Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Stora Tumlehed?!

Hello you all!

I remember there were talks on the crashed boards about the home region of Long Liz!

There were also some photos of if about the coast-line of some sort and if I remember correctly about a house near Liz's former home...

So; could anyone re-present them?!

Ärade svenska vänner, varsågoda!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Jukka,

Elisabeth Stride (nee Gustafsdottir) was born on November 27, 1841, at Stora Tumlehead, Hisingen Island, Torlanda Parish. It is some 20 miles from Gothenburg.

Daniel Olsson has written several articles for Ripperologist on Liz's life in Sweden, the latest being "Elisabeth Stride: The Yiddish Connection" in Ripperologist 96 (October 2008). You can inquire about back issues at contact@ripperologist.biz

Don.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Don writes about:

"Hisingen Island"

...but Hisingen is a peninsula, protruding north-west of Gothenburg to be exact. Being a Swede, and being cheered on by Jukka, I thought I´d better contribute something...!

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

As Don mentioned, there are some good pieces on Liz in Ripperologist by Daniel, and in a copy I have of the Best of Ripperologist edited by Paul Begg. The details already mentioned are in that. Daniel does mention that she was baptized December 5th, 1843 there.

I believe the only things known of her between 1843 and 1859 are within Parish biblical logs.

It sounds like an ideal rural farming environment though, the author is quite taken with the landscape and healthy environment there.

How often did she think of a farm life for herself, one wonders.

Best regards.

Comment

A few pics here:

Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hello you all!

perrymason, I remember there were talks about Liz's school days on the thread about her intelligence. Glenn based his information on the school records, showing Liz being pretty smart student!

Sam, tusen tack for the presentation of the site!

And to all of you for presenting the info on Ripperologist!

All the best
            Jukka
            "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Pioneering Swedish Researcher

The pioneering Swedish Stride researcher was, of course, Klas Lithner a public prosecutor living at Karlskrona, Sweden. The following are some notes he sent to England way back in February 1976 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	kl1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	655822
              SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

More from Klas Lithner

This was sent by Klas in May 1976 -

Name:	kl2.jpg
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	655823

more to follow...
                SPE

Comment

Klas Lithner Research

May 1976 research continued -

Name:	kl3.jpg
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	655824

more to follow...
                  SPE

Comment

Klas Lithner Research

Conclusion of May 1976 piece -

Name:	kl4.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	655825
                    SPE

Comment

Klas Lithner Research

Jack the Ripper article in Swedish publlished by Klas Lithner in 1983 -

Name:	kl5.jpg
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	655826
                      SPE

Comment

Klas Lithner

In 1986 Klas Lithner was in touch with Elizabeth Stride's descendants in Sweden, unfortunately there was no family photograph of her.
                        SPE

Comment

Thanks for sharing those, Stewart. Fascinating.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Klas Lithner Research

In 1988 Klas Lithner discovered the reason why Elisabeth Gustafsdotter had been stricken from the official 'Prostitutes file' with the Gothenburg Police Authority. She had got a job as a maidservant with a Mrs Maria Wijsner who was married to a theatre musician. Below is a copy of the statement of employment which translates as 'The servant-maid Elisabeth Gustafsson (= Gustafsdotter) was engaged in my service on November 10 and I am responsible for her good conduct as long as she stays in my service. Gothenburg November 13, 1865, Mrs. Maria Wijsner, Husargaten 42'.

Name:	kl6.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	655827
                            SPE

Comment

Klas Lithner was an impressive and gifted researcher whose contributions to several genealogical and crime historical periodicals cannot be overrated. I had the benefit of getting to know him and being invited into his large flat during the last two years of his life (he was during that time living in Malmö, not far from my town Helsingborg in South of Sweden, and had moved away from Karlskrona).
                              I first knew about him thanks to seeing him in a Swedish-produced amateur documentary on Stride and the Ripper murders.

Today we have a new generation of researchers in Sweden, like Daniel Olsson and Stefan Rantzow, who are continuing the quest into the life, decendants and personal info on Elizabeth Stride/Elisabet Gustafsdotter, but it was Klas Lithner who paved way for it all.

Thanks Stewart, for posting the above.

All the best
                              The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Working...
                              X