they even the slightest reason to suspect 'someone', then that 'someone' would've been up in front of the beak before he could draw breath. Personally, I don't think the police ever had the faintest idea of who the Whitechapel Murderer(s) was (were).

Tom, don't wish to be any more pedantic than I usually am, but the opposite of 'include' is 'exclude'; 'disclude' is not a word that I can locate in my well-thumbed OED.

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham. I'm not sure when 'disclude' entered my vocubulary, but I've already been called on it by Prof. Hainsworth on another thread. It just seems to slip out. Thankfully, it doesn't make it into my published writings. LOL. And what does 'in front of the beak' mean?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      Hi Graham. I'm not sure when 'disclude' entered my vocubulary, but I've already been called on it by Prof. Hainsworth on another thread. It just seems to slip out. Thankfully, it doesn't make it into my published writings. LOL. And what does 'in front of the beak' mean?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                      In front of the beak = up in front of the magistrate. I.e., nicked.

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

And what does 'in front of the beak' mean?

Here you go, Tom

During the Bubonic Plague, judges visiting prisons used to wear primitive gasmasks, stuffed with herbs or spices thought to ward off the plague - since it looked like a beak... they were referred to as "going before the beak" as they were never seen without it.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Thanks, guys. I guess that's another term that never made it over the ocean. But, of course, there are certain suspects who could not have been prosecuted due to their connections, regardless of what evidence was held against them.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

But, of course, there are certain suspects who could not have been prosecuted due to their connections, regardless of what evidence was held against them.

Like who?
                            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

In my opinion, senior police did have very strong, admittedly competing, theories about certain suspects, but the key to the mystery is grasping why they could not move on these people.

Understanding this factor also explains why other important police [Smith, Reid, Abberline] had barely or never heard of them -- because information about some of these potential 'Jacks' did not arrive through regular police channels.

Montie Druitt could not be prosecuted because he had been dead for over two years.

Aaron Kosminski could not be prosecuted because he had been permanently incarcerated in an asylum some time before coming to senior police attention as a Ripper suspect.

Francis Tumblety had fled the jurisdiction and could not be further investigated, or extradited, for the Whitechapel crimes.

Just consider what it would mean to be a senior Scotland Yard cop, and you have somebody in your sights you honestly believe is the Ripper -- but no arrest can be made, or ever made.

What do you do about it?

Tell everyone?

What about the draconian libel laws?

So, do nothing?

Wait until your memoirs?

Blame other factors for the lack of an arrest? Like an unreliable witness?

In 1910 Anderson initially stumbled into admitting that the un-named Kosminski was already beyond the law, then pulled back. By contrast Macnaghten in his 1914 memoirs went the whole way; admitting that the un-named Druitt was not a Ripper suspect until 'some years after' he had taken his own life.

Comment

Working...
                              X