suspect Henry Shaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspect Henry Shaw?

Has anyone come across a suspect named Henry Shaw before?
    Two articles in the Los Angeles Herald in 1910 name him as a person who had been arrested as a 'person implicated in the Jack the ripper crimes' about 20 years previously.
    Here are the two articles that give an outline of his story.
    Coincidentaly, looking at Chris Scott's transcribed records from the Whitechapel Infirmary I put into XL, there was a Henry Shaw, single, painter aged 24 living at the Victoria Home in 1889.

Los Angeles Herald 13 Dec 1910

Click image for larger version

Name:	Los Angeles Herald, Volume 33, Number 73, 13 December 1910.gif
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	669873

Los Angeles Herald Dec 6 1910

Click image for larger version

Name:	henry shaw los angeles herald dec 6 1910.gif
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	669874

[QUOTE=Debra A;123147]
    Coincidentaly, looking at Chris Scott's transcribed records from the Whitechapel Infirmary I put into XL, there was a Henry Shaw, single, painter aged 24 living at the Victoria Home in 1889.

Hello Debs,

That place, the Victoria Home, keeps cropping up in relation to "Jack"..

I wonder if this Henry Shaw may have used an alias....

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Could be an alias. The section that states the man says he was arrested for the murders is similar to Arbie La Bruckman, who made such a claim. I wonder if this is another version of this? Maybe.......
      Best regards,
      Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Hi Debs
        I have seen this story before but under the name of "Jack Shaw"
        The article below is from the Cedar Rapids Evening Gazette of 3 December 1910
        Regards
        Chris S
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting that this article gives the date of Shaw fleeing England, fearing arrest as the Ripper, as 1895.

Cedar Rapids Evening Gazette
          3 December 1910

CAPTURE ORIGINAL "JACK THE RIPPER"?

Man, Whose Admissions Lead Police to Believe He Committed Atrocious London White Chapel Crimes in Early Eighties is Held in Los Angeles Insane Ward.

By Associated Press.

Los Angeles, Cal., Dec. 3.
          Having admitted during lucid moments to police that he fled from England fifteen years ago in fear of being arrested as "Jack the Ripper," who committed the notorious White Chapel crimes of the latter 80's, Jack Shaw is being detained in the insane ward of the county hospital. Shaw was arrested through the efforts of the Legal Aid Society, the complaint being that he attempted to murder Edith Tyson, his half sister, last Wednesday. The man's mental condition was found to be such that he was locked up in an insane ward. His past life will be investigated and local authorities will notify the London police of their suspicions. Shaw has not admitted that he is the notorious "Jack the Ripper," but his constant reference to the subject indicates that it is desperately impressed upon his mind. He is fifty years of age.

This article, with slight variations, appeared in the following papers giving the suspect's name as Jack Shaw:
          Colorado Springs Gazette 3 Dec 1910
          Reno Evening Gazette 3 Dec 1910
          Logansport Pharos 5 Dec 1910
          Sheboygan Daily Press 5 Dec 1910
          Iowa City Citizen 5 Dec 1910
          Last edited by Chris Scott; 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Many thanks, Chris,
            I managed to find a more detailed version that gave his name as John Shaw!

It seems he was also implicated in the death of his brother some months before.
            After the lunacy commission declared him sane he was re-arreasted by police on the charge of attempting to kill his half sister.
            I will try and post the article later when I have more time.
            Last edited by Debra A; 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Phil Carter;123150]
              Originally posted by Debra A View Post

Hello Debs,

That place, the Victoria Home, keeps cropping up in relation to "Jack"..

I wonder if this Henry Shaw may have used an alias....

best wishes

Phil
              Hi Phil, yes he did apparently...John, Jack or Henry
              I'm not sure the VH has really anything to do with it apart from the coincidence of there being a Henry Shaw living there in 89...I always cross reference the names that come up, just in case...

Comment

Computer Generated Text Of The Article

THINK PRISONER 'JACK THE RIPPER'

Officers Arrest Man Who Tells of Having Been Suspected of Whitechapel Crimes

PROWLS AT SISTER'S HOME

John Shaw to Be Held on Insanity Charge Pending an Investigation

In the opinion of Deputy Sheriffs Wood and Crowley, John Shaw, arrested yesterday, charged with being an Insane person, may be "Jack, the Ripper," whose atrocious crimes kept the Whitechapel district in London in a panic during 1888 and 1889, and who escaped, although scores of detectives tried to run him down.

The deputies Intended to arrest' Shaw on a charge of attempting to kill his half sister, Edith Tyson. When they located him he was in such a state of mind as to suggest that he is Insane. He told them that the face of his dead brother, Fred Shaw, haunted him. Fred Shaw was killed several months ago, a coroner's jury concluding that he met death by a fall down an elevator shaft in the Central National Bank building.

At the time of the young man's death Shaw was closely questioned by the police but allowed his liberty. He was later arrested at the instigation of his tlster, on a felony charge. The case was ulsmlssed In Justice Summerfleld'i court when the offense charged was proven to have been committed outside of the county. REFERS TO WHITECHAPEL CRIME Shaw, In his rational moments, but still fearful of the return of the vislon of the face of his brother, told the deputy sheriffs that he fled from England 15 years ago to escape arrest on suspicion of being the notorious Whitechapel criminal. Other statements he has} made cause the officers to believe they have effected the capture of the long-sought fugitive. He will be held on a charge of Insanity until a rigid investigation has been made Into his past life and the English authorities are informed.

Shaw is 45 or 50 years old.. He walks with a half crouch and a slight limp. His right arm is crippled from a bullet fired by his brother in San Francisco when the two, the sister alleges, were quarreling over her. Edith Tyson has been looked after by the Legal Aid society, which Is ln reality back of the prosecution of Shaw on a charge of attempting to kill her Wednesday night at the home of a family on the eastside where she was living. Numerous complaints have reached the sheriff's office of Shaw's actions in prowling around the home of his halfsister. Several nights ago he Is alleged to have seized a young woman in the backyard of the house evidently mistaking her for his- half-sister. She screamed for help and he released his grasp. Deputy Sheriff Wood is convinced that Shaw Is the man -tor whom the English police have been looking for many years. "Statements he made during his rational moments,'' the officer said yesterday, "lead me to believe that we have effected a capture that Is not only important to us in connection with young Fred Tyson's death, but developments may show, as I think more than likely, that he Is the man who has committed the Whitechapel crimes.

Shaw Is In the ward for the Insane in the county hospital.

Comment

Hello you all!

Well, I suppose, that Henry Shaw was a bit young to be Ripper (23-24). Since the eyewitnesses told the man to be about 35-45...

By the way, Debra, my dyslexia hit once again; I first read Bernard Shaw...

All the best
                  Jukka
                  "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

aliases

Another alias of Shaw was Monahan.

Comment

Hello Debs,

Once again, I am impressed by your research! Well done indeed!

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                      Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                      X