Ten Bells photos 1888 - 1970

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Bells photos 1888 - 1970

Were any photographs taken of the Ten Bells (inside or out) between the dates of 1888 and 1970?

Hi Ken
    Have a look at the East End Pictures thread. I am sure that there are some on there.
    In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Hi Kat

The first thing i did was look in that section and could only find a couple of photo's of Christ Church were you can see a glimpse of a corner of the Ten Bells, apart from that, there seems to be no photographs taken of the pub itself between the time of the murders and when it changed it's name to 'Jack the Ripper'

Comment

Ken,

Photographs of the Ten Bells from the period you mention seem few and far between and most tend to be images of Commercial Street or Christchurch that just happen to have the pub in the background or to one side.

Numerous photos were taken in the early 1970s (I think they're on the East End photo thread) and thereafter when it became the 'Jack the Ripper'. Here's one from 1972 in its standard Truman's 'livery' of the time:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	TenBells 1972.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	657436

Photographing the pub seems to have become a bit of a phenomenon from the 1990s onwards, perhaps as a bye-product of increasing tourism.

Comment

hey thanks for that John, I've never seen that one before. I will continue this search as i am sure i will uncover something.

I wonder which particular 'research' materials led the set designers working on 'From Hell' to conclude the pub would have been painted red with an open interior?

Comment

Working...
          X