No announcement yet.

Hi all, help with my ripper theory????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, help with my ripper theory????

I'm new here obviously, was pointed in the direction of this site by my university professor during the current course on histories mysteries which i am studying.

After hearing many arguments in books, on the internet and in my classes, it seems that many of the arguments i have heard range from the completely absurd; the likes of prince Albert and Jill the ripper, to arguments that the Ripper was an imigrant, most likely of Polish descent, in this scenario he was also most likely a Jew.

In my own mind the most likely candidate would not be as some have suggested a barber or a butcher, but a doctor, a doctor of medicine with experience of amputations, possibly someone who learnt his trade during the Crimean war. The rough ways in which the bodies were mutilated still showed that the Ripper had an intimate knowledge of anatomy, and although the ways in which the bodies were mutilated were less than professional, this could be accounted for by either the rush in which the mutilations were committed, a dehibilitating disease such as parkinsons which was only discovered in 1817 and not much was known about living with such an incapacity.

If this is the case then there of course needs to be a motive, as far as I am aware the east end was the pit of depravity during th late 19th century, also there have been suggestions that prostitution was rife all over London, with the older uglier prostitutes heading to the east end, with the lack of contraception is it possible that this doctor could have been caught out by one of these east end working girls and caught a sexually transmitted infection? In the east end even if a gentleman was caught witha prostitute, surely no one would know who they were. so could the motive be revenge?

I apologise if this has all been covered before, i also apologise if I seem like i'm cutting out the possibility for any other cases, this is just in my own mind the most plausible, and any views on this would be greatly apreciated.

Hi. Join the club.

Guess what? Your guess is as good as anyone else's. Although I'm not too sure about the 'my son caught VD from a prossie so I'll kill everyone I can until I die from old age'. I think you can rule out revenge. Jack was working from a much darker and much less sane viewpoint than that.

Cheers

Comment

Surely revenge via murder is quite sinister and dark? suggestions of insanity and mental instability seem to betray the way in which these murders were committed.

Comment

Much has been written and discussed regerading the several theories mentioned.
        This site covers them all and it might be worth your while checking out the other areas mentioned to the left of the screen,
        Ripper letters
        Police Officials
        etc

Here you will find lots of primary sources to help you.

There are also some great books on the market,
        Letters From Hell,
        Ultimate Sourcebook,
        Scotland Yard Investigates,
        A-Z,
        and Encyclopedia are among my faves.

Failing that have a wonder around the message boards, there are loads of very passionate, friendly and fun people here who will discuss the case, your theories and help you in the right direction.

I think the idea of Jack being an Immigrant is more plausible than the Dr theory, but that is just my own thoughts.

Good luck shaping your ideas

Mike
        Regards Mike

Comment

Theory

Govenor Leeus:
          First let me state detective abberline is correct. Your theory is as plausibkle as any one else's.
          I assume from reading your first post that you believe that Jack the ripper was British. What if he were American? Also take into account that a good medical steward in the army particulary one who had served in the American Civil War would have been well versed in surgical technique.
          There is always a motive in crime. It isn't always recognized. I believe however that revenge most likely was not the over-riding motive. Your theory however is the same one I ascribe to my suspect inthe novel I'm working on. I venture that Jack the Ripper would be found clinically insane if he were caught today but not necessarily legally insane. He may have believed he was cleansing the world of a pestilence but we will never definitively know amnd that's what keeps us coming to this site. Good luck and good hunting.
          Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Obviously a well informed professor!
            Now my advice would be to read Casebook from beginning to end (including the Message Boards) and steer clear of any ideas of 'who dunnit'...keep an open mind...read the best books available.....take a deep breath and think again!!

Suzi
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

The murders demonstrate a lack of surgical knowledge.

Yours truly,

--J.D

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

P.P.S. Two drink minimum. . . .

Comment

Considering what we know about SKs today its most likely JTR had no skills. He is a needle in a haystack. We probably never will know his name or what he was about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Rowe View Post
                  Considering what we know about SKs today its most likely JTR had no skills. He is a needle in a haystack. We probably never will know his name or what he was about.
                  Well if that's the case we might as well all give up then.

Comment

Hello Governor, from a fellow newbie. JTR as a doctor. Could very well be, but if he was a junior surgeon in the Crimean War wouldn't he be a little elderly to be trawling the streets of the East End in 1888? If he was born in say 1829 and served in 1853-56, he would have been in his late fifties at the time of the murders.

Comment

Umm Rosella Governor was a Newbie about 7 years ago.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Very Sorry Governor, I was very busy yesterday, posted quickly and must have misread. Stupid me!

Comment

Rosella, Absolutely! Even positing service in the American Civil War would put his age in the 40s The Zulu War of 1879 or the intermitent warfare in India or Afghanistan would be more likely. While ruling out someone in their 40s or 50s wouldn't be foolproof it is more likely the suspect was in his late 20s or his 30s. I base this on the descriptions such as they are and a theory that he didn't just start killing with the five canonical victims. I believe there were other victims although he may have only assaulted them.
                          Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
                            I believe there were other victims although he may have only assaulted them.
                            Agreed, YS. I'd wager that he was assaulting and possibly even mugging women long before his first murder. In view of the indoor killing of Mary Kelly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he also had a history of burglary and suchlike.

Comment

Working...
                            X