X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doris Day and Jack the Ripper

Hello all,

Yes, you read the title correctly.

Whilst having the TCM channel on in the background late last night, the film "Please Don't Eat The Daisies" starring David Niven and Doris Day, from 1960, was entertaining an empty living room.
    Taking a little break, I heard the immortal line, from David Niven (Larry) said to Doris Day (Kate)..
    "They are treating me like Jack the Ripper"

This started me wondering...what earlier and other references to Jack the Ripper, in films, that are totally unconnected with the 1888 scenario, do such references occur? There must be a few?

Incidently, also appearing in the film is the esteemed actress Patsy Kelly, born Bridget Sarah Veronica Rose Kelly in Brooklyn, New York to Irish immigrants.
    The film was written by Isobel Lennart and Jean Kerr.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hi Phil,
    Countless number of quotes of ''Jack'' have been across the screens of movies, and television throughout my lifetime, and proberly will continue to do so, for the name 'Ripper' symbolizes gruesome death, and the name... one of horror.
    Richard.

Comment

Hello Richard,

Thank you for the reply.
      I realise the number since 1960 would have exploded 100 fold, but I was wondering when, outside Ripper connected and murder connected films (Please don't pick the daisies was a syrup laden light comedy) did these quotes in ordinary run-of-the-mill films start?
      This one-liner by Niven I referred to was merely in the context that the portrayal of a musical reviewer was being taunted as to his quality as a reviewer of musicals. No horror, death, etc..unless one sees his write-ups as a slaughtering?...

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Star Trek & Jack the Ripper

Hi, Phil.
        There was an old Star Trek episode called 'Wolf In the Fold' in which Scotty is implicated in a Ripper-style murder.

I can't remember all of it, but the name 'Redjac' is used by some evil entity and turns out to mean 'Red Jack' for 'Jack the Ripper'.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Hello Archaic,

Yes, 1969 I believe? I was thinking pre 1960, non-Ripper related subject matter..but thanks...

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I think it was earlier, like '67 or '68.

Didn't know you wanted only pre-1960 mentions.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Hello Archaic,

hahaha...must be the chocolate ice cream affecting you... or the cat on your lap!
              ..from 1st posting..
              This started me wondering...what earlier and other references to Jack the Ripper, in films
              best wishes..
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                This started me wondering...what earlier and other references to Jack the Ripper
                I think chocolate is supposed to be good for the brain.

Cheers, Archaic

Comment

Hello Archaic,

pass me the choccie ...

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Spoken like a gent. Unfortunately there is no emoticon for Chocolate.

Cheers, Archaic

PS: Don't feel bad Phil, I annoyed my friends by getting the Final Jeopardy question right the night I got out of the hospital.
                    All the contestants got it wrong, lol. It was a good one, a Music Industry question... Wanna try?

Comment

Hello Archaic,

ok..pm me..

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

All in the Family

I admit this is after 1960, but I can't resist adding this example just the same. In an episode of All in the Family Archie Bunker warns Victoria to watch out for 'Jack the Raper'.

Comment

My favorite is a Benny Hill one...he's doing one of his song with the bald guy and a hot beautiful female is dancing around them. Benny stops playing his bongos and goes:

"There was a knock at the door, I asked 'Who is it?'"
                          "Jack the Ripper."
                          "Honey, it's for you."

"There was another knock at the door, I asked 'Who is it'"?
                          "Jack the Ripper"
                          "I gave already."

Then he goes, "Jack the Ripper, isn't dead. He's at home doing my laundry."

Comment

This one is very recent but it made me laugh- On "Two and a Half Men" a few years ago in an exchange between the brothers, Alan was making excuses about some bad behavior by saying he'd only done it a few times, and Charlie countered with, "And Jack the Ripper only murdered a few prostitutes, but it was still wrong!"

Comment

Working...
                            X