re East End Photograph thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re East End Photograph thread

in chat last night, i was being teased about my malingering status, and, to earn the right to fleece Mark and others of their hard earned taxes, it was suggested, jokingly, at least i think it was jokingingly, that i make myself useful and create an Index of the mammoth East End photos thread, to make it easier for people to access what they are looking for.

Having considered this, i think it would be a worthy task, and i am willing to do this little bit of secretarial work, to earn my gruel, and to be of general help and use to my fellow humankind.

So, a couple of questions:

Is this something that people here would feel had some benefit? If not, I don't want to waste my time.

Is anyone else already doing it? i don't want to get half way through and find someone has already been doing it and pre-posts me.

If it is done, how best would members here like it arranged? I thought alphabetically, by place/subject name, but I'd like others' suggestions as to what would be most helpful.

I thought once it is set up, i could update it monthly etc.

Classification would include title of picture, contributor, date (if known), page number, post number...is there anything else that would need to be included?

Looking for suggestions/comments from everyone.
    Last edited by babybird67; 06-09-2009, 06:47 PM.
    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
    So, a couple of questions:

Is this something that people here would feel had some benefit? If not, I don't want to waste my time.

Is anyone else already doing it? i don't want to get half way through and find someone has already been doing it and pre-posts me.

If it is done, how best would members here like it arranged? I thought alphabetically, by place/subject name, but I'd like others' suggestions as to what would be most helpful.

I thought once it is set up, i could update it monthly etc.

Classification would include title of picture, contributor, date (if known), page number, post number...is there anything else that would need to be included?

Looking for suggestions/comments from everyone.

I think it's a great idea. I doubt very much if anyone else has even though of undertaking it.

As for arranging the subject matter, I'd suggest whatever works best for you. You're the one doing all the work.

Good luck.

Comment

Wow! What a great idea - definitely would be very useful! It seems it might be a big task, though!

Jane x

Comment

works for me,well done old bean..not so old actually..oops big hole, small shovel

live long and prosper

Comment

Thanks for doing this, Jen.

I have uploaded a prototype format to the link below:

Index to East End Photographs and Drawings [Prototype]

Interested parties are welcome to share their opinions about the idea, and its execution, on this thread. You will need Microsoft Office 1997 (onwards) to access the Index.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

thanks for doing it?

well,Mark, i had no idea it was optional...i thought if i refused you would be marching on Downing Street with placards and demands for my forced deportation to an island somewhere!

Seriously, it was a good idea Mark...and it was Mark's idea not mine, for all those who are pleased with the idea...i'm just the clerical admin side!

Thanks for the template...will wait for a few days to see if any further suggestions are forthcoming before i begin my Herculean labour.
            babybird

George Sand

Comment

It's a good idea folks. There are a lot of great images and sometime finding them later can be a pain.

If you enjoy the thread, perhaps revisiting the pictures during the course of one's labours will take the sting out of the task!

Comment

Nice one babybird. Ive been trawling that thread for ages trying to catch up on all my homework,and it is massive,but having fun doing it.
                Many thanks for your efforts,Im sure we will all benefit

Comment

would people like to distinguish between...

photos and drawings as one of the classification criteria?

And, is it me, or are there some posts missing on page 3? Posts 24-30?
                  Last edited by babybird67; 06-11-2009, 03:54 PM.
                  babybird

George Sand

Comment

I personally am not sure that's needed - but its just my view. Anything that makes less work for you! (says lazy Jane).

I've been to sites looking for images to illustrate stuff and haven't found many distinguishing betweene drawings and photos for the same subject.

I think I'm rambling. I'll go away now!

Whatever the consensus is, I think.

Jane x

Comment

Working...
                    X