Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Ripper wear disguses?

Hello,
    I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether you believe if JTR decided to dress up a little, wear fake facial hair, or make himself look different on a night he committed a murder from how he would normally look on every other day. There has been some speculation concerning this, particularly as a possible explanation as to why certain witness descriptions of the possible killer vary from person to person. I was reading Paul Begg's the Facts and came across this passage (hardcover, 3rd paragraph, pg. 124):

On Thursday, 13 September...In the evening at about ten o'clock a man passed through the Tower Subway from the Surrey to the Middlesex side, and said to the caretaker, "Have you caught any of the Whitechapel murders yet?" He then produced a knife, about a foot in length, with a curved blade and remarked, "This will do for them." He then ran away, pulling off and discarding FALSE WHISKERS as he went and disappeared from sight along Tooley Street. Described as: age, 30. 5'3", fair complexion, dark hair/moustache, wearing new, black diagonal suit, light dustcoat and dark cloth double-peaked hat.

Begg speculates that this was one of many practical jokers at the time. However, it's interesting, nonetheless. Maybe it was the killer trying to have a vicarious thrill in-between murders.

Also, not that it matters but The Zodiac killer mentioned in one of his letters that "I only look like the composite [composite sketch of murderer] when I do my thing; the rest of the time I look totally different." So, if true, serial killers disguising themselves is never out of the question. Does anyone here think Jack may have dressed up a little to avoid detection?
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

I believe this depends on whether or not his/her grasp of reality was strong enough to comprehend a need and therefore take a precaution. If the killer was psychotic for example he made not have had a grasp of reality this strong. Similarly a criminally inexperienced killer may not have had a conception of reality strong enough to fulfill this role. I can easily see persons committing these acts with no such conception. I believe before we could address this issue in earnest we would have to flesh out some details of the killers worldview. Certainly a sane person of an adolescent age could easily have the world view that a disguise might help. Respectfully Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Actually I don't think most of the witness descriptions vary all that much, at least not more than would be expected for brief glimpses in poor lighting, witness anxiety, etc. In the Chapman, Stride, and Eddowes cases it was basically a younger man in a dark overcoat and deerstalker or peaked cap. I believe this was his usual getup, though I've wondered on and off about fake moustaches. The only radical departure is of course the Astrakan Man reported seen by George Hutchinson in the Kelly case, and not many seem to agree with me on the idea that this was a disguise adapted by the Ripper after he knew he'd become the world's most hunted man. The fancy clothes could have been stolen if he couldn't afford them, and I agree with those who say he would have been mugger bait for sure in that getup in Spitalfields, but then the Ripper does seem to have been blessed with freak luck and perhaps felt confident with his knife to defend himself from any lesser comers.

Comment

Well, here is something else to consider as well though. The area where the Ripper killed is not that big. True, there are lots of side streets, but the murders were centered around one specific geographic location. And, while the population did seem to be overcrowded, it stands to reason that familar faces bumped into each other on occasion. And, since the Ripper wanted to kill in his primary comfort zone (the area he is familar with), he might have thought ahead and said to himself something like, "You know, there is the possibility I may run into so-and-so while I'm out doing my thing. So-and-so could recognize me and, if I have blood on my hands, he or she can identify me and turn me into the police. I better disguise myself." So, I think personally JTR disguised himself a little just to sort of not be recognized by any of the locals while he was out serial killin'.
        Last edited by JTRSickert; 11-25-2009, 03:33 PM.
        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

The Ripper did wear disguises. He had masks of Walter Sickert, James Maybrick, William Gull and one of a random jew, which he wore on the night of the Double Event. Very cunning man indeed.

Comment

Mascara, you bring up an interesting point.
            Sinthere were many Jews in the area, I wonder if JTR disguised himself as a Jew in order to throw the blame on them and keep himself safe. it could be an explanation for the graffito as well. If I was doing his thing, I would probably want to deflect suspicion on a target the police would be more laning towards anyway

Comment

Mascara, you bring up an interesting point.
              Since there were many Jews in the area, I wonder if JTR disguised himself as a Jew in order to throw the blame on them and keep himself safe. it could be an explanation for the graffito as well. If I was doing his thing, I would probably want to deflect suspicion on a target the police would be more laning towards anyway

Comment

sorry for accidentally posting message twice.

Comment

Hi Kensei,

but then the Ripper does seem to have been blessed with freak luck and perhaps felt confident with his knife to defend himself from any lesser comers.
                  If the killer escaped capture, and failed to arouse suspicion on the part of his victims, because of his ability to remain inconspicuous and blend into the crown, a change into an Astrakhan-man costume would strike me as an unnecessary departure from a strategy that was clearly working brilliantly already. Besdies which, it would have defeated the purpose of a disguise.

All the best,
                  Ben
                  Last edited by Ben; 11-25-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
                    Paranoia*, you bring up an interesting point.
                    Sinthere were many Jews in the area, I wonder if JTR disguised himself as a Jew in order to throw the blame on them and keep himself safe.
                    Maybe! Though I'm not sure how someone can disguise themselves as a jew; they look like me and you (damn, I ought to look into a career as a lyricist).

Comment

Working...
                    X