• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cop the ripper? (a revived thread)

jukka ruskeeahde
    5th October 2007, 04:37 PM
    Hello you all!

Like I have told earlier, I first met this case in the 1970's. At the time, when they were chasing the Yorkshire Ripper and JtR was shortly mentioned in the articles.

At the time I made a conclusion, that Jack the Ripper must have been a copper!

However, I'm not convinced about that anymore. Still, I thought it to be worth a thread!

Any points for and against, dear fellow-members?

All the best
    Jukka
    John B
    5th October 2007, 05:31 PM
    In The Victorian Underworld - a 1970 Pelican paperback by Kellow Chesney, the author includes a brief glossary of underworld slang and terms. One of which is 'jack - a detective', expanded in greater length by Eric Partridge in his Dictionary of the Underworld.

So Jack the Ripper was a policeman after all.
    sreid
    5th October 2007, 05:44 PM
    If he was a copper, I doubt that he would have done it on duty and in uniform. It would explain why the women seemed to trust him, that is if he was a local policeman. There are other types who would also appear to be nonthreatening.

Stan
    Limehouse
    5th October 2007, 05:55 PM
    I think it is a theory worthy of further study. A policeman, if local, would have had a detailed knowledge of the streets and the police beats, making it easier for him to dodge the nearest man on duty.

In addition, if Jack was a policeman, he may have had more inside knowledge of the direction of the investigation and may have been able to influence that investigation in some small way.
    PerryMason
    5th October 2007, 08:19 PM
    Hi all,

Its still an interesting thought Jukka.

-Knowldege of Police beats and stations
    -Knowledge of local thoroughfares and alleys
    -Knowldege of where unfortunates worked at nights
    -Knowledge of processes and procedures used by police
    -Likely a fit man, physically strong
    -Uniform would ally fears of the women, and a regular beat in the area might extend that air of confidence in his presence even if plain clothed when he meets his victims.
    -May have knowldege of holds or grips used to incapacitate the villians
    -Would work odd hours
    -Would be aware of police measures used to capture him
    -Would know whether beats were left or right handed....important at Mitre Square perhaps
    -Could linger near murder scenes if in uniform when commiting the deeds, perhaps even preside over one
    -He might be seen near murder scenes by other cops, but not considered as the culprit as he is with the "good guys"

Theres a few good reasons to suspect the killer made the victims feel safe before he attacks, a uniform might be one of those ways he does that perhaps.

My best regards all.
    apwolf
    5th October 2007, 10:12 PM
    Er... the postulation is that a working prostitute would feel 'safe' if approached by a working policeman in his uniform?
    I'd respectfully suggest that a working Whitechapel prostitute of the Late Victorian Period would firstly brain said copper in uniform with an empty ginger beer bottle and then kick him in his truncheon sheath.
    PerryMason
    5th October 2007, 10:43 PM
    Er... the postulation is that a working prostitute would feel 'safe' if approached by a working policeman in his uniform?
    I'd respectfully suggest that a working Whitechapel prostitute of the Late Victorian Period would firstly brain said copper in uniform with an empty ginger beer bottle and then kick him in his truncheon sheath.

You are probably right in almost every circumstance AP, but by the Double Event, I think mistrust took a backseat to fear. The idea they had was that the police were never around when needed, but sure to be there if it means causing grief to the locals or supressing their rights, ....but at 3am around Oct 2nd, 1888... Ill bet they were even a welcome sight to a woman out on her own.

My best regards.
    mikey559
    6th October 2007, 08:53 AM
    From my own experience in Law Enforcement, there were always a couple of Cops that would bug the working girls for a freebie in exchange for "looking the other way"". It disgusted me and I know that the girls did NOT like to see a Cop coming, so I don't think there would be any kind of trust for them. On the other hand, a Cop would know the territory, would be familiar with the working girls and would know the other PC's timing. So, I will admit only that it could be a possibility, however, in my mind only a slight one.

Mikey
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Hello you all!

I thought to revive the discussion about a possible copper turned wrong!

Like I've told in the beginning of the post above, that was my conclusion in the 1970s, when I hastedly made friends for the first time with this case. He was mentioned in the Finnish press, when the Yorkshire Ripper was being chased.

I still find this possible, but I wouldn't bet on it!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi Jukka
      Great to see this thread revived!
      I have always held the thought- that never quite goes away- that the girls (victims) would not have entertained the thought of 'going' with anyone they didn't know/trust.

Now 'knowing' someone in whatever sense -would have made them feel safe in some sense-but a figure of authority seen around day after day aka a policeman,priest- [even to a refuse collector or a local horse slaughterer- seen from day to day would be seen as safe- especially if a regular or a neighbour]

'The Policeman' has never quite got out of my mind- To me-It seems an obvious - if unprovable (as yet) possibility

Suz x
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi Jukka
        Great to see this thread revived!
        I have always held the thought- that never quite goes away- that the girls (victims) would not have entertained the thought of 'going' with anyone they didn't know/trust.

Now 'knowing' someone in whatever sense -would have made them feel safe-ish!-But a figure of authority seen around day after day aka a policeman,priest basically anyone in uniform- except maybe soldiers and sailors who weren't treated in quite the way we see them today (Pearly Poll etc etc )-
        Even to a refuse collector or a local horse slaughterer- seen from day to day would be seen as safe- especially if a regular or a neighbour

'The Policeman' has never quite got out of my mind- To me-It seems an obvious - if (as yet) unproven possibility that is still worth a look- if we knew where to look!!

Suz x
        Last edited by Suzi; 01-17-2010, 04:17 PM.
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

A few random thoughts concerning PC Jack

Would a whitechapel prostitute feel safe with a policeman?

An allegation was made via letter claiming Sgt Thick or "johnny upright" to be the ripper

After the first few murders constables were drfted inot whitechapel form all over london in the confusion it may have been easy for JTR to masquerade as a policeman.

In 1893 PC George Samuel Cooke was sentanced to death for the murder of a prostitute

Comment

Ive often thought JTR was a policeman,one of the reasons being Eddowes was killed on City police territory,thereby we had two forces investigating the murders.This created confusion and perhaps a little competition.

Also a policeman would know the other polices beat times,and probably rest points etc.Hed be up to date on any new developments in the investigation too.

Ive often thought JTR wasnt that lucky each time and that he had some knowledge to not get caught

Comment

Here is another one Harry. If we say jack was cop, we need to ask in or out of uniform? If in uniform, then he would be an authority figure strolling about with blood on him with the very real possibility that someone might run up and say "I have a problem" and notice his condition. If not in uniform we are confronted with a functional mind that is killing, and the problem becomes why does he take suck jackass risks in venues and times? Respectfully Dave
              We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Hello all,

A policeman... hmmmm...possibly...but what about...

Someone impersonating a policeman?

Just thinking out loud...

best wishes

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                Accountability? ....

Comment

PC Edward Watkins

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Does anyone know the distance and walking time from Goulston St to Golden lane mortuary.

Also the time when it was first noticed a piece was missing from the apron.

Finally the beat that Pc Long was on that night

I would sugggest as i have done before that the apron piece was not taken and used by the killer. And my other theory being rejected. Then Pc Long has to come under scrutiny no for the killing but for other reasons.

Remeber Dc halse stated he was in the area at around 2.20 am but he never saw Pc Long.

It is a fact that Eddowes body was left outside the mortuary. What if Pc Long wanted to gain some recognition with his superiors in this murder. Could he have gone to the mortuary and cut it from the apron piece and then said he had found it at Goulston St. ? Food for thought, because its for sure as it has been identified as coming from Edowes apron someone cut/tore it off.

"The Truth is out there"

Comment

The copper-as-Jack theory has always had a certain appeal. He could approach the victims with a: "Allo-allo-allo, what are yer doin' out at this time o'night, my girl? Since Jack's about, I'd better see yer safely 'ome" sort of thing. Were he found nearby with blood on his uniform, he could say that he had just discovered the body.

It works well and has been used in a couple of novels. The difficulty comes with the murders being committed on so many different beats. He could explain being on his own patch, but not someone else's.

Comment

Trevor,

I suspect youre joshing right?

You must be.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Quite possible except for the fact that according to the City Police's inventory of Eddowes' clothing she wasn't wearing an apron. Check it out in the Ultimate JtR Companion.

The Times, October 1st 1888—

"She [Eddowes] wore a pair of men's laced-boots; and a piece of old white coarse apron and a piece of riband were tied loosely around the neck."

INQUEST REPORTS, FILED WITH THE CORPORATION OF LONDON RECORDS OFFICE—

[Inspector Collard (City)] "I produce a portion of the apron which deceased was apparently wearing which had been cut through and was found outside her dress."

You cannot "apparently" wear an apron. You either do or you don't.

Regards,

Simon
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Poland View Post
                            Would a whitechapel prostitute feel safe with a policeman?

An allegation was made via letter claiming Sgt Thick or "johnny upright" to be the ripper
                            Hi Harry Poland,

It has also been suggested that the murderer was disguised as a policeman (letter sent to the City Police, 2 October 1888).

Others have accused PC Watkins (15 October) or even a police officer (5 October).

Amitiés,
                            David

Comment

This is getting silly now calm down.

Eddowes had a piece of her apron piece cut or torn off "fact"

That piece according to Pc Long was found in Goulston st "fact"

I am merely offering another possible explanation regarding the apron piece.

There are many reported cases of misconduct by police officers on duty.

But of course if you are one of those who does beleives the killer left the apron piece than of course you will reject the idea. Bu as i said someone cut or tore it off. I merely raised it for it to be discussed if anyone feels inclined.

Its no more of a wild theory than the killer cuting it off to take away the organs in or to wipe his hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X