Foster, Superintendent Alfred Lawrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foster, Superintendent Alfred Lawrence

I'm sure this must have been seen before, because the text of the Pall Mall Gazette is searchable up to 1900, but it was new to me.

This report from the Pall Mall Gazette of 19 May 1892 is based on a interview with the retiring chief superintendent of the City of London police, Alfred Foster, and touches briefly on the Ripper murders:

"And crime?" - "With the exception of Jack the Ripper's Mitre-square tragedy, and the Cannon-street and Arthur-street murders, we have had nothing out of the ordinary in that way. But that Mitre-square murder fairly puzzled me. I have been interviewed by eminent spiritualists and others on the subject, and have had great hopes at different times of lighting upon some clue, but have completely failed. In fact that crime is as great a mystery to-day as ever it was."

I thought the references to eminent spiritalists, and to the hopes of finding a clue to the murder at different times - and of course to the fact that it remained a mystery - were interesting.

Foster appears in a group photo on p. 232 of Scotland Yard Investigates. The sketch accompanying the article might almost have been based on that photo.

Sadly Foster enjoyed only five years of retirement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PallMallGazette19May1892_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	669623

Name:	PallMallGazette19May1892_2.jpg
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	669624

Name:	PallMallGazette19May1892_3.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	669625

Another anomaly -- Detective Robert Sagar likely worked directly under Supt. Foster and remarks attributed to him (Sagar) on the Ripper appear to contradict those of Foster.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      Another anomaly -- Detective Robert Sagar likely worked directly under Supt. Foster and remarks attributed to him (Sagar) on the Ripper appear to contradict those of Foster.
      Yes - though on the other hand the bit about Foster having "had great hopes at different times of lighting upon some clue" is maybe consistent with the City C.I.D. having had several suspects that it took seriously, and - without trying to read too much into a single sentence - it sounds as though the "hopes" might have occurred over a reasonably extended period.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Foster appears in a group photo on p. 232 of Scotland Yard Investigates. The sketch accompanying the article might almost have been based on that photo.
        See what I mean?

Name:	Foster.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	656991

Comment

I have posted this elsewhere but for completeness I believe this is the photograph which the illustration is based upon.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonLMoore View Post
            I have posted this elsewhere but for completeness I believe this is the photograph which the illustration is based upon.
            Fantastic!

Comment

William Gee Parker also took the 87 City Group photo.

Cheers
              Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
              X