Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The origin of the carthorse-punch?!

Hello you all!

I remember a story told about MJK being able to knock down a cart-horse with one punch!

To put it simple; where does this story originate from?!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Hi Jukka

Nice to speak to you again.

The quote is from Colin Wilson comparing Mary's alleged attractiveness with the IPN drawing of her in which she looked as if she could....etc.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I've known quite a few cart horses...

Looking at the drawing, looking at the body, and then thinking of those horses, one thing is abundantly clear...

Colin Wilson must have never known a cart horse in his life, not even if it bit him...
      ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Hello you all!

And now for something slightly different;

Looking at the crime scene photo, MJK's arm isn't necessarily a pugilist's one...

So, despite having a reputation of being good in self-defence; she should have taken boxing-lessons...

All the best
        Jukka
        "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          Hi Jukka

Nice to speak to you again.

The quote is from Colin Wilson comparing Mary's alleged attractiveness with the IPN drawing of her in which she looked as if she could....etc.
          She was definitely a chunky looking lady from the sketch. . .

Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hello Chris!

Yes, in a LVP woman's gear...

But she doesn't have an amazon-warrior's arms even on this sketch...

All the best
            Jukka

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
              Hello Chris!

Yes, in a LVP woman's gear...

But she doesn't have an amazon-warrior's arms even on this sketch...

All the best
              Jukka
              The sketch of course might show a woman not too much like the actual Mary Jane Kelly. We just don't know. On the other hand, if this is anything like her, it appears to show a woman who knew her own mind and who could usually take care of herself. Which to me makes her murder and subsequent mutilation all the sadder.

Chris
              Christopher T. George

Comment

Hi Jukka,

I dont think there are many or any accounts that don't use a word like "stout" when describing Mary Jane...a term that is to my eye discreditted by the size of her legs and arms in MJK1. I think buxom and perhaps with a little waist girth is where the term might have some truth. She doesnt have developed forearm muscles to any great degree, nor do her legs suggest she carried any weight around regularly.

She was a prostitute from her late teens, so its unlikely she had developed any muscle size from hard labour of any kind.

But I suspect she was the type that could take care of herself....she is after all the only alleged Ripper victim that may have wounds that resulted from her attempting to mount some kind of defense against her attacker.

Cheers Jukka.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                  She was definitely a chunky looking lady from the sketch. . .
                  If it even resembles her in life, which we can only really guess at. But "chunky" doesn't equal "can punch out a big horse". I'm not skinny-minny over here, myself, and I am quite sure that if I attempted to do that, the result would just be me crying over a busted hand. It wouldn't have been much better when I was younger, thinner, fitter, and threw hay bales and was around horses all the time.

She was Mary Jane Kelly -- not Xena Warrior Princess.

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                  But I suspect she was the type that could take care of herself....she is after all the only alleged Ripper victim that may have wounds that resulted from her attempting to mount some kind of defense against her attacker.
                  I definitely would agree that she was the kind of girl who was capable (in general) of looking after herself -- at least with the normal sort of obstreperous client.
                  Last edited by Khanada; 03-13-2009, 06:21 PM. Reason: add-on
                  ~ Khanada

Comment

Originally posted by Khanada View Post
                    If it even resembles her in life, which we can only really guess at. But "chunky" doesn't equal "can punch out a big horse". I'm not skinny-minny over here, myself, and I am quite sure that if I attempted to do that, the result would just be me crying over a busted hand. It wouldn't have been much better when I was younger, thinner, fitter, and threw hay bales and was around horses all the time.

She was Mary Jane Kelly -- not Xena Warrior Princess.

I definitely would agree that she was the kind of girl who was capable (in general) of looking after herself -- at least with the normal sort of obstreperous client.

Oh, Khanada!

Perhaps Colin Wilson's remark about her was written tongue in cheek. I expect it was, in fact. The comment might also betray some misogyny on his part as well.

Chris
                    Christopher T. George

Comment

Oh, Khanada!

Perhaps Colin Wilson's remark about her was written tongue in cheek. I expect it was, in fact. The comment might also betray some misogyny on his part as well.

Chris
                      Oh, probably so, on both. But I still just can't help but snort and roll my eyes over it. It's so absurd it's funny.
                      ~ Khanada

Comment

It's hilarious. But where are you guys getting 'chunky' from that pic? You sound like casting directors from model agencies. She looks normal. And well-proportioned. And I don't know about anything else, but they got the height right. Look at her position against the lintel of the door. Her hat's just about level with it.

Comment

I settled on Twiggy. Look how thin the legs are.

Comment

Perhaps Colin Wilson's remark about her was written tongue in cheek. I expect it was, in fact. The comment might also betray some misogyny on his part as well...
                            ...or a profound dislike of horses
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I suspect Colin Wilson's joke was prompted by this picture......

Click image for larger version

Name:	MJK IPN 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	656212
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                              X