1858 Dr. Tumblety Advertisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1858 Dr. Tumblety Advertisement

Here's one of Dr Tumblety's early advertisements; this one is dated 1858 and was published in a Canadian almanac.

I noticed that the good doctor has invited the public to consult him regarding their health,
    and that he is charging a fee of $1.00 per person- that could really add up in 1858!

I wonder how many responded?

Best regards, Archaic
    Attached Files

Fabulous finds, Arch.

I particularly like the second advertisement for vegetable pain-killers. There's nothing worse than a cabbage with a headache, I've found.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Interesting post Archaic, I happen to have a small collection of snake oil elixers from the late 1800's still in their boxes, I bought them at various small antique barns and shops in spots like Mentone, Alabama... and back road antique places...and I have in my hand right now a box of Mr Perry Davis's PAINKILLER.....

Antiseptic, Healing, Warming

Taken Internally for common colds, Cramps, Colic, Diarrhoea [sic], Also for common coughs-when mixed as directed

Applied Externally as a Compress for Common Sore Throat, Spasmodic Croup

As an application for Sprains, Bruises, frost Bites, Chilblains, Bites and Stings, Strained muscles, Rheumatic Pains, Cuts, Scratches, and other minor injuries.

50 cents, by the David and Lawrence Company, New York and Montreal, Est 1839.

My guess is its 98% alcohol, but Ive never opened it,....and its full.

Thought you might chuckle...Internal and External,...how charming.

Best regards Arch, all.

Comment

1858 Vegetable Painkillers

Thanks, Sam.

Lettuce with Lumbago is no joke either.

I happened to scan that ad too, because the claims these Victorian advertisements are so outlandish, so here you go.

I wonder what was in this miraculous remedy? They actually claim that it cures Cholera.

Cheers, Archaic
        Attached Files

Comment

"The poor will be liberally considered."
          Magnifico.

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

Hi, Mike, your collection sounds really cool; it's very hard to find antique remedies still in the original bottle & box.
            Does your bottle say "Vegetable Painkiller" or is it a different miracle cure?

I certainly hope there was a good dose of alcohol in these snake-oil remedies; that at least might do the patient some good!
            I believe I found a report where some of the popular remedies were analyzed by the Govt to determine their ingedients; I'll see if I can locate it.

Hi, DVV. I like where Dr T assures everyone that he will give "immediate attention" to envelopes full of cash arriving in the mail. Yeah, I bet!!

What a racket. Best regards, Archaic
            Last edited by Archaic; 12-30-2009, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Hi Archaic,

have you noticed that it cures both "sudden colds" and "severe burns" ?

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

Hi, David.

I just noticed that Dr Tumblety speaks of "the iron grasp of Mercury" too.

Ever broken a mercury thermometer? lol

Cheers, Archaic

Comment

I just thought of the advertising slogan Dr T should have used:

"One Night With Venus- A Lifetime With Dr. Tumblety"

Archaic

Comment

Archaic,

Wonderful finds those! Impressive to say the least!

well done!

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Do not joke, my friend,
                      even the counterfeit was worth his buck.

Amitiés,
                      David

Comment

Simon Wood found this very same ad 5 months ago in the " Canadian Almanac & Repository Of Useful Knowledge" circa 1859. The ad he found is identical to the 1858 ad without the last line of the address.

Comment

Hello Howard,

May I respectfully point out a couple of things? Thank you.

Even though I have been in this game many a year, I didn't join ANY internet forum until 3 months ago, consequently I hadn't seen this advertisment before now.

Even since I joined the boards, I am sure there are many people that have never seen the above posting either, by sheer dint of being ignorant of such material, or being newbies.

That means, to my way of thinking at least, that although a posting may well have been seen before (and you mention another website, not this one), it may well have been missed by some or they may have been unaware of it's existance.

It doesn't matter WHO finds things either, and I have the utmost respect for Simon by the way, as he knows, but that people actually use their valuable time and energy in an effort to enrich the WHOLE of the Ripperology community with something, is a very valuable thing.

Likewise, I again RESPECTFULLY suggest that in my honest opinion, this isn't some sort of competition to see which person or which web site can be the first to find things, for I happen to believe in openly sharing knowledge... WHEREVER the item is posted.

There are tendencies, for a few individuals to use the voice of ego. Ripperology is not unusual in this respect.
                          What people mean, opinion-wise, is as varied as how many people there are on Earth. One doesn't have to agree with all of them, but one doesn't have to disagree either. But if those people make the effort to share, then praise is the by word, not criticism.

Lastly, I would admit to finding it pretty annoying if I found my postings seemingly belittled in the (seemingly) pointless manner I respectfully believe you have done above, with a direct reference to another website posting, especially if that web site just happened to be organised and run by the person criticising my posting.

I'm sorry Howard, but this kind of self promotion combined with a rather see through put down is, in my opinion petty. I would have thought you would also realise that this is read, as is your own website, by all members of a world wide community, and most people don't wish to go into such informative forums to see behaviour unbecoming of anyone. It is called, in old fashioned terms, respect.

And that SAME respect I extend to you. This isn't an opportunity for a personal dig in any way, I merely feel that these points above need to be said on this occasion. And it is said in a nice, calm way.

best wishes

Phil
                          Last edited by Phil Carter; 12-30-2009, 06:09 AM.
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Dear Phil:

Not sure how I was being critical, but in any event, I wanted to point out that this advertisement for Tumblety emanated from the "Canadian Almanac & Repository Of Useful Knowledge" a fact not mentioned in the original post, thats all.

Have a nice New Year yourself, Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                              Dear Phil:

Not sure how I was being critical, but in any event, I wanted to point out that this advertisement for Tumblety emanated from the "Canadian Almanac & Repository Of Useful Knowledge" a fact not mentioned in the original post, thats all.

Have a nice New Year yourself, Phil
                              Thank you Howard,

and the same seasonal greetings to you too

best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X