John William Smith Sanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John William Smith Sanders

When reading about Sanders a few weeks ago I was puzzled by the disagreements between published works about which asylum he was living in at the time of the murders.

(1) Sugden, pp. 155, 495-6, has him at West Malling Place in Kent (citing among other records MH 94/11). In a Ripperologist article from 1996 (http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/rip-thirdman.html) Jon Ogan gives more detail, saying he was admitted to the Holloway Sanatorium on 12 June 1889 (citing a letter from archivists at Surrey Record Office), and that according to a note made on his admission to Exeter Lunatic Asylum he "Has been at West Mailing for 3 years and Virginia Water for 9 years."

(2) On the other hand the "A-Z", p. 382, says he was admitted to Holloway Asylum probably in 1887 and transferred to West Malling in 1896. This is repeated by Begg, The Facts, p. 107, who also gives the date of his admission to Heavitree Asylum, Exeter, as 30 May 1899.

I checked MH 94/11 (register of admissions to provincial licensed houses) and found an entry for his admission to West Malling Place on 9 February 1887. The date of discharge was given as 12 June 1890 ("Reld" - Relieved).

It seems that the date exactly a year earlier - 12 June 1889 - for his admission to Holloway must be an error for 12 June 1890, particularly as that gives perfect agreement with the periods of 3 years and 9 years mentioned in the Exeter records.

I didn't find any entries relating to his admission to Holloway or Exeter. I'm not sure why, but it may be that he went there as a voluntary patient.
Working...
X