The Jewish Standard Friday 14 November 1910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jewish Standard Friday 14 November 1910

I saw this in 'The Jewish Standard', Friday 12 November 1890. I don't know if it's been seen before. I've underlined the important name and I'll post the whole article in case it's important.

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Jewish Standard 14 November 1890cb 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	670018

Name:	The Jewish Standard 14 November 1890cb 02.jpg
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	670019

Name:	The Jewish Standard 14 November 1890cb 03.jpg
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	670020

Rob

Hello Rob,

Excellent find! I have never seen this before either...anything about Kosminsky, especially from this date, should this be the same one as Aron, is brilliant. Again. Congrats!

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Thanks Phil, I believe Aaron used the name Aaron Abrahams as well and there is a A Abrahams near the bottom. Bu yeah, I think that is our Aaron Kosminski.

Rob

Comment

Hello Rob,

I noticed that...M. Hyams and Co, B.Hyams, Samual Hyam are listed too... and interesting to note that many paid in Guineas, 21s, or half of, or suchlike!

best wishes

Phil

edit* If this is our Kosminski... then he had money in 1890.. £1.1s to give away..interesting. No other family member is listed either.
        Last edited by Phil Carter; 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM. Reason: addition
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil,

I'd like to know who the J Levy was.

Rob

Comment

Hello Rob,

If it is Joseph Hyam Levy, it wouldn't surprise me. He sponsored Martin Kosminski's naturalisation didn't he? Which led to speculation re the sighting of the man at Mitre Square visa vis Kosminski (Aron)

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Rob

Thanks for posting that interesting item. The same list appeared in the Jewish Chronicle of 14 November 1890.

Name:	OldCastleStreetSynagogue14November1890.jpg
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	659448

Comment

Hi Phil,

I'm very dubious about the Martin Kosminski connection, but if that is Joseph Levy than it might show a connection between him and Aaron Kosminski, but until we know for sure it's just speculation.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Chris, shame they don't supply more details about the donors.

Rob

Comment

Thats a really intersting find Rob. I have been learning more about the etiquette of Synagogue attendence from a friend and did realise they are really quite different to churches.
                    I notice a J Barnet as well! No connection I know but still make me smile.
                    In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

I don't know that much about them Kate. Here is a photo of the entrance in Old Castle Street. The Synagogue itself was a building at the rear.

Name:	Old Castle Street c1915 02.jpg
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	659449

Rob

Comment

The "C. Lazarus" could be Charles Lazarus, Jospeh Hyam Levy's loan business partner after 1890.

Comment

another name

Hello Rob. Great find. Did you notice another titillating name only 4 lines below his? Of course, the famous version died in 1889.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Another great find Rob.Seeing Aaron Kosminski"s name here----I too think its probably him-----and somehow it at last begins to give him a new identity ,one thats a bit different from the "loathsome creature" of TLYOMOL!

Comment

I believe there was also an Abram Kosminski whose death was registered in March 1893 in St George in the East. I have almost zero information on this person. Chris P might know more on this...

I am a bit hesitant to believe that Aaron would have donated a pound to the Synagogue fund, but who knows. Still, I dont think we can jump to the conclusion that this was Aaron quite yet.

RH

Comment

Working...
                              X