how tall was hutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how tall was hutch?

I realize i am in a rut about heights right now, please bear with me. Hutch's statement relates that he "stooped" to see the facial features of a man he describes as 5'6. I consider a stoop as something that lowers ones head considerably, s this might make hutch quite tall. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Hi Dave,

The account states that "the man hung down his head with his hat over his eyes" which meant that Hutchinson would have been forced to stoop if he wanted to see the man's face, even if he was of a similar height to the Astrakhan man. If Hutchinson was the man seen by Lewis, as appears likely, then he was "not tall" but stout.

Best regards,
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
      Hi Dave,

The account states that "the man hung down his head with his hat over his eyes" which meant that Hutchinson would have been forced to stoop if he wanted to see the man's face, even if he was of a similar height to the Astrakhan man. If Hutchinson was the man seen by Lewis, as appears likely, then he was "not tall" but stout.

Best regards,
      Ben
      thank you. Respectfully Dave

Comment

Lewis saw the man only fleetingly in the shadows, Ben, so I wouldn't place too much confidence in her description of his being "stout", whether he was Hutchinson, someone else, or a product of Lewis's seemingly fertile mind. The bottom line is that we have no idea how tall Hutchinson was at the time.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          Lewis saw the man only fleetingly in the shadows, Ben, so I wouldn't place too much confidence in her description of his being "stout", whether he was Hutchinson, someone else, or a product of Lewis's seemingly fertile mind. The bottom line is that we have no idea how tall Hutchinson was at the time.
          ....but he sure knew how to tell tall tales.

drums-cymbal

I just used a Sam Flynn post to attempt a pun.....what irony.

Cheers G

Comment

Hi Gareth,

Lewis saw the man only fleetingly in the shadows, Ben, so I wouldn't place too much confidence in her description of his being "stout"
            You've spotted that it wouldn't tally terribly well with the Ripper and the Royals image, then?

All joking aside, we have no evidence either way as to how "fleeting" the sighting was, but I see no compelling reason to doubt the "not tall but stout" observation given her proximity to the man. For reasons discussed elsewhere, it would be an odd and unlikely coincidence if Hutchinson wasn't the man Lewis saw.

Best regards,
            Ben

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
              thank you. Respectfully Dave
              I thank all of you for responding, it has helped me greatly. Respectfully Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                You've spotted that it wouldn't tally terribly well with the Ripper and the Royals image, then?
                The photograph in TR&R was that of an old man, Ben - I have no idea what he looked like half a lifetime previously. Besides, that has nothing to do with what I said apropos Lewis's description and (although you were joking, I know) I should point out to others that I wasn't twisting the evidence based on any preconception. All I stated was that Lewis only glimpsed her man in the dark, and on that basis we should not afford her description too much weight, and I believe that was a fair point to make. (The fact that Lewis's testimony seems to get more elaborate over time is another - again, I think, very good - reason to treat what she said generally with extreme caution.)
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

All I stated was that Lewis only glimpsed her man in the dark, and on that basis we should not afford her description too much weight, and I believe that was a fair point to make.
                  It's a fair observation, Gareth, but I think we can allow her "not tall" and "stout" given the generalized nature of the observations and the fact that she was unlikely to have been significantly awry in her estimations. We have no idea of the length of time she observed the man. Remember that some are prepared to swallow horseshoe-tie pins, white buttons over button boots and dark eyelashes!

All the best,
                  Ben

Comment

I think its fair to say that Sarah saw a man shape wearing a hat....I dont know that she claimed any real details in any reports, but thats all I would expect she could see of him.

I think the ONLY way that might be Hutchinson is if he owned a Wideawake Hat. You would think to validate his claim he might have brought the hat he wore that night with him Monday night...assuming he knew about the story from Sarah before that...which I believe is very probable.

Cheers mates.

Comment

You would think to validate his claim he might have brought the hat he wore that night with him Monday night
                      He may have done for all we know, Mike. It may be worth noting that one of the sketches of Hutchinson depicted him wearing a billycock/wideawake hat! In addition to his headgear, I don't see why she could not have garnered a general impression of his height and weight.

Best regards,
                      Ben

Comment

Working...
                      X