Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blotchy Thread

Hi all....

Sure you've all been round this a million times but for those still interested - any ideas on the following will be appreciated.

Blotchy....

Why did he go back to her room?

I'd hazard a guess that it was for sex or he was the murderer?

Let's assume it was for sex.

Why would he listen to her singing for an hour and 15 minutes after going in with her? Doesn't make sense unless you suggest he wanted to stay the night - but if he's not the murderer then he clearly didn't want to stay the night. So - assuming he went for sex and not a singing extravaganza - and assuming that if they went for sex then she knew the crack as they agreed this upfront then why mess about for an hour and 15 minutes? Why not have sex - pay the woman and leave? If sex was on your mind would you put it off for an hour and 15 minutes? Would Kelly mess around with her being behind with the rent and all - when she could go out again?

If Blotchy stayed in that room for a length of time does it suggest he was there for more than just sex?

If Blotchy only wanted sex - then why go back to her room? What did he need a room for? And surely he would have paid over the odds because it was her room....and he didn't appear to be someone overflowing with funds - and where his life revolved around ale and prostitutes then he would need an economical 'service' so to speak.

There are alternatives though......

Blotchy didn't stay longer than 10 minutes and slipped out unnoticed. Believable?

Blotchy was an invention and the result of a conspiracy where the occupants wanted to point the finger away from someone else? Believable?

Blotchy was more than happy to listen to her singing for an hour or so which is why he took the ale with him?

Hmmm...very curious....

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
    Why would he listen to her singing for an hour and 15 minutes after going in with her?
    I've never understood why some people assume that MJK was singing continuously for the entire period. Isn't it more likely that she sang intermittently over the hour and a quarter and Mary Ann Cox just happened to catch two different bits? And it's possible that sometime between 11:45 and 1:00, when Cox returned to the court, Blotchy had concluded his business with MJK and moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
      I've never understood why some people assume that MJK was singing continuously for the entire period. Isn't it more likely that she sang intermittently over the hour and a quarter and Mary Ann Cox just happened to catch two different bits? And it's possible that sometime between 11:45 and 1:00, when Cox returned to the court, Blotchy had concluded his business with MJK and moved on.
      You're absolutely right......it is a bit of a stretch to suggest MJK went on a continuous singing binge for an hour and 15 minutes - is it even possible? No idea why I didn't consider that. Fair enough.

Yes - it is absolutely possible that he'd moved on.

And providing alternatives for the room and the ale......perhaps it wasn't such an unusual practice to use a room rather than the streets.....and it's not such a stretch to suggest he would have took some beer back for a chat etc beforehand.

So...the main issue with Blotchy is he was in the room.....but there's nothing to suggest he probably stayed beyond 1 oclock? Agreed?

Comment

Maybe she was singing while they were doing it.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          Aye...or perhaps the killer had another woman there (an assistant) who was singing to dampen the noise of the killer's movements :-) Bet no one's considered that and there'll be someone reading this thinking: "my god.....that's it!". Genius eh!

Goes to show though that were anyone to put their mind to it they could come up with all sorts of strange theories that wouldn't be less believable than some of them out there.

Comment

Singing, Foreknowledge & Beer Pails

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
            This one gets my vote.

Seriously, though, I agree that Mary probably wasn't singing non-stop.

If Blotchy was the killer, I think a case could be made for him to have sat there for an hour or more sadistically enjoying the knowledge that he had her in his power and intended to kill her.

It could even be argued that Blotchy-the-Killer used that ploy of a song-fest to allay any potential fears on the part of Mary or her neighbors.

Whether Blotchy was the killer or not, I wonder how much of his beer he shared with Mary?

If Blotchy really was the killer, then at the end of the night he was left with a handy empty beer-pail for carrying away
            his bloody murder-trophies.
            Hmmm...

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Like I said on the other thread, he may have sat there and listened to her sing, all the while knowing he was going to kill her. Since we only have witnesses for certain times, there's nothing to say she sang the entire time. This singing business is a bit odd, anyway. Why would she be singing for so long? It's kind of weird, but then maybe Blotchy, wanted her to sing this particular song and paid her for it. His personal form of kinkiness.
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I see no reason why,under the influence of drink, a person would not or could not sing over the course of an hour,for most of that hour.Iv'e known it to be done.It was stated by witness,that Kelly,after an evening drinking,would, before retiring to bed,sing for a period..Before retiring to bed should be noted,because it could have happened that night,habits are hard to shake.
                Maybe the visitor, realising a Kelly awake and in drink,and in that small room making a difficult victim to subdue quietly,left to return at a later time that night.
                While I find no reason to disbelieve Cox as to the couple entering Kelly's room,the fact that her evidence places her behind the couple for near enough the entire period,diminishes the possibility of Cox getting a good enough look at the man's face to describe it as Blotchy.

Comment

True, Harry, especially if she was in the habit of singing, or her throat was conditioned to singing. Alcohol has an effect on the throat, but there's no reason to assume she was singing non-stop.

Somewhere on here, there's a discussion of the term "blotchy" and what it would have meant to a Victorian witness. I wonder if his face, if Cox did catch a glimpse of it, could have been blotchy from the cool air.
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                    I see no reason why,under the influence of drink, a person would not or could not sing over the course of an hour,for most of that hour.Iv'e known it to be done.It was stated by witness,that Kelly,after an evening drinking,would, before retiring to bed,sing for a period..Before retiring to bed should be noted,because it could have happened that night,habits are hard to shake.
                    Maybe the visitor, realising a Kelly awake and in drink,and in that small room making a difficult victim to subdue quietly,left to return at a later time that night.
                    While I find no reason to disbelieve Cox as to the couple entering Kelly's room,the fact that her evidence places her behind the couple for near enough the entire period,diminishes the possibility of Cox getting a good enough look at the man's face to describe it as Blotchy.
                    QUOTE=harry;129816]I see no reason why,under the influence of drink, a person would not or could not sing over the course of an hour,for most of that hour.Iv'e known it to be done.

Yes, I've been known to do it !
                    She was an irish girl, and if she was brought up singing, then singing's just something you do...and an hour is not too long. If she found an appreciative audience in Blotchy, then I'm sure that she'd feel 'inspired'.
                    I'm a woman, so I really can't know what a man paying a prostitute would think about her singing -I would like to fondly imagine that he was happy to share some booze, listen to her or maybe sing along (his voice was maybe too weak to be heard, and he didn't know the words), have a chat and a laugh...as well as the sex.
                    I'm very happy to know that she must have enjoyed her last evening and looked forward to the outing the next day
                    Last edited by Rubyretro; 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM.
                    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Rubyretro,

You've altered my thinking on the singing. Of course it's very plausible that she loved singing, believed herself to have a nice voice, and would have liked doing just as you've suggested. Thanks for the reminder.

Best,

Cel

Comment

Hello Celesta!

Well, she was told to be an artist of no mean degree.

The only piece of her art we know, is singing!

All the best
                        Jukka
                        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                        X