Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off Topic Arguing (Moved from Hutchinson thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic Arguing (Moved from Hutchinson thread)

Okay, Garry – you bring things up again, at a stage where I have clearly inidcated my purpose to stay away from this debate, and you do it in a manner that calls for answers - many of them. And you shall have them - each and every one.

I am not at all sure if my answers will satisfy you in a scientific manner. I do not have the same kind of background as you do. I am a journalist, though, and as such, I am quite accustomed to evaluating sources from that perspective.

To begin with, I am not at all sure that you have seen all the material involved, when it comes to what Leander stated. Therefore, I will provide you with a complete listing of it all. It reads like this:

"Post 1:
    ”I wish to strongly underline your wiew that comparing research into signatures must be done using the original material and I/we would not have the possibility to write a full expertīs opinion on the material supplied. Under the circumstances, however, I would like to express myself thusly:
    It cannot be ruled out that we are dealing with the same person - there is a number of matches of a common character (character of style, degree of writing skill, the spreading of the text, certain proportions), and, as far as can be judged from the copy there are also a number of matches when it comes to the shapes of single letters.
    Against these matches one must pose differences in certain liftings of the pen (?), the proportions of the tch-group and the perhaps most eyecatching differences in the shaping of some of the letters; G (the ground-shape), r and n at the end of the signature.
    The differences could be explained by H. being relatively young at the first writing occasion, the surrounding circumstances as available writing space, function of the pen and similar things. The signature at the top (the police report signature from page three of the protocol – my remark) is unquestionably the one that differs most at any rate.
    In conclusion, you must see this as a spontaneous, personal comment from me and not as a full expert opinion, since such things cannot be done from a material like this!
    Good luck with the hunt!
    Frank Leander”

Post 2, which answered my query about whether he could see the age in the signature of the man who signed the police report is:

"It was just one of many possible explanations to the differences (I had no idea of the persons age and you can normally not make any too certain assessments of age from a persons handwriting)!"

Post 3:
    ”The overall and general impression is one of an obvious likeness, and it offers far too much of a handstyle resemblance to offer any reason to discard it".

Post 4:
    Semantics is a hard thing! I do not wish to embark on any further elaboration on the issue since I have only commented on a few pictures via mail, but in ”my world”, the expression CAN NOT BE RULED OUT belongs to the same parish as THERE ARE OBVIOUS LIKENESSES IN CERTAIN RESPECTS. But once again: It is not until you have an original material with a sufficient number of signatures to compare that you can tell what the indications are worth!

Friendly greetings,

Frank

Post 5, in response to my question:
    ”My wiew is that you in your latest mail write that you think that the likeness between the signatures means that you place the match on the positive end of the scale, but that you would need the original documents and more signatures to be a bit more sure about it.
    Is that a correct wiew?”

And hereīs Frank Leanders answer:

”Yes, thatīs about it, or put differently: In an investigation or a search for a wanted person, it is worth to move on with this person because – as I am inclined to think at present – get the suspicions confirmed – OR to realize that the similarities were coincidental (which I at present would be surprised by).
    Greetings,
    Frank”

PS. ”Can not be ruled out” has earlier been used as the lowest, most careful expression on the positive side in a scale that we have used in investigations of handstyles, and it serves well to underline when we cannot see any discrepancies other than in the ”amplitude” between the expressions. DS."

Clearly, this compilation involves a number of statements on behalf of Leander, that you for some reason have left out in you posts on the matter. And as far as I am concerned, the bearing of it all is immense.

You write:
    "as I previously explained on another thread, “cannot be ruled in; cannot be ruled out” is science-speak for there being insufficient evidence to make a determination one way or the other. In other words, the null hypothesis has been upheld. No significant effect has been detected."

But we actually know that in Leanders case, "cannot be ruled out" does not mean that the null hypothesis has been upheld - it instead means that we are dealing with "the lowest, most careful expression on the positive side in a scale that we have used in investigations of handstyles, and it serves well to underline when we cannot see any discrepancies other than in the ”amplitude” between the expressions".

That, effectively tells me that we are nowhere even near a "null hypothesis" in this particular case - we are instead handling material where the only discrepancies we can find are to be found in the "amplitudes" between the expressions.
    And of course, Leander bears out that he is not - and has never been - of the meaning that a null hypotheses applies in this case, when he writes "it is worth to move on with this person because – as I am inclined to think at present – get the suspicions confirmed – OR to realize that the similarities were coincidental (which I at present would be surprised by)."

Putting it differently - and I am fully aware that you donīt want me to put things differently, but since I have not the scientific tools, I make do with what I got: my journalistic experience and the respect it has brought me for the need on the publics behalf to have things clarified at times - Leander is of the meaning that AS THINGS STAND, he is inclined to believe that we have a match.
    My own stance on the matter is that I believe that, weighing together the fact that he states that the only discrepancies he can see inbetween the signatures are of an "amplitude" character, and the fact that he tells us that he would be surprised to find out that he was wrong (although he of course does not exclude the possibility), what Leander tells us is that if he had had access to the originals and if he had had access to a handful more signatures by the Dorset Street witness, it would have taken major dissimilarities in the elements for him NOT to move the verdict up to a hit on the upper hand of the scale. That is how I personally read it all; he never gave the verdict "a hit on the lower end of the scale" because the match was in any respect a poor one, but because of the lack of material and inherent material quality he experienced.

Of course, Leander is still out there, and I could ask him if this is something he can confirm or deny. But the trouble with such a thing would be that if Leander answered that he did not concur, it would be detrimental to me, and if he answered that he in fact did concur, the exact same thing would apply, since in such a case, Ben would step in and tell me that it is extremely strange that every time I ask Leander something, he sides with my wiew, implying that either Leander changes his mind or that I am lying. Of course, to ME a concurrance would not mean that he has changed his mind at all - quite the contrary - but Ben would keep pressing that "cannot be excluded" means that Leander from the outset gave a verdict of a "null hypothesis", just as you are suggesting yourself - but which I am denying for reasons outlined above.
    And science may well have itīs merits and good sides, but if it is science to disallow a researcher to use the vocabulary he has been trained to use, simply because we dislike the fact that it swears against our own convictions or the praxis we have been using ourselves, then Iīm afraid I say so much for science in this case!

You write:
    "you have consistently overstated the ‘evidence’ that appears to lend plausibility to the ‘Toppy was Hutchinson’ argument, whilst at the same time dismissing anything that fails to dovetail with your own beliefs."

In all honesty, how can I have been overstating things - if I am proven right in the future? We do not have the answer, Garry, and so I am very reluctant myself to pass judgment on who has been over- or understating things. If you mean that the evidence I am using is to weak to tie any substantial hopes to it, I simply disagree, while I respect any scientifically trained persons wiew that I may be too optimistic at too early a stage. It is everyones prerogative to use whatever training he or she has to judge the material, and the fact that most historians will listen to the scientifically trained and those who are more accustomed to evaluate scientific value is something I accept, respect and live with. To me, the signatures together with Leanders wiew, are quite enough for me to make my own mind up.

"you have exhibited a tendency to be rude and even abusive to those posters whose opinions fail to accord with your own. Was it really necessary to brand Babybird a liar when all she did was quote your own words?"

I have been rude. Absolutely. Moreover, it is not the first time it happens in exchanges with Ben. We have had a number of extremely heated debates where we have both repeatedly stepped over the line. I will only say that it takes two to tango, and leave it up to anybody who cares to do so to find out who leads and who follows when the two of us go Latin-American.

"Even when Ben reconsidered his position with regard to Frank, held up his hands and admitted that he had been in error, you embarked on a campaign of taunting and ridicule. As I have stated previously, Fisherman, it is more than possible to disagree without being disagreeable."

Normally, yes. But this time over I was of the meaning that Ben was trying to straddle a cleft of opinions on his own behalf that was way too wide to allow it. He chose to change his mind about Leanders status in the exchange with you, whereas he told me that Leander had been led by me to throw his obligations as a discerning researcher overboard. And frankly, Garry, it is either or; either you trust a scientist fully and wholly, or you are of the opinion that he cannot be trusted. It is also very unbecoming if you trust a researcher and hail his integrity as long as he concurs with your own wiews, but speak of him as being totally irresponsible when his findings and statements go against your own convictions. Whatever THAT is, it is not named science.

As for calling Babybird a liar, that emanated at a point where she claimed that I had stated that Leander had said that Toppy was Hutch. He would, in other words, according to me have passed a definitive verdict, leaving no room for doubts.

One post that goes to illuminate tha affair is this:

Babybirds wording:
    "You have quite clearly said at different points in the discussion, that Toppy = Hutch, that Leander states that Toppy = Hutch (not true at all), that you concur with me when i state you cannot "close the case" (or be 100% certain in other words) that Toppy does = Hutch, that Toppy is probably Hutch etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc..."

My answer:
    "I do believe that Toppy is Hutch. The evidence for it is overwhelming. That has remained my stance throughout. I have just posted and told you that I regard it a 99 per cent plus chance. The remaining fraction of a per cent means that I am honest enough to admit that no absolute certainty can be reached as yet, but that owes mostly to the lack of more signatures. I have every faith that when such signatures surface, they will confirm what I say - that Toppy in all probability is Hutch.
    I have never said that Leander has stated that Toppy is Hutch. It is semantically twisted to begin with, since Leander has never used any of these names. Furthermore, he has never - and would never, as a discerning expert - said such a thing. He speaks in probabilities and possibiliteis only, and if you have not yet seen this, I fear you will never do so.
    If you want to point me out as not being steadfast, Babybird, then you really ought not fabricate things.
    Leander has stated that he would be surprised if the man (Toppy) who wrote the wedding signature and the census signatures, was not the same man that signed the police protocol back in 1888. That means that he sees the match as a probable one, and he is careful to tell us that he puts the hit on the lower side of the positive scale.
    Can I be much clearer? I donīt think so.
    In a fashion, you were also quite clear when you posted things that I have never said. It makes for quite a telling story too.
    Fisherman"

When this post reached the boards, Babybird reacted to my suggestions that she had fabricated things and posted things that I had never said by retorting:

"point this out or apologise; if you do not i will report you. I cannot abide liars"

...and at that stage, of course, we had BOTH called each other liars!

So where do we find the truth? We find it in this wording, from another exchange:

My wording:
    "I have never said that Leander has stated that Toppy is Hutch."

Babybirds wording:
    "Right. You never said: 'At present, Toppy is Hutch". That means that I concur with Leander'
    Funny how i am able to quote something you said, as you apparently now never said it."

And so, I never DID say that Leander at any stage stated that Toppy was Hutch. What I DID say was that I believed that at present, as things were standing, my OWN stance was that Toppy would in all probability be Hutch (I have since upgraded that to saying that to me, the case is closed until any evidence surfaces that disproves the match - but that is a different story, fools gold and all that....), and that in thinking so I concur with Leander, who ALSO is of the opinion that as it stands, he would be surprised to learn that Toppy was not our man.
    You will appreciate that there is a very clear difference involved here, and that I will not go down as the man who made Leanders mind up for him - for he clearly and abundantly stated from the outset that he would NOT go beyond his verdict of a hit on the lower end of the scale as long as the lack of material and an investigation of the originals hindered him to do so.

Make of this what you want, Garry - at least now you have the whole picture, and just as Leander says, no verdicts should be passed without it. Well, he actually never said that explicitly - but he leaves us in little doubt about it, does he not?

The best,
    Fisherman

PS. Unless I am forced to do so, I will not discuss this matter further with anybody but you, for the moment being. Like I said, I have retracted from the discussion as things stand, but felt I owed you an answer to your long posts.

Oh God, more verbal diarrhoea...

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    As for calling Babybird a liar, that emanated at a point where she claimed that I had stated that Leander had said that Toppy was Hutch.
    Yes, Fish, because THIS is exactly what YOU said, and i quoted then, and quote again now, verbatim:

'At present, Toppy is Hutch". That means that I concur with Leander'
    I have no idea what "concur" means in your part of the woods, but over here it means "agree: to have the same opinion as somebody else, or reach agreement independently on a specific point."

Therefore when you say, Toppy is Hutch, and that in asserting that Toppy is Hutch you "concur" with Leander, you are stating that you and Leander share the same view, that Toppy is Hutch...please, can anyone else explain this any more clearly to Fish, who still doesn't seem to understand that I QUOTED PRECISELY WHAT HE SAID AND I AM NOT A LIAR.

As to having called you a liar, as i explained at the time; many posters WERE doubting your honesty...i did not...i gave you the benefit of the doubt and ascribed your inconsistencies, quite generously i believe, to mistakes...honest mistakes, with language, with interpretation etc.

YOU however, called me a liar, when i quoted you VERBATIM, and you are compounding your offence by continually trying to justify what anyone with half a brain cell can see is unjustifiable...completely and utterly.

I ONLY called you a liar, and said that i cannot abide liars, AFTER you accused me of lying, which i patently and demonstrably (since i have demonstrated this numerous times now) am not. If i am not a liar, but you call me one, that certainly makes one of us a liar, and me entitled to point out that you are one, since the evidence is there for everyone to see that i am not.

For God's sake grow up, admit you are wrong, and do the decent thing. You are starting to make me sick of this place.
    Last edited by babybird67; 07-06-2009, 11:01 PM. Reason: grammar
    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

When in doubt...

Get your dictionary out. Or so my old Nan used to say.

The Oxford Dictionary says:

Verbatim: (adjective) quoted directly and without any changes to the statement

Thus, if one quotes another one verbatim, they cannot, by definition, be a liar - since all they are doing is repeating what the first person said in the first place.

That ought to be straightforward enough. Ought to be.

As usual, without prejudice.

Jane x

Comment

We have more than a dozen already, Jane, at least of the "Hutchinson" bit, in that Toppy (as head of household) filled in the names of his wife and children, as well as his own (twice) on the 1911 Census return.
        And we're fortunate indeed to have them, Gareth, since - in my view - the additional census examples of Toppy's handwriting only serve to reinforce the significant differences between his penmanship and that of the Hutchinson who signed the statement. Toppy's handwriting remained fairly rigid over a 13-year period, and the differences with the statement signatures remained different over that time-span. They're really not "small" discrepencies either.

Hi Fish,

I wouldn't have responded to the above, were it not for the regularity with which you mention my name.

Unfortunately, the fact that you are insistent on bringing up multiple posts from Leander only serves to highlight the problem for me. His initial neutral post needed no clarfication. He expressed his opinion, which didn't exhibit a preference for either side of the discussion, and urged caution that his comments should be seen as spontaneous, and not as a "full expert opinion". The matter should have been left to rest there, rather than allowing what later transpired to occur, which involved bombarding Leander with more and more clarifications until his stance radically altered from his initial impression.

You just needed to leave him alone at that stage.

He didn't have anything like sufficient material to make the sort of determination that you were essentiually demanding of him. The computerized images conveyed an erroneous impression that the signatures were the same size, they were sent via email, and they came with the patently false piece of biographical information that there were only a handful of viable candidates. The information was not only worthless for making an accurate comparison, it was heavily contaminated.

I utterly reject your "forth" and "fifth" responses from Leander, since I believe they were the result of a pestered professional appeasing the bombarder. I'm forced into accepting this explanation, essentially, since the only alternatives are those that discredit Leander: A) He radically altered his stance from his initial post, and B) He communicated himself so atrociously in his first post that his intended meaning was completely obscured. I don't endorse either of those options. I endorse option C): Leander realised that he wouldn't be left alone unless his opinions became more Toppy-endorsing, so he effectively fobbed you off.

So all that ridiculous nonsense about Leander discerning a "match", and expressing surprise if they weren't penned by the same writer can be safely rejected. Why? Because, if we don't reject it, any worth in Leander's initial commentary is effectively cancelled out, and Leander himself thrown out with the bathwater. Such ridiculous nonsense would make a mockery of his cautionary words or wisdom against arriving at too hard and fast a conclusion from too little evidence.

The lowest hit on the positive scale is a description that can be applied, quite comfortably, to "It cannot be ruled out", but neither expression can ever mean "probable". Leander never claimed as much, for thoroughly bloody good reason.

Unless I am forced to do so, I will not discuss this matter further with anybody but you
        You're never "forced" to respond. Whatever do you mean?
        Last edited by Ben; 07-07-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Jane Welland writes:

"if one quotes another one verbatim, they cannot, by definition, be a liar - since all they are doing is repeating what the first person said in the first place."

That all sounds very logical, Jane. But try these two sentences:

"I do not think, Jane, that in this case you are correct. Moreover, if you live under the misconception that I do not know how to use a wordbook, you are mistaken."

Now, letīs make two verbatim quotations from it:

"In this case, you are correct. I do not know how to use a wordbook."

Now, how did you think that verbatim quotation came out: True to the original meaning - or false?

Babybird stated that I had said that Leander had claimed that Toppy was Hutch. But what WAS said on my behalf was "At present, Toppy is Hutch". That means that I concur with Leander".

Can you spot the difference, or do you see a "verbatim" quotation here? What I am saying is that "AT PRESENT" - as things stand - Toppy is Hutch. That means that the evidence that has surfaced SO FAR (at present) tells us that Toppy was Hutch. MORE EVIDENCE, though, may tell a different story, and therefore we may need to revise the stance that Toppy was Hutch.
          Leander said the same thing, more or less - he stated that he would be surprised to find that Toppy was NOT Hutch. This tells us the exact same thing; that he AT PRESENT, AS THINGS STAND is of the opinion that it is more credible than not that Toppy was Hutch, but added evidence may produce another picture.

I feel quite sure that any shortcomings on my behalf when it comes to the English language do not apply here. I think it is equally quite clear that I have never said that Leander has stated that Toppy was Hutch - what I HAVE stated is that he leans towards that interpretation, since the evidence that is available so far gives him that impression.

I sincerely hope that you now see what I mean, Jane - mostly because I will follow my own conviction that this issue needs no further elaboration. Frankly, it has - as far as Iīm concerned - been a non-issue from the outset.

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

WARNING....WARNING...I AM DISCUSSING THINGS AS THEY STAND, NOT AS THEY DON'T STAND OR MAY OR MAY NOT STAND AT SOME UNSPECIFIED FUTURE TIME HENCE!!!! LET US BE QUITE CLEAR ABOUT THIS, JUST IN CASE SOMEBODY WHO CANNOT UNDERSTAND PLAIN ENGLISH HAPPENS ACROSS MY POSTING AND GETS GRIEVOUSLY CONFUSED, ON WHICH TRAGIC TURN OF EVENTS I COULD NOT COPE WITH THE GUILT, AND MAY CAST MYSELF DRUITT-LIKE INTO THE MURKY THAMES, NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN....UNLESS I FLOAT...

Can you spot the difference, or do you see a "verbatim" quotation here? What I am saying is that "AT PRESENT" - as things stand - Toppy is Hutch. That means that the evidence that has surfaced SO FAR (at present) tells us that Toppy was Hutch. MORE EVIDENCE, though, may tell a different story, and therefore we may need to revise the stance that Toppy was Hutch.

What? Even though the great Fisherman says again and again that he believes even perusal of the actual documents would have no bearing or give no need for a revised opinion from said Leander? Surely not. I thought we had already intelligently established that document examiners have no need to examine actual physical documents? At present, as things stand, such a certainty to such a stance,that the present evidence allows us to equate Toppy with Hutch, is idiotically based on the foundations of a faulty document non-analysis, and i'd be very surprised if any document examiner eschewed the actual necessity of basing a PROFESSIONAL opinion on real, physical document examination, and chose instead to base his estimations on such sandy metaphorical turf.

Obviously i have been at fault here. Obviously I need to revise my posting style, and in light of this I shall preface every posting i subsequently make here, with the significance-altering phrase "at present"; otherwise posters might get the mistaken impression that i am discussing things as they do not stand...perhaps they may surmise i am discussing things in the far distant future, such as 2025, or perhaps even as far distant an hour as two o'clock this afternoon. Perhaps they may wonder whether i am discussing things as they once stood in Olympian times when the Gods played with men like flies, until men repudiated God and ended up having to play with themselves...

Frankly, it has - as far as Iīm concerned - been a non-issue from the outset.
            Yes Fisherman, you would find calling someone else a liar a non-issue.

Unfortunately, at present, as in the past, and as in the future, to some people, myself included, integrity is important.

Still, at present, as it has been so skilfully established that by quoting you verbatim i am a liar, i may say the following things with impunity, and with the added caveat that as i am a liar nobody would AT PRESENT "concur" with me...you are a liar, a tw@t, an idiot, an ill-mannered, spineless throwback and, to quote someone else, verbatim, i might add, just for clarity, you are also quite blatantly a "dick".

(babybird apologises to others for the cessation of normal service, which will resume shortly, after said outburst )

I trust my PRESENT appraisal of your (lack of) character will be as much a non-issue for you as your attack on mine was.

Have a pleasant morning.
            babybird

George Sand

Comment

Good Morning Fisherman!

That all sounds very logical, Jane. But try these two sentences:

"I do not think, Jane, that in this case you are correct. Moreover, if you live under the misconception that I do not know how to use a wordbook, you are mistaken."

Now, letīs make two verbatim quotations from it:

"In this case, you are correct. I do not know how to use a wordbook."

Now, how did you think that verbatim quotation came out: True to the original meaning - or false?
              I do see what you mean Fisherman - but what you are demonstrating here is not quoting verbatim according to the above definition as given by the Oxford Dictionary - which I think I'm safe in suggesting is accepted as definitive in England.

What you have demonstrated is that by taking selective elements of your statement and putting them together, you can change the meaning of the statement - so that it implies a meaning that you never intended with your original words. That's misrepresentation - but it isn't quoting verbatim.

To quote you verbatim here, I would need to reiterate your entire sentence - as this is the statement that you originally gave.

Again, the OED gives the definition as: quoted directly and without any changes to the statement
              That means not altering the words, yes. It also means not altering the statement - which includes omission - omission is an alteration, just as addition would be.

Now, I don't know who said what - it's between you and Babybird, and not for me to involve myself with - but as a general point, if another poster quotes you verbatim - they cannot, by definition (as described above) be lying. This follows because they are repeating your own statement.

As for your grasp of the English language etc - I haven't made any comment on that - I don't make personal comments, Fisherman- I have no interest in any of that.

Let's leave it there, shall we? As I said - my comments are without prejudice.

Jane x

Comment

Sorry Babybird..

I think we must have cross-posted.

Jane x

Comment

Jane Welland writes:

"Now, I don't know who said what - it's between you and Babybird, and not for me to involve myself with - but as a general point, if another poster quotes you verbatim - they cannot, by definition (as described above) be lying."

But you DO know what was claimed and said, Jane. I just posted it. And it shows you very clearly that you cannot say that I have said that Leander at any time has stated that Toppy was Hutch. Thus there is no verbatim quotation involved here. To reach any such conclusion, one must make an interpretation of the wording I used that was never intended.

And now, yes - letīs leave it. At least when it comes to our interchange.

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

As you say, Fisherman..

Although, for the record, my comments were concerned with the definition and meaning of the term 'verbatim' which seemed in doubt. They were not concerned with your view on Toppy - which I am, as you say, conversant with. What you personally think about that is your own business - and I have nothing to say regarding who is right or wrong. As far as I can see, it is far from certain, either way.

All the best, Fisherman.

Jane x

Comment

Jane Welland writes:

"my comments were concerned with the definition and meaning of the term 'verbatim' which seemed in doubt."

Letīs find out, Jane! You write, using a dictionary, that it means "quoted directly and without any changes to the statement".

My own interpretation of the word is that it equals the Swedish "ordagrant", meaning that you qoute word by word, making no changes. If, however, verbatim means that you quote the true meaning and not necessarily the exact wording, then we may have an issue.
                      If not, to say that I have stated that Leander has said that Toppy was Hutch would require that exact phrasing on my behalf, would it not? And I have never written, thought or tried to lead on any such perception, for the very simple reason that such a thing would never be in accordance with Leanders OWN wording, which very clearly tells us that he sees it as more probable than not that Toppy WAS Hutch - but that he never at any stage goes any longer than this.

What Babybird did, was to use my wording "At present, Toppy is Hutch. That means that I concur with Leander" as if I had said only "Toppy is Hutch. That means that I concur with Leander".

But what I concurred with Leander about was NOT that Toppy was/must have been Hutch; it was that at present - as things stand - the most probable solution to the issue was that Toppy WAS indeed Hutch.
                      A comparison could be made with an imagined World Cup final in soccer where Sweden leads Brazil by three goals to nil with ten minutes left of the game (oh, blissfull thought!). At such a stage, if anybody was to say "At present, Sweden are the world champions", who could object?

As I say, if "ordagrant" (word by word) IS the true interpretation of "verbatim", I see no reason whatsoever to discuss this issue any further. The rest of it, however; whether Toppy really WAS Hutch or not, is another matter altogether. That one will cause all sorts of calamity for a long time to come, and it will require a very balanced attitude to discuss in a productive manner. I think that many posters - myself included - will find that an extremely challenging task, but as long as we try our best, maybe something good will come from it in the end. I hope so, at least.

The best, Jane!
                      Fisherman
                      Last edited by Fisherman; 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Warning!!! Warning!!! Present situation being discussed!!!

If not, to say that I have stated that Leander has said that Toppy was Hutch would require that exact phrasing on my behalf, would it not? And I have never written, thought or tried to lead on any such perception,
                        You haven't????

You haven't said that you and Leander concur that at this present time that "Toppy is Hutch"?

You haven't posted ream after ream of pointless, lying rubbish, that Leander's is the only "fully documented" "professional" analysis we have, and therefore the best one we have and the only one on which we can safely base our signature and witness identification appraisal?

What Babybird did, was to use my wording "At present, Toppy is Hutch. That means that I concur with Leander" as if I had said only "Toppy is Hutch. That means that I concur with Leander".
                        Yes, because if one doesn't stipulate one is discussing the present situation, all manner of confusion may occur.

But what I concurred with Leander about was NOT that Toppy was/must have been Hutch; it was that at present - as things stand - the most probable solution to the issue was that Toppy WAS indeed Hutch.
                        No Fish. You didn't say that.

You didn't say "the most probable solution."

You DID say, however, that "At present, Toppy is Hutch. That means i concur with Leander." I thought i had explained to you before, that if you use the word "IS", you are making an equation...you are saying Toppy and Hutch are the same thing/interchangeable/identity established.

Perhaps on reflection you SHOULD have said "the most probable solution", since that would have apparently expressed your meaning better, according to the revisionist stance you appear to be embracing now.

But you didn't. You said "At present, Toppy is Hutch. That means i concur with Leander."

Wriggle and deny all you like, but those are the words that YOU chose to use, not me. You chose to express the issue as certain, by using the words "Toppy is Hutch" and by dragging poor Leander's circumspect "cannot be ruled out" stance down with you. You have paid Leander, an alleged friend, the utmost disrespect by misrepresenting him to bolster your own position...you should really be ashamed of yourself, but i suspect your journalistic training has most probably nullified any feelings of shame you might otherwise have innately possessed (apologies to honest and reputable journalists everywhere).

You lie and misrepresent wherever you go...even about your own friends, apparently. You may wish to draw a line under the issue, but let me point out that you brought it up once again, by poking your nose into a post quite clearly addressed to Garry, not to you, trying once again to discredit me.

You can ignore my posts all you like, and try to excuse yourself with other posters, but i am still here, and i will continue to post what you actually said rather than what you wish you had said, to show anyone and everyone that YOU are the liar, not me.
                        Last edited by babybird67; 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM. Reason: tidying
                        babybird

George Sand

Comment

I will suggest that Fisherman was never quoted verbatim else we'd have a zillion more pages to sift through. As it is all one continuous, stream of conciousness thought, I wouldn't have it any other way.

ME
                          huh?

Comment

yes but Mike that is only your present position...

who knows what position you may soon espouse...it could be any number of contorted creations...Fish after all has more positions than the Kama Sutra!
                            Last edited by babybird67; 07-07-2009, 12:41 PM. Reason: inserting witticism
                            babybird

George Sand

Comment

Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
                              ...Fish after all has more positions than the Kama Sutra!
                              Never heard of that

Saint Michael
                              huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X