Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacob The Ripper?

Hi

For a long time now I have been intrigued by the person of Jacob Levy and his role in the Ripper saga. Along with TJI, we have looked long and hard at his genealogy and I would like to state the case for Jacob's elevation in the ranks of suspects.

To begin, let's start with his namesake Joseph Levy. We have pondered long about the coincidence that wold throw 2 people being involved in the same case with the same name, only now do we know there was positively hundred's of Levy's living in Whitechapel. Still we pressed on hoping to discover some link between the 2 levys.

We have found quite a few links that although I believe have been noticed seperately - seem to be overlooked somewhat as a whole. Maybe what we can achieve in this thread is to get Joseph Jacob Levy classed as a more prominent suspect.

For me and Tj he ticks nearly all the boxes needed to be Jack The ripper.

I will post info on this throughout the day please be patient, Tj is the typist, not me.

Jimi

If we start off with a Sarah Levy Born 1777 In Amerstdam, Holland.
    She married a Isaac Isaac ben Hayim Levy (believe this means Isaac son of hayim Levy) in 1812 (approx). He was born in about 1770 and died about 1834 we believe.

They have between 5 and 7 children

Hyam Levy born 1811 became a butcher and married Francis Napthali.

We then have an Esther Levy born 1812 who marries a Samuel Lyons and has 2 children. She then remarries a Joshua Simmons.

We then have Elias (Chas in the census reports!) levy born born 1816 who becomes a Pencil maker.

Next we have Moss born in 1818 who became a butcher.

We then have Joseph Levy Born in 1822. He married Catherine Solomons. He was a butcher.

*Finally we have Elizabeth Levy born 1826.

Now if you look at Hyam Levy he has a child called Joseph Levy - the witness.
    His brother Joseph Levy has a son called Joseph Jacob Levy - Jacob Levy.

That would mean that if Jacob was Jack the Ripper, Joseph would be reporting against his cousin.

* We believe there was a couple more brothers but still not 100% sure.

Jimi

Comment

Hi all

If we look at Joseph Levy (Jacob's father) and Caroline Solomons we know that Joseph was living with his mother and brother and sisters in the 1841 census at 38 Petticoat Lane St Botolph.

He marries Caroline Solomons on 3 September 1848.

They have Hannah Levy born before the marriage in 1847.
      They have Elizabeth Levy born in 1848.
      They have Isaac Levy born in 1851.
      They have Abraham levy born in 1854.
      They have Jacob Levy born in 1856 and
      they have Moses Levy born in 1859.
      Rebecca Levy born in 1867.

Joseph and Caroline are listed as living at 4 Little Middlesex Street in 1851 but then move to 111 Middlesex street in 1861 - 1871 census. In 1881 they are living at 7 Globe Road.

Caroline Solomons, for me has been the worst to research as I can't seem to find a lot about her. What we do know is -:

Caroline was born in 1819 Aldgate London.

Her Father was called Abraham Solomons, haven't found her mother yet.
      She already has 2 children when she meets Joseph, Rebecca Solomons born 1837 and Jane Solomons born 1841. Now the fact that they are called Solomons means either she wasn't married to the father or she married another Solomons.

For her mother we have tried all the girls name of the children as if you notice the family call there children after other family members. Each of Joseph and Carolines children can be traced back to their own families. No luck so far.

Now thanks to Mark King we know that Abraham Levy - Jacob's older brother committed suicide by hanging himself May 26 1875, while of unsound mind. He also states that Jacob maternal grandfather died young - If anybody can give me any info on this I would be grateful because we have spent hours upon hours trying to find her family and no luck.

Finally Caroline - Jacob's mother dies in 1888 - could this be a stressor to the killings?

Tj
      Last edited by tji; 03-11-2010, 08:16 PM. Reason: punctuation
      It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Jacob The Ripper

Hi All
        Everybody interested in Jacob Levy knows of his imprisonment in 1866 for stealing meat, however what strikes us as strange is that Jacob was sentenced to 12 months hard labour, but then sent to an asylum.
        What is also a possible link to Jacobs character is that in 1872, Jacob would be about 16years old, a Jacob Levy was scheduled to appear at Clerkenwell magistrates court charged with Sexual assault. The case was however dismissed.
        Keep Well
        Jimi

Comment

There was a JTR special on last week naming Levy as their prime suspect. Unfortunately I don't remember everything that they said in the program. Hopefully it will rerun soon.

Comment

Jacob the ripper

Hi Redbird
            Yes, there seems to have been an increase in the media coverage about jacob levy lately. Last programe i watched included Stewart Evans and Donald Rumblow,quite interesting apart from the profile building, only in my opinion.
            Keep Well
            Jimi

Comment

Jacob the ripper

Hi All
              Just too make all things equal, the police in 1888 were reported to be watching the antics of a person of unsound mind who was lodging with his brother near Butchers Row Aldgate.
              While a patient at Stone lunatic asylum jacob had only one visitor,Isaac barnett. isaac married jacobs sister, and ran a milk business from Middlesex Street. Could this be the lunatic,Jacob levy) who was living with his brother in law. Stranger things have happend.
              keep Well
              Jimi

Comment

Hyam Levy (Joseph H.'s father) ran his butcher shop at 36 Petticoat Lane (Middlesex) for many years. It was there that Joseph grew up. Instead of helping to run his father's business, he moves to no. 1 Hutchinson, just down the street when he's in his 20's. This address fronted Middlesex St. and was virtually in the heart of the Petticoat Lane Market area. It was not part of "Butcher's Row", although there were rows of butcher stalls in the Petticoat Lane market. Cousin Jacob assumed ownership of no. 36 after Joseph's father died. Both men dealt with George Bolam, a cow keeper who had a small slaughter shop on Middlesex St. and a larger yard on the north side of Aldgate-High Street, across from Butcher's Row.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimi
                  While a patient at Stone lunatic asylum
                  Keep it coming, Jimi. I don't know too much about Jacob Levy. I'm confused by all the Hyam Levys, Hyam Hyams, etc. I suppose you're aware that Lady Anderson once remarked that the Ripper was in an asylum near Stone?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Scott

Thanks for the info.

Yes we had read about Hyam running 36 Middlesex Street and Joseph moving to Hutchinson Avenue. Also I am sure I have seen that Joseph, Jacob's dad rented 1 Hutchinson Ave before Joseph did but for the life of me can't find it in my notes! Will keep looking for that.

Also Hyam Levy died after an illness of 40 hours on 25 Nov 1872, seems like a sudden death. Francis died at the end of 1888 I believe. Seemed a lot happening in 1888 in the Levy family to say the least.

Tj

Comment

Hi Tom

I suppose you're aware that Lady Anderson once remarked that the Ripper was in an asylum near Stone?

Yeah, tantalising isn't it?!

We have had quite a few headaches and family tree charts trying to sort out these families - I think we have details on most of Levys, Hyams, Abrahams, Napthali's, Solomons in London for the 1800's!!

My first suspect of the 2 was Hyam Hyams - he was very similar to Jacob Levy on the surface - local, Jewish, sent to an asylum, but the more I researched Jacob the more he seemd to fit the mould.

The Old Bailey report of a Jacob Levy being arrested for sexual assault at the age of 16 was interesting, we are trying to find out more about that at the moment.

Tj

Comment

Jacob the Ripper

Hi Scott
                        You seem well informed about the levys trading life.
                        Joseph levy seems to have moved to 1 Hutchinson Avenue around about 1871 after marrying Frances Napthali. He took over the premises from his brother Napthali Levy, he is unmarried and trading as a General Dealer.
                        Jacob however traded from premises in Fieldgate St. after his marriage to Sarah Abrahams. He could not have been a very good butcher ,however, as in 1886 he is convicted of stealing(recieving) meat from his neighbour shop.
                        It is recorded that his wife stated that he almost ruined HER business, "he also feels that if he is not restrained he will do violence to someone".
                        Is it not plausible to assume that by 1888 Jacob and Sarah were parted and Jacob was living elsewhere?
                        Keep well
                        Jimi

Comment

Jacob The Ripper

Hi Tom
                          Personally i didn`t know about lady Andersons remarks. Thanks for that.
                          Although TJ says she Knew. Yeah,like thats gonna happen, a woman knowing more than a MAN. no,no,no. LOL.
                          Jacob Levy for me and TJ is a very viable suspect. Let`s face it we`ve had Prince Eddie, Maybrick and Sickert. Is it less likely than these a Man whose family have a history of mental problems,who has the knife skills of a butcher,who has a criminal record and is diagnosed with Syphillis, who is sentenced to jail but ends up in an asylum, whose own wife is recorded as saying " he complains of hearing strange noises,cries for no reason, feels compelled to do acts that his conscience cannot stand and that he he does not sleep at night and wanders [U]around aimlessly for hours"
                          [/U]
                          Why Jacob levy isn`t taken more seriously as a suspect is puzzling to TJ and I
                          Keep Well
                          Jimi

Comment

Jacob The Ripper

Hi Tom
                            Oh, and did i forget to mention that, the witness Joseph levy, was his cousin?
                            Keep Well
                            Jimi

Comment

Hi Jimi

Personally i didn`t know about lady Andersons remarks. Thanks for that.
                              Although TJ says she Knew. Yeah,like thats gonna happen, a woman knowing more than a MAN. no,no,no. LOL.

Obviously you are just jealous of my superior research skills and knowledge.

Tj

Comment

Working...
                              X