Which should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which should I buy?

Well, I'm just brand new in Ripperology, and I want a book to start ....And I'm doubtful: which book should I buy, Sugden's or Beggs's??? Thanks for the advice : )
    http://crimenesdewhitechapel.blogspot.com
    My usual nick is Irene Adler

Hi Morgana,

Welcome to the boards.

You can't go wrong with either book but my personal choice would be Sugden. Enjoy.

c.d.

Comment

Both are very good but, as I just said on another thread, Sugden is my boy. If I could own only one book on JtR, it would be his. Anyway, if I were you, I'd start with Sugden and then move on to all the others.

Comment

An alternative suggestion...

I can only echo what others have said - Sugden, in particular, is indispensable. However, if you want a no-nonsense introduction to the essentials of the case, please also consider Hutchinson & Clack's The London of Jack the Ripper: Then and Now. It doesn't supplant the Big Guns in this field, but it's honestly a cracking little book.

Where it might have the edge over Sugden, Begg et al is in its sense of place. You get a huge amount of photographs that show you just how downtrodden Jack's neighbourhood was - something that can only be guessed at by reading about it. This is an aspect of the case that's often overlooked, and the visuals really help in this regard.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

If your new to Ripperology then I'd recommend Donald Rumbelow's 'The Complete Jack the Ripper' as the best place to start as it covers just about everything. Then I'd progress onto Sugdens and then 'The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook' and 'Letters From Hell' both by Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner. Also 'Jack the Ripper, Scotland Yard Investigates' by Stewart Evans and Donald Rumbelow.
          Modesty forbids me from mentioning 'The London of Jack the Ripper, Then and Now' by Philip Hutchinson and Robert Clack. So I wont mention it

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
            Modesty forbids me from mentioning 'The London of Jack the Ripper, Then and Now' by Philip Hutchinson and Robert Clack.
            ... too late! (I wasn't bribed, honestly!)
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Thanks Gareth, cheques in the post. It's in sterling though.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                Thanks Gareth, cheques in the post. It's in sterling though.
                Bugger! I was hoping for Bratislavan zonks.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Well, I can't argue with any of the opinions here.

I should, however, point out that all the photos in Rob's and mine's book have been faked in Photoshop. In fact, none of the places ever existed and the modern day shots were done with us making up little models like William Stewart did.

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                    Well, I can't argue with any of the opinions here.

I should, however, point out that all the photos in Rob's and mine's book have been faked in Photoshop. In fact, none of the places ever existed and the modern day shots were done with us making up little models like William Stewart did.

PHILIP
                    Oh, remember those pictures I sent you last week Phil?

All photoshop. Right down to the numberplates on the vans. Sorry.

Comment

Morgana,

These folks definitely will put you one the right track.

Donald Rumbelow's book is one of my favorites. It's old, of course, but he was the guy who discovered a lot of official records on the case and it makes very interesting reading. Then any of the books that the people here have recommended are very good. Evans and Skinner's Sourcebook is a must.

Hutchinson's and Clack's book is really good to keep next to you when you're reading any book on the Ripper. You can go right into their book and get a good idea of what the areas looked like. And, as you know by now, they are right here on the Casebook.

Best of luck and happy reading.

Oh, James Tully's book The Secret of Prisoner 1167 is a favorite, too. It promotes a suspect but it has a lot of interesting detail and a pretty good lilttle discussion of Miller's Ct.

Cel
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Celesta's right about Tully's book, Morgana - but it's highly advisable to start with a non-suspect-related book, like those recommended previously.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

There are a few which you have to consider indispensable if you intend on studying the cases seriously....and A-Z and Mr Sugden's book would be among my priority recommendations,.. knowing now how good they are.

I agree with Sam Flynn,...suspect driven review of the data isn't in a students best interest initially.

Best regards and happy reading....cheers.

Comment

Thanks, Sam & Mike, I wasn't recommending that as immediate reading, which is why I put it at the bottom. Should have made it clearer though.
                            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

James Tully's book:

Although you might not agree with Kelly as a suspect the first few chapters have a fantastic description of Spittalfields and Whitechapel in the 1880's and he writes with real empathy about the people who lived there.

I am just rereading it because I spend so much time in the Bunhill, City Road area these days which is where he lived, where his wife worked and where he murdered her. Although the area was heavily bombed during the war.

As a murder case on its own it is fascinating without the ripper link.

Comment

Working...
                              X