Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are they missing

Hi,
    Naturally one can expect members over the years, for one reason or another, to fade away, yet I cant help but notice that over the last year or so many affluent members have done a bunk so to speak.
    To name a few Glenn, Jane, Babybird, Ben, Sam, and notably Phil, have for one reason, or another, decided. to fade away from this wonderful site.
    I suspect that each of them have their own reasons, but it is still a loss, speaking from someone that still continues to ramble on.
    Regards Richard.

....maybe they are sick of increase in adolescent - wait, no, make that childish behavior (think Dudley from Harry Potter) and fussing by a small but loud group of people on here, but are much too elegant to say anything about it...

Those who have left all share in common a wealth of knowledge and intelligence coupled with being both humble and elegant and having a wonderful sense of humor simultaneously...very rare qualities to all be found in one person, and we should all be very sorry that they are no longer contributing the way they used to...

(I mean it is rather tiresome to be told that whatever one says "isn't worthy" because one hasn't "published an article" or doesn't believe this that and the other, or whatever...I left high school years ago, only to find that there are a few completely self-centered high school students ranging in age from their 30's to middle-aged here...While the narcissists are, thank God, a very small group and are not the majority of posters here by a longshot, they do tend to grate on everyone's nerves, and so people leave or take long breaks when they get sick of this utterly non-productive behavior...)

Frankly, there are less than 5 true "Ripper scholars/historians/academics" on here, and the rest of us are merely hobbyists of varying degrees or another...

That's just my 2 cents anyway; I am NOT speaking for any of them....this is just my opinion...

This is a wonderful site; I really, really like it, and I read here all the time. I have learned so much by reading and participating here, and there are, for the most part, such fantastic and diverse people on here; I think that the wonderful people you have mentioned will come back again once they have taken a much needed respite from the tantruming din of the few...
    Last edited by cappuccina; 05-06-2010, 04:43 PM.
    Cheers,
    cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Maybe the Ripper got them, 'cause they knew too much!

Comment

It's also the nature of being part of a forum like this. You can be a regular contributing member and be having discussions/debates here and there, but everyone has things to do in their own lives and if you go away for even so much as a few days or a week, and then come back, the discussions have just completely left you behind and people have moved on to something new.

I've had this myself, where I've gone away (by choice or necessity) for varying periods of time and it's definitely difficult to keep up with it while also having to work as well as maintain some sort of family/social life.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Contemplating WAY Too Much

....maybe they are sick of increase in adolescent - wait, no, make that childish behavior (think Dudley from Harry Potter) and fussing by a small but loud group of people on here, but are much too elegant to say anything about it...
          I can only hope that my inexperience didn't add to a problem and pushed them away...

Even when it seems unsensible, I sometimes become a bit paranoid and start panicking that I've might've said too much and crossed a line. But I'll ask another user if this is the case and usually they say, "No. Why do you ask?" I'm just a worrywart, I guess.

I've noticed that this is one of the many reasons why we don't too many new contributers on a regular basis. I know a few friends of mine are quite interested in this site and in the forums. But, I'm told, they won't join because they feel they're not well-versed enough about the Ripper case to contribute and don't want to embarass themselves.

As for me, I believe that the best way to learn more is to get on here and ask the questions which bugs me. Posting a numerous amount of threads, for instance. I may make mistakes and end up looking stupid, but that's part of the learning process. It's when I percieve that my curiousity is getting irritating to other people, that's when I become incrediably concerned.

Is this the childish behavior you were referring to, cappuccina?
          If it is, then I am completely sorry. I'll try my best to get better.

Regarding Phil, however, I'm more inclined to think that he's merely busy with his life. And maybe youtube. He's posting new videos more often than he used to, when he was more active on these forums. Would I be correct in guessing that he'll probably return?
          "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

No, not at all, Madam Red. If I had ever felt offended by you, I would have messaged you. I think you are great, and have never had any problem with you.

I am speaking about a very few people who have their own serious personal issues that "spill out" onto these boards and impact the way they treat people, both in RL and here. I'm NOT talking about having a bad day, or asking a lot of questions, or the things we all do at one time or another.

I think your questions are great BTW!

Adam, I also agree with you about RL; that has certainly been the case for me with having teenagers and all...
            Cheers,
            cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

I don't think anyone on here gets mad when people ask questions about the Ripper case. That's what the site was built for, research. So I would tell your friends not to worry and join, because almost everyone on here are extremely nice and worth talking to.

When I first came on board I didn't know anything about Jack the Ripper. Only that he was a serial killer in London that was never caught and killed a lot of women.

Because of the site and all the nice people on these boards, I still don't know everything about the first four canonical victims as they don't really interest me too much. But I know a lot about Kelly (or what little we know about her anyway). About Barnett and almost everyone that was a part of her life. All because of this board and this site. Not once did anyone jump on me about asking "too" many questions.

So again, I wouldn't worry and I would tell your friends not to worry either, Rasah.
              Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

Comment

Er... I am sure I will find something humerous or ironic to say sometime, but if I dissapear, one you has to promise to whistle the twilight zone theme please.
                There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

There are a lot of people I miss too. It's sad when for whatever reason they fade away.

I miss the Ripper Trivia as well

Hi How

Comment

Thank. <3
                    "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Working...
                    X