Help please new & confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please new & confused

I was recently looking on amazon at a book called the ultimate jack the ripper sourcebook by Stewart P Evans & Keith Skinner and came across a similar looking book by the same author's called the ultimate jack the ripper companion.Are these the the same book? If not what are the differences and which one would be most recommended

It's the same book, davbeatle. The Sourcebook is the UK edition, and the Companion is the US edition. Same text and either one is indispensible for studying this subject. You might, however, want to start with a general history of the case by, say, Sugden or Begg before you dive into the Sourcebook/Companion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
      It's the same book, davbeatle. The Sourcebook is the UK edition, and the Companion is the US edition. Same text and either one is indispensible for studying this subject. You might, however, want to start with a general history of the case by, say, Sugden or Begg before you dive into the Sourcebook/Companion.
      Thanks for your help Grave and them scallywags at amazon were going to take my money twice for the same product.p.s i've also ordered the Sugden book as you suggested

Comment

davbeatle,

You have excellent taste. I predict that you will do well here.

Comment

Is this a newish book?
          Amazon are showing it as not yet released, but that might be the paperback edition:

Its exactly the sort of book I am looking for at the moment. Had I not found it I might have considered compiling all the evidence myself. I want to get back to the basic facts.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonH View Post
            Is this a newish book?
            Amazon are showing it as not yet released, but that might be the paperback edition:

Its exactly the sort of book I am looking for at the moment. Had I not found it I might have considered compiling all the evidence myself. I want to get back to the basic facts.
            Hi Gordon

Since it says "Paperback (New edition)" I am assuming the authors might have updated some of the information, but Stewart P. Evans could confirm that. The JtR Sourcebook aka JtR Companion though has been out in hardback since 2001. As GM says, the information in the book is indispensible for anyone interested in the case. Evans and Skinner have done a bravura job in marshalling all the information. Incidentally their Jack the Ripper: Letters from Hell is an equally important and worthwhile book. I think you will get a lot out of both titles.

All the best

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Thanks, I have found it in hardback as a used item. I am going to order a copy of the paperback.
              I found "Scotland Yard Investigates" to be a very good book on the investigation itself and the police issues.

Comment

Working...
              X