Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Picture

Hi everyone,

I had a question about this picture, I hope I uploaded it properly. It is a picture of known criminals from the period of the murders. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they could make out the name on #17 and if they know anything about him? Has anyone ever considered any of these other men in the picture as a suspect except for Michael Ostrog?

Thanks a bunch
    Attached Files

Hi Sam and welcome

The initials appear to be Wm. C.

The surname may start with PR or FR and end in LING. Hard to tell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Criminals.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	656929
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

After looking again I'd say FREDERIC(K) could be a possibility.

Comment

Yep could well be....shame it only shows the bottom of the letters- if it was the tops you could tell!
        Suz x
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

A William Fredericks appears in the Old Bailey records:

Since his naughtiness occured in 1875, he must presumably have re-offended in order to appear in such a rogues gallery as the one above. Assuming this is the right man, of course.

As potential suspects go, I'm more concerned about Hannibal Lector in window #12!

Best regards,
          Ben

Comment

Hi Ben

Well found. If he was 21 in 1875 that could be him around the late 1880s.

Comment

Thank you so much, good research. I thought the last name might be Redling, but your suggestions make more sense. In the picture he does look about the right age to be the William Fredericks that was in that Old Bailey record. Interesting stuff...

Comment

Hi,
                If my memory is correct, i believe these pictures were not actual 1888 offenders, but from some years previous, back in the 1870s, the picture of Ostrog would proberly have been from the same era, as the others.
                Regards Richard

Comment

Hi All

I've just been kindly advised privately that this man is William Charles Fredericks (alias George Bland, William Griffiths and Alfred Bailey) and that he was a portico thief.

Anybody know what a portico thief is?

Comment

Hi there,

is No 16 George William Topping Hutchinson?

Comment

You guys are great, thanks so much for the info. I was told once these photos were from around 1888, but maybe they are earlier ones. Not sure what a portico thief is.

Comment

Bachelor #12

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                        A William Fredericks appears in the Old Bailey records:
                        As potential suspects go, I'm more concerned about Hannibal Lector in window #12!
                        Best regards, Ben
                        Hi, Ben; I totally agree with what you said: Bachelor #12 jumped out at me too - Thank God, not literally!!!- He drew my eyes instantly and really creeped me out... God, he looks like the Poster Boy for Psychopathology! The other guys look a bit rough & Schizoid on the out-side, but #12 looks utterly self-contained and evil on the inside, which is so much weirder and scarier!

Who the hell is he? I hardly even saw the others, but I think I don't want to go back & look if it means I'll set eyes on him again.His image seems like a very bad thing to have in one's head.
                        Is there such a thing as ''Anti-Charisma''? He's got it in spades.
                        - Best regards, Archaic

Comment

That's funny because that's exactly how I felt about #16, but #12 looks creepy too. I thought it may be worth looking at the criminals of the time, maybe the police back then overlooked one of them that could fit as a plausible suspect. Although, many serial killers have never been in trouble with the law before and seem completely normal.

Comment

Mind you,have any of you seen the eyes on #9 ??
                            Now those eyes hold some secrets behind them...the name looks like John Small ?

Comment

Hi all -

A 'portico thief' was the name given to a burglar who would climb onto the portico of a house in order to gain access from that vantage point. (Sort of like a cat-burglar!)

Sadly not a dealer in second hand porticos! (Psssst Got a lovely marble number going cheap!)

See Charles Peace, who was described thus.

Suz x
                              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                              X