Any of the Suspects a butcher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of the Suspects a butcher?

I think most of us read the thread about Jack being a butcher/slaughterman theory.Seems like the theory that could make the most sense depending on what people believe.
    A bloody knife wouldnt be suspicious there.
    Same as a man who would have blood on him.
    Also having a bit of anatomical skills are needed there.
    Now are/is any of the suspects who have worked or had some sorta experiences in this way?

Also a thought.If it really was a butcher.What kind of knife would he had used?
    question if any of yas are chef's or butchers themselves.

Jacob (or Joseph) Isenschmid, a Swiss pork butcher, is the most famous - and at least he was a contemporary suspect. Arrested by the police after the Annie Chapman murder, he was confined to an asylum, where he remained during subsequent murders - so he wasn't the Ripper.

Others have suggested Jacob Levy, a London-born Jewish butcher, and even James Hardiman, the cat's meat butcher who lived at 29 Hanbury Street - neither of whom, as far as I know, were ever official contemporary suspects for the Ripper murders.
    Last edited by Sam Flynn; 04-10-2009, 12:53 PM.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Lika, there is also William Henry Bury an ex-horse meat butcher. There two books that I know of that discuss Bury as a suspect, The Trial of Jack the Ripper by Euan Mcpherson, it was Mcpherson who rediscovered Bury as a suspect, and Jack the Ripper: Anatomy of a myth by William Beadle.

Comment

Jacob Isenschmid was released from the asylum. In the 1891 census he is living south of the river in Camberwell. Unsurprisingly his wife is still in Duncombe Street in Islington.

Comment

Mary Isenschmid believed the only person her husband would injure would be herself,was there any history of (police reports of domestic violence?)They were married for about 21 years at time of the murders,although there are reports that he was depressed,i could not find anything to say he was violent towards his wife.Thanks for any help

Dixon9
          still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Irvine View Post
            Lika, there is also William Henry Bury an ex-horse meat butcher. There two books that I know of that discuss Bury as a suspect, The Trial of Jack the Ripper by Euan Mcpherson, it was Mcpherson who rediscovered Bury as a suspect, and Jack the Ripper: Anatomy of a myth by William Beadle.
            I've never seen any hard evidence that Bury was a horse meat butcher although I have read this in a variety of places.

His jobs while he was in the Black Country were....

Tailor's apprentice in Kidderminster(his first post after leaving the Old Swinford Hospital School in 1873)
            Warehouseman at a hardware merchants
            Factors Clerk at a lock manufacturer
            Worked for a brass founder
            Hawker

Then in London he sold sawdust.

The horse slaughterer rumours surround his absence from the Midlands during various periods from 1885 to 1887 when he was rumoured to be in Dewsbury, Yorkshire amongst other places.

John

Comment

Isenschmid's asylum records describe him as dangerous, but as far as I am aware apart from attacking his wife (which was probably quite a common event at that time) the danger seems to have been his making threats - to blow up the Queen, to pour vitriol on his neighbour, etc.

I expect there was a level of domestic violence in Whitechapel and many people making threats. This doesn't make them murderers.

Isenschmid came under police suspicion because two doctors reported his strange behaviour. His wife and neighbours don't appear to have gone to the police. He was also thought to fit the description of the man seen in Mrs. Fiddymont's pub who was blood-stained. I don't think he was ever in an identity parade.

These points in themselves aren't evidence of murder. Apart from anything else, the big thing about the Ripper murders is that they are generally agreed to have ended with Mary Kelly's killing. This was extremely barbaric and quite possibly the murderer was either so deranged after this that he was incarcerated in an asylum, or he killed himself.

Isenschmid was in and out of asylums but there's no evidence he attacked anyone except his wife.

Comment

jacob levy?

Comment

Working...
                X