Abberline photo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abberline photo.

I have read that no photo of Abberline is though to be extant.

Is that really true?

Has noone looked through all the Monte Carlo 'papers when he was worked there for 3 years as a Pinkerton man and achieved great things to see if any 'paper had a picture of him?

doris

PS I just wondered about the writing of newspaper.
    I have always written it as newspaper or 'paper, showing that something is missing when one writes paper.

Are there any english pedants here who could proffer advice?
    Last edited by doris; 02-07-2010, 09:15 PM.
    ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

It is quite possible that the image of H-Division, presented in Jack the Ripper- Scotland Yard Investigates shows Abberline.

There has also been much debate over the years, and an article appeared in Ripper Notes issue 26 regarding the possibility of another face in the crowd picture.

This is one of the suggested men, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...RLINE-CROP.jpg

And there is a thread on this site featuring images too,
    For discussion of general police procedures, officials and police matters that do not have a specific forum.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Ah! The shabby/genteel look!

Comment

Photograph of Abberline

Due to the work he was doing in Monte Carlo I think it highly unlikely that Abberline or Pinkertons would have wanted his picture in the papers.

However the one place where there would be a photograph of him is in the Pinkerton files as they always photographed their agents to enable the various offices to establish identity.

I did contact Pinkertons years ago but they wanted quite a hefty fee to search their archives for it.

I think the best way to get them to look for it would be for some of our cousins to start a campaign (Freedom of Information ?) to get Pinkertons to cough up. After all they would get tremendous publicity out of it.

By the way I think 'paper' is perfectly acceptable, I believe that the vast majority of people know what you mean when you say 'paper.' It's all in the context. If you said 'I saw in yesterdays paper' I believe everyone would know you are referring to a newspaper. If however you said 'I have just hung some pretty paper on my wall' I don't think they will assume you are using page 3 of The Sun to decorate your room, oh I don't know though.

Comment

Hi all,

must say that "Rumbelow's Abberline" is very unlikely to me.

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Originally posted by doris View Post
            I have always written it as newspaper or 'paper, showing that something is missing when one writes paper.
            Just paper is fine, Doris; the word doesn't require an apostrophe...although using the full word in the third sentence of your post would avoid possible confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by doris View Post

Are there any english pedants here who could proffer advice?
              Hi Doris

'Paper' of course, is a slang contraction of 'Newspaper' which is commonly used in conversation in English speaking countries but usually best avoided in print. For instance, on this site one would say 'The Times' or 'The Times newspaper' and not 'The Times paper'
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I know it wouldn't help a jot in any real manner, but I love to see pictures of people that I read about.

The best I have managed to come up with is a newspaper drawing that is supposed to be Abberline, showing a chap with mutton-chop whiskers.

doris
                ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

doris,

That picture Mike mentioned shows possibally two men who could be Abberline.

I personally think the man shown on Wiki is Sergent Godley.

Yours truly
                  Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
                  X