Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted signs on walls near some of the sites

Hi there, people.
    I'm new to this site, but have been interested in the Ripper for a long time.
    I went for a walk round the east End two weeks ago, and noticed that three of the victims have been 'immortalised' by painted signs on walls near to the places they were murdered - Elisabeth Stride (spelt that way on the sign), Catharine Eddowes and Mary Ann Nichols have been thus honoured by signs bearing their names. Mary Kelly and Annie Chapman have not. I wondered if anybody knew of this? Why it has been done? Why have two of the victims not had signs painted for them?
    This is intriguing, and indeed, annoying me. If anybody knows anything about these signs, I'd be very grateful to know more.

Simple answer? They have. You just didn't see them. Trust me, they have. I can't recall where the MJK one is right now, but the Chapman one is just after the Wilkes Street junction.

None of them are at the actual spots, just on the streets.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by kate-kelly View Post
      Hi there, people.
      I'm new to this site, but have been interested in the Ripper for a long time.
      I went for a walk round the east End two weeks ago, and noticed that three of the victims have been 'immortalised' by painted signs on walls near to the places they were murdered - Elisabeth Stride (spelt that way on the sign), Catharine Eddowes and Mary Ann Nichols have been thus honoured by signs bearing their names. Mary Kelly and Annie Chapman have not. I wondered if anybody knew of this? Why it has been done? Why have two of the victims not had signs painted for them?
      This is intriguing, and indeed, annoying me. If anybody knows anything about these signs, I'd be very grateful to know more.

Hi Kate,

I seem to recall that some of those were posted on here at one time. Did you take any pictures of the signs? Why not post them on the East End Drawing and Photos link?

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it and learn alot.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I think Alan Sharp managed to get the whole set and did post them hereas far as I recall.

Comment

Hi Kate,
          I walked round the sites last week,but didnt see any signs.What do they look like and where are they?

Comment

These are the three that I have managed to find, and these photos were taken a couple of years ago. I've no idea where the Hanbury Street and Dorset Street ones are/were though....

Durward Street
            Click image for larger version

Name:	stencil durward.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	656952

Henriques Street (on the wall of the former Harris' Tobacconists building)

Name:	stencil henriques.jpg
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	656953

Mitre Square (on the wall of the Sir John Cass school)

Name:	stencil mitre.jpg
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	656954

All the best
            Andrew

Comment

I think the other two have been removed by the Council. They were definitely there when the set were stencilled but they aren't now.

PHILIP

Comment

Nice gesture as far as I'm concerned.

So do we know who put them there, or is nobody confessing for fear of a spanking from the council?

B.
                Bailey
                Wellington, New Zealand
                hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

thanks Andrew for postin the pics. I dont usually approve of graffiti but...mmm..I kinda like them

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey View Post
                    Nice gesture as far as I'm concerned.

So do we know who put them there, or is nobody confessing for fear of a spanking from the council?

B.
                    There's still no idea. There was a suspicion within the WS1888 at the time but I'm certain the idea was unfounded.

PHILIP

Comment

i like them!

thanks.
                      babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

I found the other two stencils while searching for something completely different -- we've been being indulgent and watching From Hell this evening, starting with the features disc. As always, we just had to watch the 1980 Stephen Knight "documentary" that's an easter egg -- there are several things about it that really make me chuckle, but tonight I re-noticed the insanely inaccurate map that has Hanbury Street south of Dorset, and Bucks Row west of just about everything. I went hunting the 'net to see if I could find the image, and while that's been a wash so far, I found the other two stencils!

Annie Chapman:

Detail:

Mary Kelly:

They're on this webpage -- Jack the Ripper - London's Serial Killer of 1888.

Pictures of all five stencils appear at the bottom of the page (click on them for very large versions), but make sure you stop in the middle at "Mystery Image of Jack the Ripper appears in Australia", which explains about the "image which has appeared on the cross about the tombstone of Walter Thomas Porriott" in Brisbane, Australia, and which is said to show a "side-on view of a capped man, arm raised above his head with a dagger in his hand".
                        ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Working...
                        X