Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Kelly and the merchantman captain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Kelly and the merchantman captain...

On my list of articles to type up is one from the New York Sun of 25 November 1888. This article is entitled "Astounding Murders."
    The section below deals with the Kelly murder and whilst most of the details follow the orthodox account of Kelly's life, the following snippet jumped out at me:-

"She went to France with the captain of a merchantman and came back with silks and feathers and good looks to set herself up as a courtesan in the West End..."

This is the first article I have seen that claimed to give any details of the man with whom Kelly went to France.
    Attached Files

Here is the rest of the section in this long article dealing with the Kelly murder. The other murders are dealt with in this article and I will post the whole thing when done
    Chris
    Attached Files

Comment

WHOA.
      Well done, that snippet's quite fascinating.
      "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

This information actually first appeared in an interview with Joe Barnett in an American newspaper (not from New York) and reprinted in a Canadian paper that has, as far as I know, never been posted before. It is known, therefore, but not widely known.

Wolf.

Comment

Very interesting. Wolf, if the info had never been posted or published before, how are you aware of it?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom.

Because I have a copy of the Canadian version of Barnett's interview (which I was going to use in an article about new information about Kelly some years back).

Wolf.

Comment

Hi Wolf, thanks for that. Why didn't you publish the article? Sounds like awesome reading. What else you holding on to?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hello you all!

An interesting piece of information about gent-with-whom-to-Paris!

Thanks, Chris and Wolf!

All the best
                Jukka
                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi Wolf, thanks for that. Why didn't you publish the article? Sounds like awesome reading. What else you holding on to?
                  Hi Tom.

I was waiting for Dan to get Ripper Notes back on its feet but that now seems like a lost cause. Failing that I had nowhere else to publish.

I’ve been at this for a long time now so my newspaper collection is fairly large (for example, my Carrie Brown file runs to over 1000 pages). I have lots of interesting stuff in those files but it’s stuff that slowly finds its way onto the Casebook anyway. I just prefer to write things up in an article with context and an explanation of its interest, or importance, than just dump things on the boards.

Wolf.

Comment

Working...
                  X