The Jersey Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jersey Devil

I wonder if anyone on the boards can help me with some questions about the Jersey Devil as some accounts I have read contradict each other

1) When was the first sighting which was attributed to the Jersey Devil?
    2) Has there been any recent sighting attributed to the Devil- if not what was the last?
    3) How remote an area are the Pine Barrens and how large an area do they cover?
    4) I have seen alleged drawings but was there ever any photo or video images allegedly of the Jersey Devil?

Many thanks for any help
    Chris S

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
    I wonder if anyone on the boards can help me with some questions about the Jersey Devil as some accounts I have read contradict each other

I shall try but my cryptozoology skills be all rusty.
    1) When was the first sighting which was attributed to the Jersey Devil?
    I don't think the Jersey Devil has ever gone on record as having seen anything. Oh you mean OF? Sorry temporarily possessed by the Cazomatic Grammar Nazi. I don't think we have definitive date on THE first sighting of it. It's one of those "legend" status things. There have been reports of the Jersey Devil going back to the early 1800's (recorded) and probably decades of verbal accounts long before that. So it isn't really known what the actual FIRST sighting would have been. Oral history doesn't always provide definitives.

2) Has there been any recent sighting attributed to the Devil- if not what was the last?
    The last one I know about was in 2004 or 2005 where a woman and her son were supposedly scared by a two legged creature with wings up in a tree. They hid in a cabin all night til morning or something. I do not however remember the families name or anything more definitive than that. Sorry.

3) How remote an area are the Pine Barrens and how large an area do they cover?

The pine barrens is immense. Well over a million acres are preserved land (meaning no development allowed ever) but there is more acreage than that that is not under protected status. So minimum you are looking at over a million acres of land that stretches across 1/4 of the state of New Jersey.

Go to Maps.google.com and type in pine barrens, Nj. All the darker green?
    That's the pine barrens. As for remote, it depends where you are in the pine barrens. Because it is so large, parts of it run right up onto major cities whereas other parts of it are in the middle of nowhere.

4) I have seen alleged drawings but was there ever any photo or video images allegedly of the Jersey Devil?
    Not that I know of. There was some rumor a while back of a documentary film company that had captured footage and it was waiting to have the film analyzed, but from what I understand, nothing ever came out of it ...hoax I am guessing.
    Last edited by Ally; 04-03-2010, 03:45 PM. Reason: link didn't work

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi Ally
      Many thanks indeed for all this info - you have given me loads of leads that I can follow up on
      Much appreciated
      regards
      Chris

Comment

Hello you all!

I have always been wondering, if this flok-story has transferred from the local indians to the white people of the region?!

All the best
        Jukka
        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Paranormal State, a T.V. show on A&E, did a pretty good episode on the Jersey Devil a couple of months ago.

Comment

Working...
          X