Late in the Evening...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late in the Evening...

Chapman was probably killed around 5.30 am. That seems to me to be extremely late for the Ripper to be out on the prowl. The nearest death to that would be Kelly at around 2-3.30 am. I wonder if Our Boy wasn't planning on killing anyone that morning, but was simply going to work as a lot of people were. Or coming off a night-shift as a lot of people were. Chapman propositioned him, and he thought 'why not!'

If that's the case, then he's carrying his fairly long knife with him, so may have used it in the course of his business. I recognize that this doesn't tell us much. But it would have been getting light around that time, and I think it's unlikely he would have been prowling all night without finding someone. If he's going to/coming from work, then he's a local guy and a working-class guy.

That would certainly make sense. Like you I can't see him having no opportunity before Annie if he set out to kill that night. However if he had been out on a night shift and had a bad one- then he's walking home and finds someone to vent his anger on.

Having said that, Polly Nichols was killed between 3 and 4 wasn't she?

Comment

A good point Chava,it is almost a 'daylight job' on Chapman,in a building (and those surrounding it ) that had early starts,as most did in the east end.

That's why i think he was a bit of a chancer,though basically planned,to do what he did at the time he did,and take the time to move body parts etc was either brave or a thrill seeking moment.

Either way he got away with it big time.
      Last edited by halomanuk; 04-20-2009, 01:58 AM.

Comment

If Chapmans murder was a spur of the moment event , as detailed above, then this fact severely dents the theory that the Ripper was working to some kind of repetitious agenda. I personally believe that (regarding the murder dates) he was working to some kind of agenda.

All the best

Observer

Comment

It's almost suppertime here, so I'm not going to go and check on it right now, but I think that most commentators would say that MJK died about 4:00-ish. Even so, the timing of Chapman's murder does seem unusual. You raise an interesting theory, Chava.

Comment

Having said that, Polly Nichols was killed between 3 and 4 wasn't she?
            She was! I'm sorry, I didn't check before I wrote that. And Kelly could have been killed as late as 3.45 am if we go on that call of 'murder' which I don't place much store by but which many highly-placed Ripperologists believe came from Kelly.

However I think there's a difference between the darkness of the small(ish) hours and the half-light of 5.30 am. Especially when there were so many workers in the streets at the time. Also it occurs to me that at such an hour, most prostitutes might have turned in and gone to bed alone. I doubt there would have been that many tarts around then. We don't know where Chapman spent most of the night, but it could have been in the area where she was killed. Maybe even on the first floor landing of #29 Hanbury Street. The front door was never locked after all. And if it wasn't locked there, chances are there were other houses let into rooms that were similarly accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post
              If that's the case, then he's carrying his fairly long knife with him, so may have used it in the course of his business.
              As the time and location of this murder does suggest an unplanned and impulsive attack I believe the police missed a trick here.

Concentrating on Hanbury St and it`s neighbouring streets, commencing the very next morning, between the hours of 04.00 am and 06.00 am they should have stopped and thoroughly searched all males. As noted by Chava, our boy will be carrying a 6-8 inch knife, not that common a knife.

Whether he was starting work, finishing work or homeless we can place him in Hanbury St at 05.15 am.

Comment

Working...
              X