X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Day to Celebrate

Hello everyone,

GREETINGS!

Believe it or not, it is once again July 14th at 7:58 am.

It is staggering to think that another full year has passed us by.

For those of you who don’t remember the beginning of it all, you should know that FIVE YEARS AGO, on Wednesday July 14th, 2004 at 7:58 am, the first annual DITA Day was born.

Of course this was a full year after July 14th, 2003, when the words that gave DITA Day its reason for being first appeared here at the Casebook. That was SIX years ago today.

Who would have guessed that a full six years later, we’d still be here and the situation would still be exactly the same?

And so, in the name of what now actually qualifies as nostalgia, here again, in all its celebratory glory, is an excerpt from the first official DITA day post from five years ago.

Originally posted Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 7:58 am

Welcome everyone, to one of Diary World's special celebrations!

We are especially delighted that you could join us here for the

First Annual International Day of Diary Testing Awareness

Diary Testing Awareness Day, or DiTA Day as we like to call it here, is a simple thing, really. It's a joyous celebration of everything that is the crazy, topsy-turvy, high-speed world of Maybrick Diary Investigations.

Now, I know what you are asking. Why today, of all days? Why now?

Well, I'll tell you.

You see, exactly one year ago, at exactly this moment, I was right here on the boards, engaged in on ongoing discussion with a poster still among us about getting the Maybrick Diary thoroughly and properly retested by a reputable scientific lab.

And, just in passing, almost as a side note, on that day, at this time, I wrote these words -- the founding words of DiTA Day.

Here's a small suggestion. Today is the 14th of July. Let's agree to meet here around the middle of every month, from now on, and see if the diary has been thoroughly and properly re-tested by a reputable scientific organization.

After all the talk, after all the discussions and arguments and pushing and resistance and all the rest, only one thing matters. Will this document, one that is clearly suspicious and whose origins remain an unsettled question, be re-examined by professionals in a laboratory setting in order to discover whatever is possible about it in an objective fashion? Each month, we can stop by here for a moment and see what the answer is to that question.

Now, it quickly became apparent that stopping by on the 14th of every month was, shall we say, a bit too optimistic of a suggestion.

So I decided to wait a full year. That's right. I figured I'd let the first twelve months of visits go by and then start our little tradition of gathering each month to see what had actually happened.

And now, a full three hundred and sixty five (or was it sixty-six) days later, here I am. Here we all are. Just checking in.

And here in Diary World, where our motto ("Nothing new, Nothing real") bespeaks our history, we have now established DiTA Day, where on July 14th of every year, good and true men and women shall gather in the spirit of circular craziness that is our wont and take a moment to see if any new test results are to be read and discussed and then share a friendly drink or twelve.

DiTA day, incidentally, is proudly sponsored by Guinness. Guinness -- Now you can drink it right from the bottle. -- "Brilliant!"

Once every year, on July 14, we'll all put down our keyboards and our anger and our frustration and our dreams and hopes and desires and join together in the holiday spirit and remember what has brought us all into each other's lives -- Diary World, and the childlike spirit of its founder Mike Barrett, who asks us to remember, in the mode of Uncle Walt, "It all started with a drink."

And so that's how we should celebrate.

Here at Diary World we love all you people. Honestly, we do. Even those with whom we fight and argue, even those we don't love, we really love. Our lives would be just a bit emptier without you.

And so we ask you to take this one special day each year and join us in celebrating the spirit of our World. Where, even if, month after month or year after year, there turns out to be "nothing new, nothing real," we can still come together and celebrate that very nothingness in a happy and joyous way.

Throughout the day, special performances will be happening all across Diary World. There'll be dramatic readings and re-enactments, and music and food and rink specials and discounted admission prices and just generally a load of fun for the whole family.

So, you are urged to celebrate wherever you are, too.

Go to your local pub and toast the coming year of Diary World activity. Because here we will have no talk about the past. We are only interested in the future, about all the good stuff that is (or isn't) going to happen in the next twelve months.

Gather your friends together and share a beer or seventeen over some of the diary's wonderful and scary words, or read Crashaw together by candlelight, or browse police evidence lists, or just leave your initials on something. Put on your "tin match box empty... now where have I seen that before?" t-shirts and your Diary World mouse ears and head off to the races and pretend to get into a jealous rage over your wife. All in the spirit of good fun, of course.

But most of all, share the love and warmth and the congenial spirit that is and always has been at the heart of Diary World.

Because here at the World, we may be mean to each other now and then (like our founding fathers, James and Mike), but that doesn't mean we don't love you.

So welcome again, everyone, to DiTA Day! We wish you all the happiest of days.

And so, I would like to officially open these first annual DiTA Day festivities with the very first DiTA Day report. I do so in a new spirit of optimism, a new spirit of belief in the future, and new anticipation for the months and years ahead.

Ladies and gentleman, the 2004 DiTA day is now officially underway.

Our first report:

"Nothing new, nothing real."

--John

And since that time, of course, we have been delighted on subsequent DITA Days by the presence of the official Diary World mascot, that walking symbol of pure Imagination – Figment!

So he too is here once again to wish you all the happiest of days and to remind you and Diary Worlders everywhere that there is still, after all these many years spent waiting for the thorough and rigorous testing of both of these suspicious artefacts using the latest available technologies to take place…

Nothing new and nothing real.

Let the celebrations commence!

--John

PS: It is of course now more than two full years since we were all told that there was super secret squirrel evidence that, if people were allowed to see it, would prove to a jury that the diary came out of the real James Maybrick’s house. Maybe. Then again, here’s the way those remarks were chacterized by another eminent Ripper author recently on another site:

“As for Keith, my memory of what he said at Liverpool was simply that if someone in the future was to see information in his files then they would conclude that the diary came out of Battlecrease House. He did not say that the diary did come out of Battlecrease, or that he thought it came out of Battlecrease or that the guy in the future would be correct in concluding that the diary came out of Battlecrease. As far as I am aware there is no immediate on-going research into the diary.”

So that certainly clarifies that. At least it does in typical Diary World fashion.

See you next year.

Happy DITA day John :-) It's good to seeya buddy.

Comment

As I have already mentioned several times before, I am not holding a masters degree yet in Maybrick , or the ripper, but am learning.
      I am intrigued by this diary argument, and I know there are a few other's here, like myself, who do not believe everything is as 'Definately Ascertained' as others would make this out to be. We dont have any clear answers yet.

To cut to the chase.I am interested in the possibility of maybe getting some clear, or clearer answers. I am a successful businessman, and fingers crossed, I am hoping to make some astronomical amounts of money soon.
      Let us suppose I wanted to falk out some money, my question is this?
      What?, and where?, would be the the absolute zenith of technology avalable in the world today to get it tested. Could there be anywhere on the planet that could give us a decisive answer now?

Thanks, Q.
      Last edited by quasar; 07-18-2009, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Mr Omlor!

As I live and breathe! Good to hear from you again - and I mean that most sincerely. Takes me back to the good old days....it's a matter of time before Caz picks up your post, I guess, and then - well, who knows?

Quasar,

Nice idea, but I think it would be down to the owner of the Diary (presumably still Robert Smith, but I stand to be corrected on this) to agree to any such definitive tests as you very rationally suggest.

Cheers,

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham

Long time no see aer kid

As far as I'm aware Robert Smith still owns the Maybrick Diary... as of a year ago anyways.

Comment

John - i cant believe i missed Dita day! Belated (very) greetings ! I like you!!

i feel like i missed Xmas

no toys for me!

Jenni
            “be just and fear not”

Comment

John,

It is good to see you and Figment bsck on the boards. A Happy DiTA Day to all, however belatedly!

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hello everyone,

Believe it or not, it is once again July 14th, coming up on 7:58 am.

Normally at this time, I would be sending another silly DiTA day update post. If you are reading this and don't know what that means, simply go to the first post in this thread. There, you can change phrase "FIVE YEARS AGO" to "SIX YEARS AGO" and the phrase "SIX years ago" (when this all actually started) to "SEVEN."

The rest of that post explains everything.

But I won't be sending these anymore after this one. And this one will be a bit different.

I haven't been keeping up with the conversations here, so I don't know if there is anything really new or not. And I'm not that interested. although I am still confident that the diary will eventually turn out to be a 20th century hoax.

But I did want to post here and offer one thought.

Last September I was diagnosed with Stage 3 malignant melanoma. After a couple of surgeries, including one to remove all the lymph nodes from under my left arm, and some excellent treatment at a place called the Moffitt Cancer Center here in Tampa, I am now what they call NED (No Evidence of Disease). I am still being scanned regularly, of course, but all is well for me.

Obviously, this experience put a lot of things in perspective for me. So, I wanted to send my one yearly post this year just to tell everyone that here on these boards (and elsewhere in life) they should relax a bit when things get ugly and remember to be decent to one another and treat each other with some care whenever possible. Lord knows, I was not the shining example of that when I was here regularly. But I wanted to offer the sentiment anyway. Have your fun, even your "mean" fun if it's all just playing. But remember there are real humans on the other side of that screen and keyboard.

Have a great DiTA day. I'll check back once in a while to see if anything ever happens with the diary, but now I'm off to live the rest of my life.

All the best to everyone,

--John

Comment

Hi John,

Happy DiTA day. We've missed you and Figment around these parts (even though you fell right on out with me, I've still missed you). It seems none of us old guard are hanging around diary world much any more (leave it to newbies!!)

i'm genuinely very sorry indeed to hear that you have been unwell, and send positive vibes your way. Also, extremely glad to read that you are on the mend and things are looking up.

You never know, one day there might be something new here (possibly).

Here's to hoping you drop by these parts again soon.

I'd like to think James Maybrick might have put in a good word for you with the big man (but then again, Im not sure i believe in all of that, but i hope you take this with the sentiment in which it was meant)

Bestest

Jenni
                  Last edited by Jenni Shelden; 07-14-2010, 06:31 PM.
                  “be just and fear not”

Comment

John,

Good to hear from you again and even better was to hear that your health problems seem now but bad memory. Keep it NED! I do, however, miss Figment.

Anyway, the best and do drop by from time to time--we miss your literacy.

Don.
                    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by Omlor View Post
                      I haven't been keeping up with the conversations here, so I don't know if there is anything really new or not.
                      I haven't really been keeping up with the diary discussions either, but I'm not aware of anything new.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, but I do hope all will go well and that you'll continue to be NED in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Omlor View Post
                        Hello everyone,

Believe it or not, it is once again July 14th, coming up on 7:58 am.

Normally at this time, I would be sending another silly DiTA day update post. If you are reading this and don't know what that means, simply go to the first post in this thread. There, you can change phrase "FIVE YEARS AGO" to "SIX YEARS AGO" and the phrase "SIX years ago" (when this all actually started) to "SEVEN."

The rest of that post explains everything.

But I won't be sending these anymore after this one. And this one will be a bit different.

I haven't been keeping up with the conversations here, so I don't know if there is anything really new or not. And I'm not that interested. although I am still confident that the diary will eventually turn out to be a 20th century hoax.

But I did want to post here and offer one thought.

Last September I was diagnosed with Stage 3 malignant melanoma. After a couple of surgeries, including one to remove all the lymph nodes from under my left arm, and some excellent treatment at a place called the Moffitt Cancer Center here in Tampa, I am now what they call NED (No Evidence of Disease). I am still being scanned regularly, of course, but all is well for me.

Obviously, this experience put a lot of things in perspective for me. So, I wanted to send my one yearly post this year just to tell everyone that here on these boards (and elsewhere in life) they should relax a bit when things get ugly and remember to be decent to one another and treat each other with some care whenever possible. Lord knows, I was not the shining example of that when I was here regularly. But I wanted to offer the sentiment anyway. Have your fun, even your "mean" fun if it's all just playing. But remember there are real humans on the other side of that screen and keyboard.

Have a great DiTA day. I'll check back once in a while to see if anything ever happens with the diary, but now I'm off to live the rest of my life.

All the best to everyone,

--John
                        Thats good news that you're cancer free. Hope your health remains well
                        Respectfully,
                        Jordan

Comment

Hi John

Very sorry to hear you've been unwell. Fingers crossed that you're now over the worst.

Is there any way we could give malignant melanoma to the Diary? It might be the only way to get it tested.

Comment

Hello John,
                            Nice to hear from you once again ..
                            even if it is this time only.

Myself and others were wondering if you would reappear
                            on Dita day ..

It is funny in life that it sometimes takes something like
                            an illness to make you see life from a better perspective.
                            Your wonderful post spoke volumes ..

I wish you continued good health, and all the best in life,
                            Those same sentiments are also conveyed to you,
                            by Steve Powell.

Love,
                            Victoria
                            "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
                            of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

Do take care of yourself, John.

Love,

Caz
                              X

PS A 20th century hoax? Wow, after all that time and effort? I think we could all have lived with a conclusion of that simplicity.
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                              X