Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mormons On Tumblety 1889: 2 Cutting Incidents + 'Tumblety Wave' In Salt Lake City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormons On Tumblety 1889: 2 Cutting Incidents + 'Tumblety Wave' In Salt Lake City

Hi, I don't believe this article has been posted before; my apologies if it has.
    I found it amusing and thought this particular journal was an unexpected source for a Dr. Tumblety article.

It was published in the February 2, 1889 edition of The Deseret Weekly, a Salt Lake City, Utah journal put out by
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. (The Mormon Church)

The article is quite humorous. It sarcastically discusses the current fears of the more "timid" or "weak-minded" residents of Salt Lake City who worry that the dread Dr. Tumblety could somehow be related to two recently-alleged "cutting incidents". These were local incidents in which two different people claimed to have been attacked by some knife-wielding assailant under mysterious circumstances.

The editors were clearly having a bit of fun with the notion of Dr Tumblety being an international Ripper who is everywhere at once.

Their remark about "the Ripper ripple" and the public's fear of "the Tumblety wave" reaching Salt Lake City made me laugh.

(For those unfamiliar with American geography, The Great Salt Lake is surrounded by a vast desert made of bone-dry salt flats. )

Enjoy. Best regards, Archaic
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
    Hi, I don't believe this article has been posted before; my apologies if it has.
    I found it amusing and thought this particular journal was an unexpected source for a Dr. Tumblety article.

It was published in the February 2, 1889 edition of The Deseret Weekly, a Salt Lake City, Utah journal put out by
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. (The Mormon Church)

The article is quite humorous. It sarcastically discusses the current fears of the more "timid" or "weak-minded" residents of Salt Lake City who worry that the dread Dr. Tumblety could somehow be related to two recently-alleged "cutting incidents". These were local incidents in which two different people claimed to have been attacked by some knife-wielding assailant under mysterious circumstances.

The editors were clearly having a bit of fun with the notion of Dr Tumblety being an international Ripper who is everywhere at once.

Their remark about "the Ripper ripple" and the public's fear of "the Tumblety wave" reaching Salt Lake City made me laugh.

(For those unfamiliar with American geography, The Great Salt Lake is surrounded by a vast desert made of bone-dry salt flats. )

Enjoy. Best regards, Archaic
    Archaic,

I certainly appreciate you uploading these articles. It is interesting to me that for the last 100 years until the 1990s, Tumblety was not even on the radar as a suspect, yet, all of America new of his possible connections just after the murders.

Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
      Archaic,

I certainly appreciate you uploading these articles. It is interesting to me that for the last 100 years until the 1990s, Tumblety was not even on the radar as a suspect, yet, all of America new of his possible connections just after the murders.

Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Mike
      I think Stewart Evans deserves full credit for his re-discovery of this suspect and the understanding of its importance to modern theorists.

No matter whether Dr T killed anyone, he is sure one hell of an interesting historical figure.

Best regards

Comment

Thank you, Mike, I'm very glad you are enjoying the articles.

This one in particular really surprised me. Whoever would have thought that the Mormons would have written in such a sarcastic way about
        dear Dr. Tumblety?

Hello, Michael.

I agree with you that Stewart deserves a great deal of credit for having done so much to enrich our knowledge of history.

Dr Tumblety certainly is an odd fish!
        I have a feeling that if we keep looking we'll continue to turn up more about him- he sure got around.

Thanks and best regards, Archaic

Comment

Working...
        X