Mary Jane's grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Jane's grave

I thought I would open a thread for anyone who has been to Mary Jane Kelly's gravesite in St. Mary's Roman Catholic Cemetery at Leytonstone, or people who are curious about it. I was there this past September while on vacation in Britain. Most striking is the astounding array of ornate statuary that fills most of the grounds, and how Mary's grave stands out as the only one in the poor section off to one side that always has flowers on it. I had read that people sometimes leave gin bottles and things like that on the grave, things she would have liked in life. There were none when I was there, but amidst the flowers and candles and crosses the most disturbing thing I saw was a handful of coins that someone had left. There was also a little cat figurine, and I immediately thought- "Mrs. Prater's kitten Mr. Diddles?" And of course, the grave marker bearing the name "Marie Jeanette Kelly," the French soubriquet that made her feel classy. All in all, a very sad place.

What interesting things have others seen left at the site, or left there themselves? Ever meet any interesting characters there? Or any other anecdotes having to do with Mary's grave.

Hi Kensei.

I've been there several times. It's always so much easier to find than the grave of poor Timothy Evans, executed for the Christie murders at Rillington Place in 1950 (who, as some Casebookers will know, is buried in the same cemetery).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2623a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	655577
    Timothy Evans' grave

The gravestone for MJK has changed over the years and we don't know if it's in the exact place; it's only a rough estimation, I understand. I don't think she had a proper memorial at all before John Morrison placed one there in 1986 or 1987.

Name:	DSCN2616a.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	655579
    Mary Jane Kelly's memorial

I've never found anyone else at the site when I've been, but there's always plenty of trinkets around the spot. It looks rather cheap.

Name:	DSCN2614a.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	655578
    Diddles in residence - the antithesis of Greyfriars Bobby

There's a very touching memorial a few plots away to a promising footballer who died when he was only 14 in the 1950s, with a very well made statue on top. It's actually this memorial which acts as a marker for most people on the lookout for the MJK grave.

Name:	DSCN2619a.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	655580

The McCarthy Memorial (large!) is just by the chapel door next to the roadway as you enter the cemetery.

Name:	DSCN2613a.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	655576

I took these shots in the spring of 2007.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Nice pics, Philip - many thanks for those. The cemetary looks like the kind of place I could spend ages taking photos of all the old ornate headstones!

Happy New Year, matey!

B.
      Bailey
      Wellington, New Zealand
      hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
      www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

I'll echo the thanks for those pics, Phil. So I guess Mr. Diddles has been there for quite a while.

Before I went, when I read here on Casebook that I was supposed to look for the statue of a football player, I guess I was so caught up in all the planning for my trip that I made the stupid American mistake of not realizing that that meant what we call soccer over here.

When I met you on your tour you asked me if I'd seen the McCarthy monument. I'm sure I did since I went right past it, but I was completely focused on finding MJK so I really didn't take note of it. There was also the fact that since I'd started a walking tour of all the murder sites at 7:00 that morning, with cemeteries in the late afternoon, my feet were absolutely killing me with excruciating pain.

Say, can you provide information on where the current grave marker came from, and whose words "None but the lonely hearts can know my sadness" are?

Cheers.

Comment

Hello you all!

When I visited London in spring 2007, I thought to buy a bunch of violets for the grave of MJK!

Unfortunately my schedule didn't fit to visit her memorial then. But who knows, I might very well visit London again and then...

All the best
          Jukka
          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

The quote is from a translation of a poem by Goethe. No idea why.

The history of the headstone is slightly more cloudy. John Morrison did one in either 1986 or 1987. This one was either vandalised, stolen or removed by Morrison himself (cause unknown but I think he got the hump about something). This is the headstone that said 'The prima donna of Spitalfields'.

A second low-quality one replaced it. This was a simple marble cube with lettering done on it with what looked like a stencil. I think I remember being told that the cemetery manager deemed it unsightly for such a 'popular' grave and had it replaced with the one that stands there today.

PHILIP

Comment

I visited Marys grave last week for the first time in 16years,and its very much still like the photos show. There were a few coins there,which I found quite touching. It was very peaceful. In the four times Ive been there over the years, Ive never bumped into anyone else.
              I remember reading somewhere that her grave was one of the most photographed graves 'of an ordinary person' in europe,along with Jim Morrison in Paris. Has anyone else heard this?

I think its appropiate that the headstones low key. I wonder what the future holds? At the risk of being a hypocrite, hope it doesnt become too touristy.

Comment

Hi Philip,

It's rather surprising that Timothy Evans' grave is still so well-tended. By whom, we wonder?

Cheers,

Graham

PS: had to look twice and get my other specs, but for a bad moment it seemed to me that Mary Jane might have played inside-right for the Arsenal....
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham

The headstone fell down and is now lying on top of Tim's grave. There's no maintenance needed; no flowers as a rule (and I suspect the few there are are placed there by tourists) and only standard tidying up done by the gardeners.

PHILIP

Comment

Hi, Kensei; you always start such interesting threads!

The dramatic 'McCarthy Monument' in Phil's photo reminds me of the ones I've seen in New Orleans.
                    19th C. Catholic Funerary Sculptures are a photographer's dream!

- Thanks & Best Regards, Archaic

Comment

This is really a wonderful thread! I was on a short tour in France with a dance troupe in February, and before flying back to the States, was lucky to have a few days in London - a dream come true! - to explore, take a JTR tour (with Don), etc. This was almost better than performing in FR! Anyway, here is some additional 'eye-candy', from February 8, 2009...

Comment

Nice piccies Tenth Bell,thanks for sharing them.

Just some observations...

That grave could seriously do with a good old tidy up,and wash down.

The plastic flowers make it look a bit tacky.

But Mr Diddles looks cool!!

Comment

Originally posted by anna View Post
                          Nice piccies Tenth Bell,thanks for sharing them.

Just some observations...

That grave could seriously do with a good old tidy up,and wash down.

The plastic flowers make it look a bit tacky.

But Mr Diddles looks cool!!
                          Yes thanks Tenth Bell. Yes I suppose I should have helped tidy it up while I was there;felt I was bein watched and didnt want to get chased away for intefering! Will do next time though. Yes, plastic flowers are not as good as real ones,but I guess they mean theres flowers there all year round.Unless of course,she recieves so many visitors that thered always be real flowers there. Is Mr Diddles the cat or the teddy?

Comment

Anyone know that picture? It looks like a painting. Is it supposed to be MJK?

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
                              Anyone know that picture? It looks like a painting. Is it supposed to be MJK?
                              As is currently mentioned in many places on the site, it's a reconstruction done by our own Jane Coram in 2005. Kensai put it there when he visited last autumn.

PHILIP

Comment

Working...
                              X