Does anyone truly believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone truly believe

that the identity of Jack the ripper will ever be discovered? About in your lifetime?

I personally don't think so. Too much evidence is lost, too much time has past, and too many forgeries out there.
    Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

Comment

I'm very doubtful - it would require some sort of miracle discovery, which would then be subject to scorn, debate and derision and turn out to be dubious at best, a la the Diary.

But if it came to pass, then so be it. Honestly, I enjoy the mystery, so I might prefer it to happen when I'm very much older.

B.
      Bailey
      Wellington, New Zealand
      hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
      www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Originally posted by jonwilson View Post
        that the identity of Jack the ripper will ever be discovered? About in your lifetime?
        I believe its possible we may learn what Jack The Ripper probably did....but not who he was. We may be able to reasonably exclude some victims, perhaps even add some.

Best regards

Comment

Definitely not. His identity's completely lost and gone for good.

Comment

I honestly cannot see any piece of evidence which, at this remove and with this much research having gone into the case and all and sundry involved with it, that would convince everyone - or even a majority - that the case was solved.

Even if someone were to find a law book in an attic in a derelict house in Dorset, engraved 'to Montague on the occasion of his being called to the Bar, love Mum' and with a note pinned inside saying 'I, Montague J Druitt, killed Polly Nicholls, Annie Chapman, Liz Stride, Catherine Eddowes and Mary Kelly, and I did it because...' what would it prove? Maybe he was mad and thought he was the Ripper, maybe he was covering up for someone else, maybe it was a joke, maybe it was written by someone trying to set him up, maybe it's a modern forgery....and the arguing and the theorising would stroll on into the sunset unhindered, and the presses would keep rolling...

Hello M&P by the way, not 'seen' you around for a while. We must get back to irritating people with our Stephen White theories again some time...!

Comment

Too right, my friend.
              Originally posted by tnb
              Hello M&P by the way, not 'seen' you around for a while. We must get back to irritating people with our Stephen White theories again some time...!
              Haha! xD That we must.

Comment

truth

Hello TNB. I fear what you say is true. But perhaps such a find would offer a reasonable presumption of the evidence?

The best.
                LC

Comment

Hello all,

Shall I dare to go against the grain on this one? Well.....

Under certain circumstances, I believe that a name COULD arise that would, at best, in all PROBABILITY, give us the answer. That means going from a "possible" to a "probable"... but there would have to be a change of major character from many sides for it to happen.

Having said that however, a "definitive proof", which tnb talks of... very very doubtful.

I still believe in the season of goodwill. The innocent in me never lets go...the cynical in me tells me otherwise.

I would like to think that the age of belief in the impossible isn't dead.

But then...who'd be a turkey at Christmas eh?

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

id be amazed if there was total proof ever now,but i wonder why nobody like Leonard Matters ever tried to seriously find out the truth,as i for one think it was possibly out there then,with even some witnesses still living.

Definete missed opportunity there and ive a feeling if the internet and this site plus the many researchers were around then we probably would have been able to name the killer

Comment

I have to say I am more interested in finding out other facts that who JR was. For example I would dearly love to find out more about Mary Jane Kelly. I would love for some one to find a picture of any of the other victims in life. Maybe some other artifacts that have been lost. If I am ever to know who JtR is I hope it will be a long time from now.
                      In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Jon,

My answer is one word, NO.

yours truly
                        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
                          I have to say I am more interested in finding out other facts that who JR was.
                          And who shot JR!
                          Regards Mike

Comment

No, unless some authentic documents surface that give more definitive answers, but I do not think that will happen, unfortunately...
                            Cheers,
                            cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                              And who shot JR!
                              Oooops! JtR!!
                              In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Working...
                              X