Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Read John Gaspard's THE RIPPEROLOGISTS

Here's my take on Mr. Gaspard's latest.
    THE RIPPEROLOGISTS is a novel set in the present day, but using the device of the Canonical 5 to motivate a series of murders taking place in New York City. That is, today's murderer has his own demonic reason for running a repeat on the Ripper's 5 which we, of course, all know about.
    Gaspard pairs up a renowned, fact based Ripperologist with a famous lady novelist to go after the perpetrator of the modern serial killings. There is a natural anti-magnetism between these two but they put up with each other for the sake of the case. Gaspard adds to this a rather unconservative detective and the right amount of romance to be believeable. When he isn't describing a murder scene he can be quite humorous and overall the book is entertaining.
    Could stand to be a bit more horrific, in my opinion, to really make it a reader's white-knuckle ride and also the at-odds protagonists could have more conflict between them but that's just nitpicking. The storyline is not as predictable as one would expect (that's GOOD!) and worth the read.

I've just finished The Ripperologists and went to amazon to leave my review and it's not there!.So I'm going to post it here!

To be honest I found it a tad contrived- the characterisation was- I imagine meant to become crystal clear to 'Ripperologists' but I - personally found it a tad irritating- they bore no genuine representation to any 'Ripperologist' - alive or dead.
    The equally irritating thing was the little 'tricks' re victim's
    names which anyone (Ripperologist/Policeman) worth their salt would have realised from the start and the plot unfolded in a slightly clumsy fashion- showing somewhat shabby research.

The coverage of conventions/conferences and message boards were also worrying- OK an attempt to summon up 'atmosphere' was made- but somehow didn't ring true.

Not meaning to totally trash this- because it is worth a read - maybe by a non 'Ripperologist'- but a tad more spice, pace and suspense would improve it as an all round read.

The cover is striking however- but does tend to curl on reading- oddly

Suzi
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Ripperologists

This was a "friendly" murder story.
      Yes, the graphic events could have been illustrated with more gore, but we get enough of that in the world and this book was, thankfully, light in it's descriptions of the murders.
      It was sort of like watching a segment of the Detective T.V. series "Colombo", for those of you who are familiar with the show.
      I think one of the characters of the book, McHugh, must have been drawn on directly from one of the JTRForums member Trevor Marriot (if I've gotten that name right).Somehow I just knew when I came across Trevor's picture that he was a Dectective or something of the kind.
      Most of all, I loved the way John Gaspard described the characters in the book useing very little detail.And yet I could visualize the characters completely.
      The ending: quite a surprise and one which leaves open the possibility for another in a series of Detective Ben Black, which after reading the Ripperologists I hope that John Gaspard will do!
      Great book, moved along readily and very readable.

Comment

Without prejudice!!!

Friendly?????!!!!!!!-Take more water with it paynej49 and do a little more research- Trevor Marriot it aint!!! !!!...or anyone else recognisable to be honest!!!

It's a VERY light weight piece that makes me wonder why people bother. ..Think I'll stick to my pictures!!! If I could write a novel- I would.....

I ADORE Colombo------Thinks...... "where did I go right" (c/o The Producers)?? !!!!!
        Last edited by Suzi; 02-06-2010, 06:36 PM.
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Ripperologist

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
          Friendly?????!!!!!!!-Take more water with it paynej49 and do a little more research- Trevor Marriot it aint!!! !!!...or anyone else recognisable to be honest!!!

It's a VERY light weight piece that makes me wonder why people bother. ..Think I'll stick to my pictures!!! If I could write a novel- I would.....

I ADORE Colombo------Thinks...... "where did I go right" (c/o The Producers)?? !!!!!
          Whatever.

Comment

Yeah, I know: I'm falling behind in my reading. But, geez, I can barely keep up with the new non-fiction books, let alone the novels.

I liked this book a lot more than Suzi did. It has a clever, fast-paced, well-researched plot with interesting, well-drawn characters. McHugh seems to me to be a combination of Rumbelow and Odell, and Thomas is a pleasanter version of Cornwell. (I can't say that I discerned much of Spry in Dimitri, but I guess we have to allow Gaspard some leeway.)

Well worth picking up, this one.

Comment

Working...
            X