Travails of book collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travails of book collecting

I tell ya, collecting books on this subject could drive ya nuts. For ages I have been looking for a copy of Michael Gardner's An Old Drama which is listed on p. 85 of the last edition of Strachan's bibliography. Well, I finally got one and a lovely thing it is, too---hand-printed in Leicester in 1969, a little work of art. My copy is numbered and signed by the printer, Duine Campbell; but, since I acquired it, I've learned that the first 20 copies were signed by the author and illustrator as well and presented to friends of the printer. So now, of course, I have to start looking for one of those. I tell ya, it just never ends. If you can avoid being bitten by the collecting bug, you will have a much more peaceful life.

I'm beginning to wonder if collecting books is even worth the trouble anymore. There is a lot of talk lately that all books will be available electronically within the next ten or fifteen years. I've been collecting books since the 1960s, but if everyone could soon have the same info on a mobile device, what's the point?

Oh, I know the argument about the book as artifact but, after all, they're damn heavy. If I ever have to move, even I might prefer to have them all on an iPad or something.

Comment

Hello GM,

I used to have the collecting bug when working in the media within the music industry. Copies of some things I was after for many years came along, and knowing how precious they were, played them once for recording only, only to find that somewhere along the line a compilation album (or cd) popped up and there I was with an old single or album that suddenly lost it's appeal.

When I decided to retire from that game in life, I sold 32,000 vinyl records, and decided that was the only way to be rid of that particular collecting bug.
      I kept about 250 for personal listening pleasure only.

As regards Ripper related stuff, I think the 70 odd books I posess is enough, but then there is always that "new" release isn't there?
      Thankfuly I don't have the bug with these books where I HAVE to have a first edition copy of a certain book or a very very rare example of anything.

(I wouldn't say no to a complete set of any missing Ripper documents though..lol)

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

You make a good point, Phil. I schlepped a lot of vinyl jazz and classic rock around the country on my various moves until I decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. I didn't have as many as you, but they still weighed a ton. Of course, now I've got several hundred CDs that have become obsolete. I don't think I'd have any trouble jettisoning those, if push came to shove, but my books---I don't know. Fortunately, I don't have to decide tonight.

Comment

Working...
        X