Since Friday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since Friday...

Right off, mea culpa if this has already been discussed, but I have not yet seen it listed here. Two points:

1. Does anyone have a photo or scan of the actual Since Friday letter? Insofar, I’ve seen only what appears to be a reproduction of a handwritten letter oftentimes splashed across the top of Casebook, like a banner.

If the “banner” is a reproduction of the handwriting on the letter, then I have some issues with it, because stylistically and technically, it is dissimilar to Monte’s known handwriting.

Please refer to the letter written by Monte to his Uncle Robert, circa 1876. It was posted by Chris Scott, by permission of Stewart Evans, in the “Time to Peruse the Druitt Letter?” thread. There are, of course, some similarities, but anyone attempting to forge another’s handwriting would notice and attempt to reproduce the major stylistic shifts. It’s the many minor shifts in style between the letters that have failed to make it from the Dear Uncle letter to the Since Friday letter.

Granted, there were 12 years between the two letters, and the handwriting of an individual can shift over time, but there are indications to me of more mental maturity in the Dear Uncle letter than in the Since Friday letter. Depression can change a person’s handwriting as well, but yet, there are more indications of depression and confusion in Monte’s Dear Uncle letter than in the Since Friday letter.

I would be interested enough to have a professional graphologist look into this, and I’d probably even front the cash. I wonder what the permissions are for that sort of thing.

2). Okay, say Monte had written the letter, after all. The last dated evidence we have for Monte is his ticket dated for Saturday, 1 Dec 1888. Why would he decide to kill himself later that day and write “Since Friday,” instead of “Since yesterday?”

So, following logically and ruling out Saturday for the day he had supposedly committed suicide, the next earliest day (Sunday) would make *how many hours exactly* that Monte was in London limbo somewhere? Not at Blackheath and not at any other location typical for him, all the while dressed to the nines… and he most likely would not have slept in those clothes.

What I’m saying is that if Monte had written the letter, it would have been written at earliest on Sunday, and yet, Monte dashes out on 30 Nov or 1 Dec, looking the fashion plate that he was, without a change of underpants in sight and no other, as of yet, traceable movements.

My contention is that he did not write the letter, and that the letter was fabricated to give the illusion that there had been some time between his actual disappearance and the made up “date” of “Sunday, etc.” to allow for the creation of an alibi for someone who might have wished to do him harm.

I’m just throwing out my observations to see what you more experienced lot on Casebook think. Please be kind, I’m a newbie!

Clarification:

In order for him to have written the letter, he would have had to have written it, at earliest, on Sunday. So, imagine on Sunday (or later) that he gets himself all freshly dressed in that posh suit.. why on Earth would a ticket from two days ago be in his pocket?
    Last edited by Moni; 01-25-2010, 02:33 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Comment

A Nicely Presented Case Moni

Hello Moni,

Welcome to these boards.( Presuming these are your early posts "I'm a newbie").

The displayed "Since Friday.." writing at the top ,of the page is a bit of artistic fiction.

But that does not discount from your perceptive wrestling with the logic of Druitt's alleged wording in his last note.

No-one can find the Inquest papers for his death. So, the note, quoted in the regional press about his drowning and the Inquest, has never been sighted in modern times.

Perhaps it was a bit naughty of the Casebook people to create that pseudo suicide note. But at least, it drew you into meaningful involvement on these discussion boards.And, by the looks of it, you will be a useful addition.

I have no idea why MJD allegedly wrote " Since Friday..." unless he was thinking that his body would not be found for a loooong time.

However, as a lawyer the note was a bit short!! JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post

I have no idea why MJD allegedly wrote " Since Friday..." unless he was thinking that his body would not be found for a loooong time.
        Hello John

In the state of mind he was in, I doubt if Montie Druitt gave any thought to when his body might be discovered. Besides which, he could not have known how long it would take to recover his body, whether almost immediately after he drowned himself or some time later. But of course you know all that.

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I think that it's quite odd that someone would do away with himself because 'he had felt he was going to be like mother' only since Friday. If he felt like this and did away with himself a few days later it seems a very short passage of time between feeling that way and taking drastic action to end it all. How did he know that, given a few weeks, he wouldn't feel so much better?

To his cricketing frineds, it seems Druitt's life was ticking along as normal and whatever it was that bothered him did not seem to affect his game. However, it seems he had been troubled enough to lose his job and, if McNaughton's notes are to be believed, his family had concerns about him - so why didn't they take steps to help him? It would not have been difficult to have had him privately confined if they had any real evidence or belief that he was the murderer. Why let him carry on and risk getting caught, thus bringing shame and horror on the family?

No, my feeling is that Druitt had been struggling privately with depression, or perhaps some sort of addiction, for some time and that, after the confinement of his mother a few months previously, it dawned on him that he might not recover and that he decided to end his life rather than lose his dignity and his freedom.

I don't believe he was JtR and think that his name ended up in those notes only because McNaughton was trying to find some names to deflect attention aways from Thomas Cutbush and Druitt fitted as a suspect because he had committed suicide and because his family fancied (as did a few families) that their relative fitted the 'Jack as toff' role.

Comment

First: "Thank You" to the gatekeepers who helped to patch my account so I can post.

Then: Hello to all.

Without a date on the letter, we don't know what Friday he was referring to.
            (if, indeed he wrote the words. We only have the paraphrase)

Although I think he would have taken more time to organize his own death, he may have made his decision on the same day he was terminated from the school.
            That being Friday, November 30th, the Friday he might refer to is November 23rd.

(using this Calendar Calculator)

From the standpoint that he's the killer, he's a planned and methodical person. If he hadn't chosen the date of his demise, he would have planned how and what needed to be done in advance.

I don't have a working knowledge of how the train tickets are used.
            If he has a Season Pass for the trains, what is the Hammersmith/Charing Cross ticket for?
            Dave McConniel

Comment

Working...
            X