JTR Killer Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR Killer Revealed

In late 1888 Jack the Ripper launched his infamous reign of terror on the streets of London’s East End, murdering at least five women and leaving their corpses hideously mutilated. To this day the case remains one of history’s greatest mysteries: a seemingly motiveless crime, unmatched in brutality, with a gallery of suspects, including a member of the British royal family.

Now historian Mei Trow is poised to rock the world of Ripperology with a powerful new theory about the killer’s identity - the result of two years of exhaustive research. Pairing the hi-tech investigative techniques of his predecessors with good old-fashioned detective work on the ground, Trow returns to the streets of Whitechapel to track down clues vital to his theory, delving deep into Victorian public records and narrowing down the area where his suspect lived, worked and stalked his prey.

UK Premiere One-Off, Sunday 11th October, 9.00pm Discovery Channel.
    Regards Mike

And an associated book:

Product Description
    For a hundred and twenty years, the identity of the Whitechapel murderer known to us as Jack the Ripper has both eluded us and spawned a veritable industry of speculation. This book names him. Mad doctors, Russian lunatics, bungling midwives, railway policemen, failed barristers, weird artists, royal princes and white-eyed men. All of these and more have been put in the frame for the Whitechapel murders. Where ingenious invention and conspiracy theories have failed, common sense has floated out of the window. M.J. Trow, in this gripping historical reinvestigation, cuts through the fog of speculation, fantasy and obsession that has concealed the identity of the most famous serial murderer of all time. He profiles a previously unknown suspect and provides a new motive for the killings and he also proves that the Ripper killed seven women not five. The book is published to accompany a major TV documentary and will change the course of Jack the Ripper history forever.

About the Author
    M.J. Trow has written highly praised historical biographies as well as studies of true crime. He is also a very successful novelist. Among his recent publications are lives of Boudicca, Vlad the Impaler, Kit Marlowe, the hero of the Charge of the Light Brigade, Captain William Morris, War Crimes: Underworld Britain in the Second World War and Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths in the Isle of Wight. He has produced several best-selling accounts of criminal cases, in particular volumes on Derek Bentley, the Wigwam murder and Jack the Ripper. But he is perhaps best known for his many novels which include the Lestrade and Maxwell series.

Comment

If he's too modest to say it himself, I will.

Our own John Bennett is in this quite a bit.

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
        If he's too modest to say it himself, I will.

Our own John Bennett is in this quite a bit.
        ... he's not the "previously unknown suspect", I hope!
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          ... he's not the "previously unknown suspect", I hope!
          Lumme. You got me bang to rights, copper.

Comment

You're nicked my son........

I thought he looked familiar!!! Gee without your glasses....................
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

I wonder if we'll be able to see the TV documentary over here in Canada? I hope eventually.

Comment

I don't have discovery, can we get it on DVD?

Comment

Can someone put those of us without Discovery out of our misery and tell us who her suspect is?

Comment

These programs are always rather cheekily recorded and added on youtube days later so I wouldn't worry too much.
                    Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GordonH View Post
                      The book is published to accompany a major TV documentary and will change the course of Jack the Ripper history forever.
                      Didn't the last book/tv show make the same claims!
                      Regards Mike

Comment

It Won't

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                        Didn't the last book/tv show make the same claims!
                        Believe me - it won't.
                        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

just what the world needs. another jtr suspect

am i alone in expecting to be totally underwhelmed, again?

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                          Trow returns to the streets of Whitechapel to track down clues vital to his theory
                          [giggle] reckon they've all been swept away by now mate
                          Last edited by larue; 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM.
                          atb

larue

Comment

Wonder if they find the wine glass full of blood that was left at the scene.
                            Regards Mike

Comment

Here is an article regarding the show with a little more info on it. It appears the new suspect is a morgue attendant named Robert Mann. Never heard of him before although he may have been mentioned in some books but not as a suspect.

Here ya' go....

"New Jack the Ripper suspect was mortuary attendant who killed two more
                              women"

By Graham Smith
                              Last updated at 6:36 PM on 05th October 2009

An historian claims to have uncovered the identity of Jack the Ripper by
                              using modern police forensic techniques.

Mei Trow also believes that the notorious Whitechapel murderer was
                              responsible for the deaths of an additional two women.

He has concluded that Robert Mann, a local morgue attendant, was the killer
                              who terrorised east London in 1888 and who was officially credited with
                              dismembering five prostitutes.

Mr Trow's theory is based on two years of intensive research during which he
                              used forensic techniques including psychological and geographical profiling.

The beginnings of Mr Trow's investigation are rooted in 1988, when a US
                              Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) examination of the Ripper case worked
                              up a comprehensive criminal personality profile using standard agency
                              procedures.

The FBI profile of the Ripper concluded that the killer was a white male
                              from the lower social classes, was probably from a broken home, had a menial
                              job such as a butcher or medical examiner's assistant, and because of
                              prolonged periods without human interaction, was socially inept.

Mr Trow said: 'I wanted to go beyond the myth of a caped man with a top hat
                              and knife, and get to the reality, and the reality is simply that Jack was
                              an ordinary man.'

He also believes that Martha Tabram, found with 39 stab wounds to her body
                              in Gunthorpe Street, was the first Ripper victims, and that Alice Mackenzie,
                              brutally murdered eight months after the confirmed five killings, was his
                              last.

The two women, along with confirmed victims, would have been delivered to
                              the Whitechapel mortuary in which Mann worked.

After the killing of Polly Nichols, the Ripper's first official victim, Mann
                              unlocked the mortuary for the police so they could examine the body and as
                              such, was called as a witness in her inquest to help establish the cause of
                              death.

Most damningly, he undressed Polly's body with his assistant, despite being
                              under strict instructions from police to not touch the body. Mr Trow
                              suspects this was an opportunity for Mann to admire his handiwork.

The coroner, in his summation of Mann's testimony concluded that, 'It
                              appears the mortuary keeper is subject to fits, and neither his memory nor
                              statements are reliable.'

A local of impoverished Whitechapel, Mann was from an extremely deprived
                              background, his father having been absent for much of his upbringing.

In addition, he tasted the ultimate Victorian humiliation of being an inmate
                              in the workhouse, which all citizens regarded as a hellish place to where
                              the lowest strata of society who were unable to support themselves were
                              relegated.

Professor Laurence Alison, forensic psychologist at Liverpool University,
                              said: 'In terms of psychological profiling, Robert Mann is the one of the
                              most credible suspects from recent years and the closest we may ever get to
                              a plausible psychological explanation for these most infamous of Victorian
                              murders.'

Mr Trow's theory forms the basis of the documentary Jack the Ripper: Killer
                              Revealed, which airs on Discovery Channel this Sunday and in the Jack the
                              Ripper: Quest for a Killer.

Comment

Working...
                              X