John McCarthy - Suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McCarthy - Suspect

The more I read about John McCarthy, the more sinister he seems. Could we have a possible ripper suspect here? I know he is briefly mentioned in CJ's suspect guide but I don't think he has ever been looked into in great detail as far as I know. There is a connection to Mary Kelly and he seems a bit suspect when the later murder of Mary Ann Austin occurs in 1901.
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Hi UJ,
    Not really.John McCarthy wasnt Jack the Ripper.He may have been a slum landlord and tried to cover up how some of his "rents" earned their doss money.He may have been prepared to lie about who saw what and how well he "knew" Mary Kelly.....but I doubt he was the serial killer who stalked Whitechapel in 1888.He was a bit too central to his lodging houses-and too many people knew him,went into his shop,knew his family etc.on a day by day 24 hour basis.
    Best
    Norma

Comment

I think Pearly Poll accidentally killed John McCarthy in a botched attempt to provide D'Onston with a reason to leave the London Hospital.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Three disqualifiers are his age (about 40).

There's no mention of how he might fill the autopsy suspicions of anatomical knowledge.

He's a better known person in the area and likely to have been recognized prowling the streets.

All of London is a suspect, but I wouldn't have him high on the list.
        Dave McConniel

Comment

He's not one for my money, I'm afraid. It's easy to see him as a bad guy, with modern eyes, but I really think he was just an east end bloke making a living. The problem is that we like to suspect anyone whose name we actually have, and McCarthy is a pretty prominent figure, cos he's one of the few 'blokes from the area' whose name we have...I think he's had a bit of a bad rap, personally.
          best,

claire

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack View Post
            The more I read about John McCarthy, the more sinister he seems.

Stop reading, Adam.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

Working...
            X