Info from Chichester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info from Chichester

Went to the records office at Chichester today. Nothing too dramatic but some interesting stuff. Three things really, all from family correspondence:

(1) A description of the death of William Druitt, Sr. in a letter from his daughter Georgiana ("Georgie," Montague's sister) to her Aunt Isabella in London (Uncle Robert's wife).

(2) Letter from Ann Druitt, Montague's mother, to the same Isabella Druitt, her sister-in-law. The date is unclear but it appears to be 9th May 1888. The year is definitely 1888. I should be able to check it out for sure from certain references in the letter. The important thing here is that Montague's mother was capable of writing a lucid letter, rather matter-of-fact, to her sister-in-law at a time when she was supposedly mentally ill and was, in fact, about to enter an asylum. This is important as it may speak to the nature of Montague's apparent illness.

(3) A letter from Thomas Druitt, another of Montague's uncles, in Australia to Isabella Druitt dated 27th February 1889 contains the following sentence: "We have the sad news about poor Montague. It came first from Christchurch & I saw the particulars in the Dorset County Chronicle afterwards." Nothing significant but it is interesting.

Also, a charming letter from Charles Druitt (later Rev. Charles) to his sister Katherine (who would die in 1887 at the age of 28) when Charles was about 18 and apparently studying in Germany and Katherine was about 7 and times were much happier for the Druitt family. It reminds us that these were real people just as we are:

"My Dear Katherine,

And I was very glad to have your nice letter about Bubbles and Birthdays. Have you “blone severrall” more of them. Please blow one for me and send it in a letter, because I would rather like to see it. I hope you are also very well. It is rather curious here, for when a brother writes to a sister, or vice versa, or when any relations talk to one another, they always say Thee and Thine, like Quakers. Will you please tell me the name of that sort of stuff people eat, which is cut and has butter or jam put on it, and is sometimes brown and sometimes white? It is very dreadful not to be able to remember what bread is in English. ….

(Concludes with)

I remain your slave for ever and ever and ever, &c &c
    . "
    Last edited by aspallek; 03-17-2009, 01:10 AM.

Good hunting Andy ! Hope tomorrow is at least as productive !

Comment

I should point out a few more interesting finds, though they may not be terribly significant.

Emily writes to her mother of a family visit to (among other places) Wimborne in August 1876. It seems that at least her sister and brother, Katherine and Robert, Jr., were along. This is interesting because a month later Montague writes the "Uncle Robert" letter. Apparently, this was the true nature of the visit and the Latin tutoring happened on the side.

There is also quite an exchange of correspondence between Isabella Druitt (Robert's wife) and one "Vosper Thomas, Registrar" at Wimborne Minster. It seems that Robert and Isabella wanted to donate an altar cross to the Minster, apparently as a memorial to William. After much rather acerbic exchange, the gift was declined by the Minster on December 3, 1888 -- the very date on which many believe Montague was last seen alive. Probably coincidence, yet interesting.

Also a letter from Gertrude to her mother, Isabella, from 13 June 1887 which states that "Aunt William" (i.e. Ann Druitt, William's widow) is to go to Linden Gardens. Linden Gardens in London is only a stone's throw from Strathmore Gardens, where Robert and Isabella lived. What's more coincidental is the none less than Robert Anderson lived in Linden Gardens.

Comment

I can confirm that date of 9th May 1888 for the letter from Ann Druitt. In the letter there is a reference to the Queen visiting Berlin. Queen Victoria did indeed visit her daughter in Berlin in late April 1888.

Comment

OK, things get curiouser. Ann Druitt was to go to Linden Gardens in 1887. I just realized there is another Linden Gardens in Chiswick.

In this Linden Gardens, Chiswick, lived a "Mrs. W H Smith" in 1889-90. Need I say more? There was also a surgeon by the name of Robert Podmore.

What's even curiouser is that surgeon "Leonard Bramah Diplock" lived just adjacent to Linden Gardens. Presumably, Thomas' son?

Comment

Hi Andy,

Leonard B. Diplock was indeed Dr. Diplock' son, I have a letter of his giving an address of

Ashwood
            Bolton Gardens
            Chiswick
            August 2nd 1893

Hope this helps.

Rgds
            John

Comment

Thanks, John. That is indeed the address given in the 1889-90 directory. Bolton Gardens does not seem to be there today, at least not by that name, but it was apparently right off Linden Gardens

Comment

Hi Andy,

Bolton Gardens may have become part of Heathfield Terrace which I believe is still there.

From The Times:
                "On 8th. May 1918 at Ashwood, Heathfield Terrace Chiswick, Leonard Bramah Diplock JP. MRCS. LSA. third son of the late Thomas Bramah Diplock MD. of Chiswick age 50 [?59] funeral service Monday 13th May, Christ Church Turnham Green. No flowers by request"

Rgds
                John

Comment

I've been up and down Linden Gardens in the censuses in the hope of finding a small private nursing home, but nothing much that I can see.

This is from Kelly's 1889-90.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy & Robert,

National Probate Calendar has Leonard down as "of 21 Heathfield Terrace Chiswick".

Also in August the same year Joseph Bramah Diplock of Ranelagh Avenue Barnes died at 21 Heathfield Terrace.

Rgds
                    John

Comment

Hi Andy

Interesting information. I presume the reference to "Bubbles and Birthdays" refers to this famous painting by Millais.

Chris

Christopher T. George
                      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

John, this is from Google maps. Linden Gardens at 'A'.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the map, and from the details you have posted and my own thirty - something year old A-Z, Linden gardens seems to have been a U shape and the road running along the top from left to right may have been Bolton Gardens which would have run into Heathfield Terace.

As we have "Ashwood" at No.1 Bolton Gardens and "Ashwood" at 21 Heathfield Terrace I guess that at some time the two were joined together and the house renumbered.

That's the best I can think of.

Rgds
                          John

Comment

Bolton Gardens on an 1897 map. Below the H in High Road marked in yellow.

Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi Roy,

That is excellant, thanks so much.

Rgds
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X