Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To anyone not in the police force

HC Deb 18 July 1889 vol 338 cc730-1 730
    § MR. MONTAGU (Tower Hamlets, Whitechapel) I beg to ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he will offer a substantial reward, accompanied by a free pardon, to anyone not in the police force and not the actual perpetrator of the recent 731 crime in Whitechapel who will give such information as will lead to the conviction of the murderer; and whether he will sufficiently increase the number of detectives so as to prevent, if possible, further atrocities in East London?

§ MR. MATTHEWS I have consulted the Commissioner of Police, and he informs me that he has no reason to believe that the offer of a reward now would be productive of any good result, and he does not recommend any departure from the policy resolved on last year, and fully explained by me to the House. Since the occurrence of the outrages in the East End, a large number of men in plain clothes have been employed there, and I yesterday sanctioned an arrangement for still further increasing the number of detectives available for duty in Whitechapel.

It appears that Montagu meant that no reward should be given to any police-force member, simply because it's their job, AP. The same sort of clause appears in rather mundane competitions - you know, "No employee of Shopco, or their families, may enter the draw", etc.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Granted, Sam, but it was the 'free pardon' in association with 'anyone not in the police force' that caught my one good eye.

Comment

Working...
      X