Edgar Allan Poe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edgar Allan Poe

Anyone have any theories as to how Edgar Allan Poe may have died?
    Just curious...
    Attached Files
    Cameron

This is one of my favourite mysteries. I love Edgar Allen Poe. He's one of my favourite writers and I really want to know what happened to him.

Did you do that portrait.It's wonderful

Comment

I was at a fascinating lecture yesterday by an American toxicoligist who put forward a very convincing case that Poe showed all the signs of extended carbon monoxide poisoning, possibly from working by gaslight in cities.

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

I feel sorry for Edgar Allen Poe. Apparently he was kicked by a number of elementary penguins. Bizarrely enough, they were singing 'Hare Krishna'.

Man, you should have seen them...

Goo-Goo Goo-Joob!

SORRY ALL. BACK TO THE ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING!

Comment

John

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
          I feel sorry for Edgar Allen Poe. Apparently he was kicked by a number of elementary penguins. Bizarrely enough, they were singing 'Hare Krishna'.

Man, you should have seen them...

Goo-Goo Goo-Joob!

SORRY ALL. BACK TO THE ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING!
          I worry about you sometimes!

Jen
          babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

rabies

Hello Cameron. A young intern who studied his case has conjectured that the cause of death was rabies. Apparently the result of contact with a wild animal.

The best.
            LC

Comment

Dear John Bennett,
              Maybe they were penguin's with rabies...I doubt that the penguin's were Hare Krishna's though. Possibly Primitive Southern Baptists...did you see any snakes in their ritual kicking?
              Cameron

Comment

I have never heard of carbon monoxide poisoning being a possible cause for Poe's death. Interesting...
                Cameron

Comment

I was never all that interested in Poe's work but, for a while there, it seemed that every town I visited on the US east coast boasted one of his former homes (New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore). The Baltimore house is interesting because it's so tiny, although apparently he lived there with four or five other family members. It's just a short walk from there to the churchyard where he is buried. You can even still go to the pub in Fells Point where he used to do his drinking---the name escapes me at the moment, but it's something cute.

Comment

i wonder if he was an early victim of M.E.

I know Florence Nightengale was a sufferer. My own tests have shown i have biochemical abnormalities which look like carbon monoxide poisoning...i wonder...

Cameron, i think your art is great. What was the impetus behind the merging of his face with an animal? Is it the possible rabies connection? Or a connection to the more bestial impulses of man? Or am i barking up the wrong tree?
                    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

But what about the missing week and why was he wearing somebody elses clothes

Comment

actually mr.Poe is one of my favorite author..there's a lot of theory that comes out on how he died like the cause of death is alcolism, a disease like diabetis, bi polar,rabies, epilepsy, syphillis, digestive disorder, and some other say that his a victim of cooping and murdered. No death certificate has ever been found for Poe and it is likely that one was never filed for him. Without one, there is no definitive answer to the question of how Edgar Allan Poe died. The day after he died Poe was buried in an unmarked grave in a Baltimore cemetery. His grave was finally marked in 1874.
                        website shopping cart

Comment

Hello seosecrets!

Let's not forget, that;

1. He was an alcoholic,

2. He was an opium addict,

So; maybe the same kind of reason for his death, that - for example - Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison etc. had½!

Welcome aboard, by the way!

All the best
                          Jukka
                          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                            Anyone have any theories as to how Edgar Allan Poe may have died?
                            Just curious...
                            Hello Cameron

A fine graphic of Poe as cat as author as feline.

I live in Baltimore and lead tours to the graveyard where Poe is buried and to other Poe sites as well.

Check out this article by Michael Fallon in Loch Raven Review, "Rediscovering Poe: the Mask and the Man".

The jury remains out on what exactly killed Poe. His body was probably weakened from years of drinking and exhaustion although it's not clear whether alcoholism killed him. The local story that he was taken round the voting polls and voted as a repeater is probably not true, although he was found in a dying condition outside one such poll, Ryan's Tavern on Lombard Street, where the 4th Ward polls were located. The fact that he was wearing clothes that were not his own is suspicious and might lead us to believe he was robbed. And yet his missing trunk was later recovered and is now in the Poe Museum in Richmond. Mystery upon mystery.

Chris

Poe statue by Sir Moses Ezekiel at the University of Baltimore
                            Christopher T. George
                            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Poe

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the compliment. I wasn't aware Poe's trunk was found. I've never been to the Poe Museum, but I will one day. What was in his trunk? Anything noteworthy?

Maybe it's fitting that his death is a mystery...
                              Cameron

Comment

Working...
                              X