A few photos of Chiswick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few photos of Chiswick

A few photos I took in Chiswick a few weeks back now - versions of a few of these have appeared on the 'final days' thread before, but as others have commented before it's better things are on the site more than once rather than not at all. A few views I haven't seen on this site before - apologies if I'm mistaken. My main reason for taking this trip was that I'm not sure how well Chiswick is known to many on here - I guess it's Ripper-relatedness depends on how you view Druitt as a suspect, but anyway I hope they add something for someone.

A big acknowledgement to Richard Jones, whose excellent London: History & Mystery provided an invaluable reference, surprisingly for a non-Ripper related chapter in a non-Ripper related book!. His Walking Haunted London is, if anything, even better.

As with my recent post of some Swanson document photos, taken on the same weekend (I have one final set in and around Whitechapel, Spitalfields and Aldgate still to post) I have found my technological ignorance a bit of a barrier here, and so as with that thread what I will do is simply post the links to the pages on Flickr at the appropriate places in the text, and if any clever mods want to attach them properly then that would be great, similarly if anyone else who knows how to do it wants to private message me with some idiot-proof instructions.

Osiers, Chiswick Mall. Built in 1786, owned in 1888 by Harry Wilson, Conservative member of Parliament. Wilson used it as the headquarters for his ‘Cambridge Conversazione Society’, aka ‘the Apostles’. Allegedly this was a society of ‘prominent though secretive homosexuals’ (Jones’ words), and as Druitt was found nearby (very nearby, in fact, as we shall see) it has been suggested that he had visited Wilson prior to his suicide (this is from Jones, I must admit it is not a reference I have come across?) Either way, it is a stunning house, one of many along this exclusive stretch (full of more Sunday morning joggers than you have ever seen in one place).

View along the Thames from Chiswick Mall, just a few feet into the road from where the Osiers shot was taken. Looks quite peaceful doesn't it? Chiswick Eyot just visible, an 'Eyot' for those who don't know being a small island in a river, of which there are many along the Thames, this being one of the largest. Chiswick Eyot was formerly used for growing a kind of wicker - osiers - for weaving baskets etc, hence the house name. The Oxford-Cambridge boat race passes along here.

Facing west along Chiswick Mall; Osiers is the last house visible (just!) before the road curves, just in front of the silver car.

Church Street Causeway. The location where Druitt’s body was found, more or less exactly. A few boats moored up here now, as likely then, one of which is just about visible on the left. Note the stray Halloween balloon. This is about ten yards from where the last photo was taken, and probably less than a hundred yards from Osiers. The boat race passes here, too.

Not the most salubrious of final resting places…

Looking back up the Causeway, towards Chiswick Mall, and St. Nicholas’ churchyard, where Hogarth – of 'Gin Lane' fame – is buried.

Church Street Causeway, 1849. From the information board on the wall by the ramp – and no, it makes no mention of Druitt. The Causeway can be seen two-thirds along on the right, St. Nicholas’ to the left and Chiswick Mall on the right, up which ‘we’ have just walked right to left.

Hogarth’s grave, epitaph by David Garrick. Couldn’t resist.

Old Burlington; a little bit of local flavour! An Elizabethan building, formerly the Burlington Arms (more on Lord Burlington later). Allegedly the site of Dick Turpin’s wedding breakfast. And immediately next door to…

Lamb Cottage, formerly the Lamb Tap public house – site of Montague Druitt’s inquest in 1889. The adjacent brewery still extant behind (2nd photo is the yard seperating Lamb Cottage from Old Burlington, formerly the access to the brewery).

Looking back towards the Thames from the Lamb Tap site, Old Burlington on the left, the Causeway just about visible straight ahead.

Chiswick Square. Another bit of local flavour. Described in Vanity Fair (the novel not the magazine), one of the smallest squares in London, Boston House (facing) is 17th century, the surrounding houses are 18th century.

Standing in Chiswick Square, facing the other way – what a contrast. The Great North Road, possibly the most depressing road in all of London. The flyover to the left leads up to the Hogarth Roundabout – you really know you’ve made it when you get a roundabout named after you. Very few places in London so clearly illustrate the capital’s growth over the last couple of centuries or so as Chiswick (to my mind at least), and how what is now just a rather pretty Western part of the capital would once have been a sleepy parochial village – as it would have still been in Druitt’s day.

A final piece of local flavour – Chiswick House. Built in the early 18th century for Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington, it became a 19th century lunatic asylum and then a 20th century wreck, before being rescued by English Heritage. It is now undergoing yet more refurbishment, as are its grounds, which unfortunately impeded any better pictures. No Druitt links whatsoever, but the spectre of an asylum certainly seems to have played on Montague's mind, at least towards his final days. We can always wonder how this sight may have played on his fragile mind if indeed he did visit Chiswick on that last journey...

And just for a bit of fun – look what’s just around the corner!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Temple, London – not Chiswick). The Tudor Street entrance to the ‘Inner Temple’, one of the collections of barrister’s chambers along the Victoria (Thames) Embankment. This is as close as you can get unfortunately without a member of the Temple to accompany you, but King’s Bench Walk would be on the left immediately past the door, running – I think – to the left back towards the river. Druitt's chambers were at no. 9, of course.

legend

Hello TNB. Lovely photos and a great service for the Druittists.

Tell me, did you have an opportunity to chat up any of the older locals? I was given to understand that, amongst those who lived near the river side, there used to be a legend about "Jack" being fished out of the water there. Others have denied this legend. Any information about this?

The best.
    LC

Comment

Hello again Lynn,

I will be honest- I had planned to get up early on this day and spend all day in Chiswick and various other places getting lots of photos, had I had the time I had planned then I would certainly have ended up doing a bit of a pub crawl around Chiswick gathering whatever info. I could. As it happened I was out til 4.30 (by the time I had managed to get a Sunday morning night-bus back, a strange experience at the best of times nevermind when surrounded by werewolves and zombies) at a Halloween party the day before and so was a little later getting up than I had planned and also feeling a little the worse for wear. So it ended up being a bit of a truncated trip; the good news is that I will be back in London for a few days either side of New Year, and my parents' flat (where we will be staying, as they are away) is only 20 mins from Chiswick on the Underground, and so I will do a little more digging then...watch this space.

I can tell you that there is a local legend in central London which I have always felt has its roots in Druitt's candidacy. The tale goes that 'Jack' drowned in the Thames having thrown himself off Blackfriar's bridge after the final (Miller's Court) murder. Now there is no suspect who fits this (apart from the anonymous 'drowned doctor' which may or may not refer to Druitt anyway) but seeing as the train ticket found on Druitt's body suggested that he had boarded the train at Blackfriars, I have always felt this must have been the source of this particular round of 'Chinese Whispers'. Interestingly (but probably irrelevantly) Blackfriar's bridge is barely a 5 minute walk from Druitt's former chambers.

Thanks for the appreciation. All the best to you and yours too.

Comment

memories

Hello TNB. Quite an interesting tale. Although I do not wish to put faith in rumours, I still wonder about their sources--where there's smoke, there's fire.

Enjoy the pub crawling! I hope you can chat up some of the really old denizens. Perhaps a near faded memory could unlock a hitherto closed door.

I shall keep my eyes peeled for your results.

The best.
        LC

Comment

Thank you for the photos, tnb

Thornycroft shipyard in winter 1895
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch1895.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	658289
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
            A few photos I took in Chiswick a few weeks back now
            Great photos. gives me a much better sense of the area. Miller's Court looks prosperous. Is it?

curious

Comment

Hi, Tnb, and thank you for the lovely photos.

I especially enjoyed seeing Hogarth's Tomb and Chiswick Square. 'Vanity Fair' is one of my favorite books of all time.

Thanks and best regards, Archaic

Comment

Thank you tnb!

Memories of my teenage years!. And, notwithstanding, a certain Mr. Phil Collins, if memory serves me correctly!

best wishes

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                  Great photos. gives me a much better sense of the area. Miller's Court looks prosperous. Is it?

curious
                  Chiswick is prosperous, full stop, but yes Chiswick Mall and anything near it is extremely expensive, well beyond the reach of the average mortal if you ask me.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have only just ventured back onto this thread as I thought it had died a natural death, bit of a pleasant surprise! Great photo Roy by the way, where did you find that?
                  Last edited by tnb; 03-16-2010, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you. Found it at English Heritage NMR Viewfinder

Roy
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Strand on the Green, Chiswick 1878

Click image for larger version

Name:	StrandGreen1878.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	659536
                      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                        Strand on the Green, Chiswick 1878

[ATTACH]9299[/ATTACH]
                        Lovely photo Roy. The man on the right looks very laid back for a photograph of the period, maybe he was used to being caught on camera!

Comment

Working...
                        X