Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the killer have been ambidextrous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the killer have been ambidextrous?

Ok, I know quite a few people are convinced Tabram was a ripper victim. But in the inquest, it states all but one of her wounds was made by a right handed person. Now. That means one wound was made by a left handed person.

Now, reading Nichols injuries, it sounds like she was attacked face on, while she was on the ground, by a left handed person. (This was noted in the times report on the victim page)

I'd say she was lying down when her throat was cut, with the killers right hand over the mouth, causing the bruising.

I can't find any indications as to whether the wounds of the other victims were inflicted by a right handed or left handed person.

Could the killer have been ambidextrous? Would that have explained the disrepancies in Tabram's injuries? Or is it more likely Tabram was killed by two people, unrelated to the ripper attacks?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

I think the Ripper was right handed.
    CLK

Comment

My personal belief on Tabram was that she was stabbed once by a left handed John and left on the staircase where she encountered the Ripper.

At this point the Ripper hadn't killed yet but had been thinking about it for some time. Seeing the vulnerable and injured Tabram then and there finished her off and this is where his lust for homicide began.

Comment

Do you think Jack The Ripper was someone who lived in George Yard Buildings?
        CLK

Comment

As much as I hate to say this because it would be a very rare thing indeed but I think there is evidence of that. And I think he may have been able to use both hands equally well. If you look at the way Annie Chapman was killed and the way Mary Kelly was killed they are mirror images???

Either Jack was ready to swiftly use his knife in awkward positions(This is probably whats happening)or he is using his other hand.

Comment

My great gran was left handed but was forced to write with her right hand and learned to use them both. Perhaps that was what happened to the Ripper.
            CLK

Comment

The right handed ripper, placed at nichols head rather than chest sounds likely. Not sure if I'm ready to say that's definitely the case. But was wondering what the explanation would have been for the lack of blood on her breast. I'm still new to this, so understand little about spatter. Or could her head have been turned to start with?

As for the George Yard idea, it's interesting, but it's just as possible Tabram had another customer. What would access have been like to the building?

Comment

Originally posted by CLK View Post
                My great gran was left handed but was forced to write with her right hand and learned to use them both. Perhaps that was what happened to the Ripper.
                I am left handed and I do alot of stuff equally well or even preferred with my right hand. But using a knife? I wouldnt dare try cutting up a turkey much less a woman during a murder.

Maybe JTR had been with MJK before and had planned what he was to do? Maybe once he strangled her it didnt matter and he time to think about how to cut her neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Rowe View Post
                  As much as I hate to say this because it would be a very rare thing indeed but I think there is evidence of that. And I think he may have been able to use both hands equally well. If you look at the way Annie Chapman was killed and the way Mary Kelly was killed they are mirror images???

Either Jack was ready to swiftly use his knife in awkward positions(This is probably whats happening)or he is using his other hand.
                  Are there any images of chapman's injuries? I can only find a mortuary photo, none indicating the wounds.

Comment

I am left handed and I do alot of stuff equally well or even preferred with my right hand. But using a knife? I wouldnt dare try cutting up a turkey much less a woman during a murder.

Maybe JTR had been with MJK before and had planned what he was to do? Maybe once he strangled her it didnt matter and he time to think about how to cut her neck?
                    But if we are assuming Kelly was definitely murdered by the ripper, why would he plan her murder, when ti others appear to be a case of wrong place, wrong time?

Comment

They are rather similar, Mitch - the removal of the abdominal flesh in three flaps being noteworthy in both cases. However, Dr Phillips said that more of the right hand side of Chapman's abdomen was excavated - which makes sense, as the fence obstructed the left hand side of her body to a large extent. In the case of Kelly, the killer could have got up onto the bed to do some of the damage - in fact, he almost certainly did, as there are apparent bloody fingerprints smeared on Kelly's right calf. If they are fingerprints, then it would appear that the killer's left hand was responsible for them - further suggestive evidence that he was holding the knife in his right hand when those smears were made.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by iris84 View Post
                        But if we are assuming Kelly was definitely murdered by the ripper, why would he plan her murder, when ti others appear to be a case of wrong place, wrong time?
                        Well.. Because she may have been in an awkward position for the ripper and if unplanned there is more chance of discovery. But I need to study Eddowes. Whatever side he was working from there is probably his natural side.

Comment

Originally posted by iris84 View Post
                          Are there any images of chapman's injuries? I can only find a mortuary photo, none indicating the wounds.
                          The wounds are described in the inquest by Phillips. Here is a drawing wich represents basically Annies position.
                          Last edited by Mitch Rowe; 03-23-2009, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            They are rather similar, Mitch - the removal of the abdominal flesh in three flaps being noteworthy in both cases. However, Dr Phillips said that more of the right hand side of Chapman's abdomen was excavated - which makes sense, as the fence obstructed the left hand side of her body to a large extent. In the case of Kelly, the killer could have got up onto the bed to do some of the damage - in fact, he almost certainly did, as there are apparent bloody fingerprints smeared on Kelly's right calf. If they are fingerprints, then it would appear that the killer's left hand was responsible for them - further suggestive evidence that he was holding the knife in his right hand when those smears were made.
                            Oh.. I think its most likely JTR came up with a solution if he needed it. I dont think there is much of a chance JTR was ambidextrous just that it seems like it. I think it shows more of how comfortable JTR must have felt with his knife.

Comment

It's worth noting that most papers glossed over the details of Chapman's wounds, exercising the discretion suggested to them by Wynne Baxter. The upshot of this has been that most Ripper books, in referring to the Times or Telegraph, omit some significant details. One or two local papers carried significantly more information in respect of her wounds, however - and we can be thankful that they did. For example, the London Echo of 19th September 1888 reads:

Dr. Phillips: "The abdominal wall had been removed in three portions, two taken from the anterior part, and the other from another part of the body. There was a greater portion of the body removed from the right side than the left. On placing these three flaps of skin together, it was evident that a portion was wanting. I removed the intestines as I found them in the yard. The mesentery vessels were divided through. The large intestine remained in situ, but cut through with a keen incision transversely."
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X