The Victims of Jack the Ripper by Neal Stubbings Shelden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Victims of Jack the Ripper by Neal Stubbings Shelden

The Victims of Jack the Ripper focuses on the five women murdered by the infamous London serial killer. The book explores their lives and not just their deaths, leading to a fuller understanding of them as individuals. The author is the first to have contacted the descendants of these women to learn information that previously was only known to their families. Neal Stubbings Shelden is known in the field of Ripperology as an expert on this topic, having produced several limited edition booklets that have long been sought after by collectors. This highly anticipated volume combines twenty one years of research into one book and includes his most recent findings along with more than forty pages of photographs.

I have come into contact with this information whilst browsing, rather lazily, across the site famously known as "Amazon". I wasn't expecting to find what I did, and I was skeptical of the title at first---I assume that, while this may be a good addition to anyone interested in the Ripper case, it will not be showing any new information.

However, what I find intriguing is that this book claims to be aiming at trying to paint these women in a more humane light, portraying them not as those black-and-white victims that define the horrors of Whitechapel during the late 19th century. The author apparently interview relations of the family and stories based down. Whether this is credible evidence or not it is at least worth the try. His research apparently turned up interesting family stories as well as one bit of sad irony: when Catharine Eddowes' cousin was hanged for murder in 1866, she profited from the tragedy by selling a gallows ballad about the crime to the crowd in attendance.

Thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated, thank you.

I enjoyed the book a great deal.
    Regards Mike

Comment

I love this book! Incredible how so much information is packed into such a thin little volume. The ladies deserved to be humanized in this way after so many years of being nothing but names, generic prostitutes and gruesome post-mortem photographs. They all began as innocent children as we all do and lived real lives that led them to the way they ended up. Polly Nicholls and Catherine Eddowes are buried near each other in the City of London Cemetery and if I'm not mistaken their markers once bore the inscription "Victim of Jack the Ripper." When I visited there last year I was glad to see that had been changed. I thought, what an outrage to live a life with over 40 years worth of experiences and then have it all summed up on your grave with those words, as if being murdered was the only important thing you'd ever done. Shelden's book changes that dark epitath.

I especially like the section on Catherine Eddowes, who has the most descendants and about whom the most information seems to exist. That some of her descendants had no idea their ancestor was a Ripper victim until contacted by Shelden is amazing. We all know the only pictures of Catherine's face are the horrible mutilated ones, but I always had the impression that in life she would have looked like a woman who was quite attractive in her younger days. I think this is confirmed in the various photos of her descendants, and seeing the "Eddowes face"- especially in her great granddaughter Catherine Sarah Hall on pages 87 & 88- was fascinating. For that era, I have to say- Kate, I think you were probably quite a looker.

It's sad that Annie Chapman is the only victim of whom there is a picture of her alive (an 1869 portrait of her and her husband on page 77, also used for the book's cover), and sadder still that so very little is known for a fact about the Ripper's most famous victim Mary Jane Kelly. After a book crammed with so much documented information, Kelly's brief little chapter (only 5 pages) really drives home the pathos of her life and death. For a much more dogged attempt at tracking down who she was, I reccomend the book "Will the Real Mary Kelly...?" by Christopher Scott as a companion piece to Shelden's. It still fails to come up with definite answers but raises many intriguing points.

Elizabeth Stride's chapter is also only 5 pages in length, but more verifiable information is known about her.
      Last edited by kensei; 10-06-2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

AuroraSarintacos,

You may be interested that Ripperologist 96 (October 2008) has an article "Kate's Folks" in which Neal interviews two more descendants of Kate, her great-great-great-grandaughter Jean Smith and her great-great-great-great-grandaughter Tracey Marks.

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Neal is, without doubt, the world's authority on the lives of the victims and he personally knows many of the relatives. This isn't any old Joe spinning a yarn - get this one!

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

This isn't any old Joe spinning a yarn - get this one!

And if you do buy it make sure you get it directly from Neal as there have been problems with him getting royalty payments from the publisher. And, he'll make a nice personal inscription as well, I'm sure.
            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Ah, I see. Well, thank you for all of your insight and such.

Comment

Probably a long shot but I've been looking for this book for a while, any idea of where I can get one? I got the eddowes and chapman books through email, is the victims book available the same way? Thanks in advance!

Comment

You shoulda come to the York conference, as copies were being sold there.

I shall let Neal know you are interested.

Cheers
                  Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Sorry we have no copies left - we sold the last at York.

Mrs Shelden (lol)
                    “be just and fear not”

Comment

Monty:
                      If only! I live in Los Angeles and am a college student so I don't have the money to get there. On a side note, do you know if there is a DVD to buy of the York or any other conference? (Sorry this is off topic, you can message me if its more appropriate)

Jenni:
                      Thanks for the info, too bad I missed them, hopefully one day I'll (and anyone else wanting one) get a copy!

Comment

I tell him he needs a second edition, but men dont listen to their wives
                        jenni
                        “be just and fear not”

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Shelden View Post
                          I tell him he needs a second edition, but men dont listen to their wives
                          jenni
                          I do.

Shhh...she's right here. Just nod.

Whew...that was close.

Comment

Mrs. Shelden,

Since Neal still seems to "own" the subject, a rigorous editing (which the original publisher neglected) and folding in the new material that has come to light (admittedly not much) and you ought have a winner.

Don.

Comment

I too, want this book, another run would be warmly welcomed!

-----> £173.62 on Amazon Marketplace...

Comment

Working...
                              X