Sven Olsson back in Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sven Olsson back in Sweden

Sven Olsson, the cantor at the Swedish church in Prince´s Square and a witness at the coroner inqiury and who knew Elizabeth Stride, went back to Sweden 1898 and settled together with three of his daughters not in Glimåkra, where he was born but in the village of Osby in the same area.
    He died the 7th of June 1932. The attached obituary notice was published in the local newspaper, Norra Skåne in 1932.
    A translation:
    HT Norra Skåne Thursday 9th of June 1932.
    Deaths
    ”Sven Olsson. On Tuesday in his home in Osby former cantor Sven Olssson passed away nearly 91 years old. He had lived in Osby around 30 years and before that he was the cantor in the Swedish congregation in London. Sven Olsson was a kind, right-thinking and non-profit man. Among things he was interested in the breeding of youths and this interest he showed, as told, in an eccentric manner, going to local book auctions in the village, buying every book he thought improper for youths. He brought the books home and burnt them.
    The deceased is mourned closests by his wife in second marriage and three daughters.”

Also attached is the image of the house in Osby where he lived after coming back to Sweden.
    The Yearbook of Osby Local History Society 1967. (translated from Swedish)
    Page 9. Arthur Newman remembers the village of Osby around 1907.
    ”Going north from Wiezells corner there was during those days a narrowed well-kept garden. Here was also a small house. On the gateposts had the house owner, the former cantor in a London congregation, Olsson, painted ”The Calm cottage” (in english!). Here it was calm and peacefull compared to the busy big city.”
    Attached Files

Great first post, Tomgus - very interesting indeed. Thanks, and welcome to Casebook
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Indeed, thank you, Tomgus. You've added to our collective knowledge. Thanks very much, and please hang around.

Comment

Thanks for nice comments! Beeing a keen reader of The Casebook for several years and interesting in the history of London (I've got a webbsite in Swedish about this: www.mindthegap.se) I finally found something to post. Hope to find more as beeing specially interested in the area around the old and former Swedish Church and the congregation there in Prince´s Square, St George´s-in- the-east.
        Again thanks for comments!

Comment

Even though my knowledge of Swedish is nil, I like your website a lot, Tom. You've obviously put a lot of thought into it, and it shows. I particularly like your URL. (Partially related point: Does anyone know the name of the, I assume, actress, who announces the names of the stops on the Central Line? I love that voice.)

Comment

Hi Grave. Thanks again. The site needs some technical uppdates that I will do when I caught up time, haha. There is another site of mine in Swedish (hmmm) about my second big interest, www.englishgarden.se.
            I think the voice in the underground maybee actress Emma Clarke.

Comment

You're absolutely right about Emma Clarke.
              Here's her website: http://www.emmaclarke.com/
              Thanks.

Comment

Prince´s Square

Two more pictures according to Sven Olsson. They are from a book called, ”Londonsvenskarnas kyrka” (The Church of the Londonswedes) by Sven Evander and was published in 1960. I don’t know how rare these are but the first is the Swedish Church, called Ulrika Eleonora in Prince’s Square. Sven Olsson worked there from 1871 to 1898 and it’s highly possible that Elizabeth Stride went there now and then asking for aid. It was emptied and left by the Swedish congregation in 1911 when a new Swedish church had been builth in Harcourt Street. The empty old church, after some time vandalized, was finally demolished in 1921.

The other picture is from Prince´s Square saying, ”The house on the left is the reading room and living facilities for the cantor in Prince´s Square.” No mentions of the age of the photo but the car in the right tells maybee something. Prince´s Square survived the Blitz but was demolished in the 1960´s.
                Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to Casebook!

Originally posted by Tomgus View Post
                  Thanks for nice comments! Beeing a keen reader of The Casebook for several years and interesting in the history of London (I've got a webbsite in Swedish about this: www.mindthegap.se) I finally found something to post. Hope to find more as beeing specially interested in the area around the old and former Swedish Church and the congregation there in Prince´s Square, St George´s-in- the-east.
                  Again thanks for comments!
                  Hej Tomgus!
                  First of all, a very warm welcome to Casebook from an English 'gumme' living in Sweden. Your post relating to Elizabeth Stride is really interesting. I've just had a quickish look at your website relating to London and am very impressed with both the layout and all the information it contains (although I'll need more time to read everything!). I read the newspaper interview with regard to your book about London pubs and now have a mental picture of you staggering about London from pub to pub, strictly in the cause of investigative purposes, of course!
                  Ta hand om dig!
                  Carol

Comment

Hahaha Carol a good one about the pubcrawl You'll have to choose your interests !!!
                    Thanks so much for your nice words about my site and if you´ll mail me your adress I'll send you a pub-book for free!!!
                    Have you got any speciall interests in the JTR-case?
                    I'm looking much forward going to London in October visiting my first ever JTR-conference.
                    Again thanks och ha det så bra!!!

Comment

A close up of an inscription on the font that is all that remains of the Swedish Church that Elizabeth Stride frequented.
                      Attached Files

Comment

And another view of it looking west.
                        Attached Files

Comment

one thing, it was said that elizabeth stride new members of the swedish community (pretty obvious since she used to go to the swedish church to ask for financial help), i London and probably had family members there. i've spent about 4 years in Bohuslan myself and i know they are called the same and it can make it really tricky to actually get the right svensson, but don't we have any records of the families of those people? or from the following generations of the people who were handling the svenska kyrka back then?

Comment

Working...
                          X